My Wagon Project!! O'tannenbrown

View and post your 510 project(s)
goichi1
Supporter

My Wagon Project!! O'tannenbrown

Post by goichi1 »

Ok, I have been trying to get time to start a new thread for the wagon, so here it goes!! I got it about 3 or 4 weeks ago, didn't have much time to do anything to it as I am building a shed/shop in my back yard. As most know I had brought a Sunny 1200 truck back from Japan with me and was planning to restore it as my next project, well, things changed when I had the opportunity to buy this wagon from Carter. I gotta say, that was about the fastest purchase I have made on a car. Went and looked at it and ended up driving it home the same day!!

SO the truck is out and the wagon is in!! I loved the Sunny truck but I really like the wagon because I can haul the whole family around. I have always wanted one so it was pure luck that I got this one!! It's a solid runner and mostly original. THis is how it looked when I got it....
Attachments
07242011_bye_bye_O_Tannenbrown_1_.jpg
07242011_bye_bye_O_Tannenbrown_1_.jpg (107.24 KiB) Viewed 8908 times
goichi1
Supporter

Re: My Wagon Project!! O'tannenbrown

Post by goichi1 »

I had a set of Volk Racing TE-37's that I brought back from Japan so I put them on, used the tires off the wheels that were already on the car when I got it. The last pic is getting them mounted. that was about a week or so ago.

Tonight I finally got around to messing with it a little, other than driving it everyday to work. I started with a can of engine degreaser, took it to the car wash and sprayed the motor down good and rinsed it off, there is a small oil leak so I wanted to figure out where it's leaking. Drove it back home and sure enough there it was, leaking at the front cover, right at the top where it meets the head. so I checked the bolts and all the cover bolts were a little loose, so I tightened them up and it's barely leaking now, but still seeping out a little. I can live with that.

Then I washed it and waxed it, first with a compound type wax, then a carnuba (sp) wax, it turned out great. then I decided that it needed the fender emblems, so I just happened to have a set of nice ones, stuck them on. While I was looking for them, I also found my plastic SSS grille, so what better to put it one than a 72 wagon....so on it went!! it's original un-restored condition, so it fits nicely with the rest of the car.
Attachments
IMG_0793.JPG
IMG_0793.JPG (133.09 KiB) Viewed 8900 times
IMG_0783.JPG
IMG_0783.JPG (80.49 KiB) Viewed 8900 times
photo(6).JPG
photo(6).JPG (98.29 KiB) Viewed 8900 times
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Nice Rich! It's only been a few days and I miss running the wagon already!
Jason
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Congrats on the score Rich, great looking wagon. With a second baby having just arrived, I am in need of a family wagon too.
NICKLE&DIME

Post by NICKLE&DIME »

Very nice wagon, that color is my fav next to the 546 green. I personally like the 72 grill best. Can you please post more pics of the su air filter plenum?? what are the plans for engine?
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Ill take some more pics of the airfilter soon, as for the engine, I have an SR20DE in the garage for that I may put in it....but still debating....it has an oil leak and radiator has a small hiss somewhere, I can hear it when I park and shut off the engine, but cant see anything leaking.

I still need to clean out the inside a little better, just too busy lately with the shed and all the other things on the "to do" list. It runs nice though.......little on the loud side, but not too bad.
NICKLE&DIME

Post by NICKLE&DIME »

The wagon looks sleek without the rack. Did all wagons come with roof racks? the other silver wheels are nice!
q-tip

Post by q-tip »

hey rich, for that radiator problem just put some pepper in the radiator and run it for a full heat cycle and it will probly fix any small leaks. its an old school trick but it works and wont plug up the thermostat like a sealer can
'72 4dr w KA24DE
'76 620 king cab
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

cOOL! I might try that.....I am going camping next weekend near Baker Lake, so I want to take the wagon so I can sleep in the back, it's like a work camping trip, so I don't want to take much so I can pack up and leave early....
q-tip

Post by q-tip »

man that why ive always wanted a wagon, theyre like a mini suv, but way cooler. i wonder if i could get one on a scout frame?....
'72 4dr w KA24DE
'76 620 king cab
miguel sss

Post by miguel sss »

Nice wagon....here in Portugal only have 2 wagons...
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

q-tip wrote:hey rich, for that radiator problem just put some pepper in the radiator and run it for a full heat cycle and it will probly fix any small leaks. its an old school trick but it works and wont plug up the thermostat like a sealer can
Haha, more like an old school "wives tale". You might as well go buy some radiator stop leak at autozone, that works about just as good :lol:
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Ok, I found the hole, its in the top, right where the core is brazed to the top tank, about in the middle just under the cap. I will probably just get a better radiator for the SR anyway.

So, today I took a break from working on cleaning out the garage and washed both the coupe and the wagon, I also decided to check the cowl drains on the wagon, good thing I did, it's full or crap as usual. got that all cleaned out and draining good.

As for the oil leak, it's considerably less of a leak than before. hardly even leaves a spot over night, so I am happy about that for now. Also, I don't feel too bad about swapping out the motor for an SR now that I have noticed that the motor that's in it now is not the original motor.
Attachments
IMG_0815.JPG
IMG_0815.JPG (138.23 KiB) Viewed 8544 times
IMG_0803.JPG
IMG_0803.JPG (149.89 KiB) Viewed 8544 times
IMG_0802.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG (49.42 KiB) Viewed 8544 times
q-tip

Post by q-tip »

ive had good luck with pepper, saved the heater core in my 'yota. ive also taken a radiator apart that was half plugged with stop leak, but that was probly an over use circumstance. haha
'72 4dr w KA24DE
'76 620 king cab
70bird

Post by 70bird »

Where do you plan on getting your cross member and trans mount for the Sr from?