Suspension Setups

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Re: Suspension Setups

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Thanks for the info. Now I know that going that high is not necessary. I was thinking 250 275.
looking for pass. side arm rest
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

PoorMtnKid wrote:but am unsure of the spring rate I would like to use. I'm mostly going to use the car for drives to and from work in the winter time and for weekends when I go to the disc golf course. I would like something with a little cush. Any input?
175 in/lb

Really, all you're going to get for replies are what other people are running, and that'll be the gamut of spring rates. Best bet is to find another 510 that's been swapped and has higher-rate springs, take a ride, and see what you think.

I ran 175 rates in my KA510 and personally wouldn't go stiffer. Lots here have mid 200 rates and wouldn't go softer.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

That is excatly what Im looking for though, peoples personal expierences. I know its not gonig to be what I want. But its going to give me an idea. And also their are not to many 510's in my area. I know there is one guy with a 4 door KA so I would like to see what he has. Hopefully he knows what spring rate he has. With one guy saying he had 350's and they are too stiff. And you said you have 175 and would not go stiffer, at least I have a good range. I just did not want to get something too soft and the motor be too heavy. Not sure if thats even possible but thats why I made the post in a already huge thred and not make a new one lol thanks though. :wink:
looking for pass. side arm rest
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

KA is heavier than an L16, that's for sure. But stock 510 spring rates at ~90 in/lb, so the 175 is already almost double. It has more to do with desired ride quality, driving style, and road conditions than engine swap weight...at least L16 --> KA.

If you are going to have coilovers front and rear, changing rates is relatively easy, and you could experiment with little cost since you could likely sell the spring sets on again if you don't like a particular rate.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
doughboi916

Post by doughboi916 »

so i ordered a GC coilover weld on kit for my 280zx struts.. it says on GC web site i can use the stock shock? anyone else using this set up? everyone else i see is using different inserts? im kinda low on funds at the moment...
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

doughboi916 wrote:so i ordered a GC coilover weld on kit for my 280zx struts.. it says on GC web site i can use the stock shock? anyone else using this set up? everyone else i see is using different inserts? im kinda low on funds at the moment...
It's doable. They are an open bath design, so you can open them up and change the shock oil to something heavier to increase the damping. That is if the shocks aren't worn out.
I'm your huckleberry.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

While the bump/rebound ratio stays the same as stock, you can up the oil viscosity. Use the same volume as recommended, go to a motorcycle shop, to get FORK oil ( Belray is one brand) , and you can try 10W or for even firmer, try 20W. WAYYYY back..I used 20W in my stock shocks, for solo use.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
doughboi916

Post by doughboi916 »

man.. my head hearts :| Ive been reading for a few hours.. going through build threads... and i read different things about using different strut inserts.. ive read and been told that the both KYB AGX and Tokico Illuminas for the 280zx have been discontinued..???? i dont want to use the mr2 insert cause i dont now how to shorten the strut??
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

doughboi916 wrote:man.. my head hearts :| Ive been reading for a few hours.. going through build threads... and i read different things about using different strut inserts.. ive read and been told that the both KYB AGX and Tokico Illuminas for the 280zx have been discontinued..???? i dont want to use the mr2 insert cause i dont now how to shorten the strut??
There are likely alternatives that are close enough. Shorter inserts can be spaced out inside the strut tube if necessary.
I'm your huckleberry.
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

doughboi916 wrote:man.. my head hearts :| Ive been reading for a few hours.. going through build threads... and i read different things about using different strut inserts.. ive read and been told that the both KYB AGX and Tokico Illuminas for the 280zx have been discontinued..???? i dont want to use the mr2 insert cause i dont now how to shorten the strut??
That must be just recently, I ordered a set of BZ3038 Tokico Illuminas (280ZX) from Lightning Motorsports begining of September for $111.40/each with free shipping.

http://tinyurl.com/Tokico-BZ3038
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Anyone have the Illumina 5 way adjustable part number for rear coilovers?
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

defdes wrote:Anyone have the Illumina 5 way adjustable part number for rear coilovers?
contact benzo here, he sells/gets tockico for a good price;)
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Front: 280ZX struts, Z31 5-bolt hubs, 200lb spring on coil-over perch, Illumina insert, custom camber plate with fixed offset for more caster. Late (70-73) LCA’s w/ poly bushing (double-sheer fixture added to LCA pivot bolt) and poly T/C bushing. No Sway bar (yet) 1st gen. MR2 rack&pinion steering, 1” bump steer spacer.
Rear: Ermish QA-1 non-adjustable coil-over shock, 200lb spring, re-drilled 510 hub to 5-bolt. Slotted rear cross member, no sway bar.

I need advice in choosing the front sway bar rate. Because I moved my motor back a bit, I can’t use any of the front 510/SR sway bars that are available, so like everything else I have to make a custom one. It’s easier and maybe cheaper to go with a “speedway” style 3-piece sway bar, plus I’ll be able to tune with different bars if I choose. Can anyone offer any advice on which bar I should choose to start with. I’m going with a 1 1/4 diameter hollow bar because this is a common size and there are many rates to choose from. From Speedway I can choose wall thicknesses of .095, .120, .188, .250, and solid. There’s a rate chart here if anyone has a way to offer a rate comparison to the bar your using in your car. My thought was to start with the thinnest bar and go from there. Any other thoughts?
supra510

Post by supra510 »

Maddat makes a front sway bar that goes forward and will clear any engine set up I can think of.

http://www.maddat.com.au/products/SWB1600.htm

I'm using one, it's a nice piece.
Anthony
'71 wagon, 2jz-gte engine, other stuff
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/674663
nismortrd

Post by nismortrd »

Well I got a set of 280zx struts or was told thats what they were from a 81 280zx. Here are pictures just making sure I did end up with 280's
Thanks guys