New Ottawa member

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
DADZSUN
Supporter

New Ottawa member

Post by DADZSUN »

Hey there!

I'm happy to say that I'm the proud new owner of a '72 2 door 510. I thought I'd organize my thoughts/introduction in an easier to read list format.

First the why:
  • - I'm turning 40 this September and I've always wanted a car the same age as me (despite being a '72 model year, she was build in Nov '71).
  • - I've always wanted a Datsun 510 but a search many years ago left me discouraged. Having recently seen the Transformers movie, I was motivated to search once again...
  • - My oldest son is only 4 short years away from driving and I wanted him to learn standard on a car which will be in the family going foward. This car will be autocrossed with my kids as passengers to learn. Eventually both of my boys will hone their save-your-life street skills autocrossing it as well.
  • - I wanted a car which my sons and I can work on together and to show them how a car works mechanically.
  • - I wanted something fun to cruise around in - that doesn't require horsepower to make it fun. A car which is totally engaging to drive. Something of possession I can take pride in.
Now the car & extras
  • - OEM paint, engine, tranny, interior.
  • - Was a daily summer driver. After purchasing it, I started it right up and drove it the 30min home.
  • - Remarkably, the car has been owned in the Ottawa area it's entire life! Typically the copious amounts of salt used in the winter is efficient at rusting things up here.
  • - ... having said that, there's VERY little rust, in fact there was none that I could see. A previous owner had coated the entire body with that thick sticky black coating.
  • - Previous owner completely reworked the underside with urethane bushings everywhere, all the arms/links repainted. Rebuilt calipers, new pads.
  • - Includes a rebuilt & lightly bored L20B with racing cam, zero miles. Pair of sidedraft Webber 40s with manifold.
  • - Includes a parts car with a seized L20B with a potential Peanut head and a working 5 speed tranny. Ground Control suspension. Besides that, I don't see anything else useable except a spare windshield.
Short term plan
  • - Replace the interior with a new carpet, headliner, seat covers (where/who?) and door panels (where/who?). This is a MUST to get my wife to actually tollerate a ride. :lol:
  • - Remove the Cherry bomb side exit exhaust for a vanilla MagnaFlow-type rear exit.
  • - New rubber door/window seals.
  • - Touch-up paint.
  • - Drive it and enjoy it until she's parked this winter.
Medium term plan - over the winter
  • - Rear disc conversion.
  • - 5 speed swap.
  • - Mount the potential Peanut head from the seized motor onto the fresh L20B with racing cam and Webber 40 carbs. Don't know if that will work yet, or if that's even a good combination. Personally I'm surprised/happy with the L16's mid range torque, I'm assuming I'll be very pleased with the L20B and hot parts.
  • - Swap the Ground Control suspension over from the parts car.
  • - Work on any rust that I can find.
  • - Design & install a Class 2 receiver for my bike hitch (I only use 2" bike hitches). Nothing will be cooler than using my 510 to haul my bikes to a trail ride. 8)
  • - Drive it and enjoy it.
A little about me
  • - I've had a few successful years autocrossing a 1993 RX7 FD, and more recently a Nissan 350z which brought me a couple of club championships (Motorsport Club of Ottawa) and other club/events FTDs, and a podium at the Nationals. The plan is to NOT race this car seriously (read: no R compound tires :wink: ).
  • - I love to bike. LOTS of racing in our family, particularily Mountain Bike and recently Cyclocross. Mountain Biking actually gives me more of a rush thatn Autocross/Lapping ever did. AWESOME way to hone your reflexes for Solo2. Check out my half assed attempt to record places where I ride: http://www.OttawaVelo.com
I plan on doing a MUCH better job at recording my adventures with this car on soon-to-be site http://www.dadzsun.com. I don't expect anybody to really visit it much, but I do hope to provide some interesting lessons and information for future newbies.

I just LOVE how the car looks and sits now. The previous owner added the black BRE stripes and D-slot rims along with fat 205/60 R13 tires. I was very surprised just how much fun it was to cruise around it. I live in the country and going for a 6-7 PM tour on quiet country roads when the light is soft and the air is cool just rocks. 8)

It should take me little time to get up to speed but I am very appreciate of help & information. I look forward to learning everything there is about this car and eventually hoping to help others down the road.

And now here she is: :D
Attachments
Picture_3.JPG
Picture_3.JPG (87.56 KiB) Viewed 5184 times
Picture_1.JPG
Picture_1.JPG (96.65 KiB) Viewed 5184 times
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
Rojo Cinco Diez
Supporter

Re: New Ottawa member

Post by Rojo Cinco Diez »

Nice.....DIME.......can we see the engine bay and interior//////////
Some people dream , I live my dreams
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Now that looks like a classic 80's dime. Reminds me of my first 510; a grabber green 73 2dr :D

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510Freak
Supporter

Post by 510Freak »

8)
Looks great.
Can hardly believe 510s have survived out that way!
Few and far between I am sure :cry:
Great find 8)
East or west Ottowa?
Hawkesbury area is sure nice :mrgreen:
Drove out that way about a month ago.
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

The car was located in west Ottawa, Carleton Place. When the previous owner said it was a local car I figured maybe the last owner or two. Looking at the MTO Used Vehicle Package shows the car had indeed been locally owned it's entire life!

I live to the south of Ottawa, near North Gower. There's lot of nice driving just north of Hawkesbury in the Quebec Laurentians. Also an awesome local brewery nearby, Beau's. You have to try it the next time you're out.

More pictures coming when I return home from business travels.
joker72z

Post by joker72z »

I spotted that car earlier and wanted it...very good starting point for sure. Make sure you check in with Andrew.lori on here as he is in Osgoode and is building 2 awesome 2 doors right now.

Good luck and welcome
Chris
Never start vast projects with half-vast ideas
1971 510 2dr, 58KM original
1/74- 260Z, 66K orig miles - SOLD
1/73- 510 2 door bare shell - SOLD
andrew.lori
Supporter

Post by andrew.lori »

Not a bad start for Sure :) FYI Your car was in a storage barn in Greely for about 15 years where the fellow you bought it from got it. I missed the car by about 15 min last Dec 15th when it was sold on Kijji ( I won't post what it sold for ) otherwise it would be here in Osgoode :) BTW It has the front Calipers from my California Car installed .
Give me a call I live in Osgoode and have 2 510's currently under construction.

FYI This site is the place if you need 510 assistance there is a lot of Helpful People here.....

Andrew
826 3035
1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A
1970 Datsun 510 KA24DE
1973 Toyota Celica
1972 Triumph GT6 SCCA Vintage Race Car
1974 Mazda RX3 former IMSA race car
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

hey, Welcome!

There are a few bikers on this site, my son and I are avid mountain bikers here on the coast, with my son racing in Pro category a few years ago, plus cycle cross and some road racing. We ride all year here, even through the winter with night riding.
I usually document our rides and stuff on this link.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3269
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

"Your car was in a storage barn in Greely for about 15 years" - Andrew, thanks for the info. I heard something about the car being stored but kind of dismissed it as the cliche classic car story. Good to hear it get backed up. I'm definitely going to give you a call and see if you're free some time for me to come by and say hi. I live near North Gower and my son plays soccer in Osgood every Monday night.

bertborgon, you sound like you're right into bikes as well. My latest 'toy' is a Fat bike - an absolute blast to ride all winter. Skidoo trails, XC skate trails, snowshoe trails - you name it! :D

Ok, I've managed to secure some more pictures. Tomorrow I'm getting the car safetied. There's a few things which might make it hit or miss but nothing that prevents the car from being driveable (ie: she's been out a few times ;-) ). All this driving has established one thing, the seat-back is waaayy too soft for my back :? . Looks like I'll have to source another used set of 'modern' seats.
Attachments
Engine2.JPG
Engine2.JPG (111.88 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
Interior2.JPG
Interior2.JPG (226.74 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
Interior1.JPG
Interior1.JPG (236.87 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
Robb

Post by Robb »

andrew.lori
Supporter

Post by andrew.lori »

I know Ron and the WELL RESTED 510 he has .... thats finally on the road this year :)
1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A
1970 Datsun 510 KA24DE
1973 Toyota Celica
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

Man, I live in Ottawa my whole life and spent many years with the Motorsport Club of Ottawa and other car events - all having never seen a 510.

I finally snag one for myself and I find out there's TWO other current owners in town?!?! Cool!
andrew.lori
Supporter

Post by andrew.lori »

Member of MCO ??? Ron Woltman was the President of MCO with the 510 in Hiding all those years :)
BTW My Avatar is at an MCO Autox in 1982 at Carleton U ...those were the days an RX3 on 2 wheels
Last edited by andrew.lori on 15 Aug 2011 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A
1970 Datsun 510 KA24DE
1973 Toyota Celica
andrew.lori
Supporter

Post by andrew.lori »

One more thing there is more than Two :) 8)
1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A
1970 Datsun 510 KA24DE
1973 Toyota Celica
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

andrew.lori wrote:... BTW My Avatar is at an MCO Autox in 1982 at Carleton U ...those were the days an RX3 on 2 wheels
I was wondering where your avatar was taken. I got into Solo2 after MCO moved to 'Corel Centre' - back in the South West lots before moving to their current North East lots.

Not quite the same lift, but here's my 350z at the Nationals a few years ago.
Attachments
SoloNationals.JPG
SoloNationals.JPG (51.1 KiB) Viewed 4958 times