510 Stubs.. buh bye..

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
thumperk

510 Stubs.. buh bye..

Post by thumperk »

i knew 510 stub wouldnt last too long.. 6" launch and BOOM..

i figured this was my next weak point.. ordered Mark Williams stubs couple of weaks ago.. should be here next week..
thumperk

Re: 510 Stubs.. buh bye..

Post by thumperk »

i guess mario saw this post and now Mark Williams wont sell to me now.. hmm.. maybe Strange Axle in my future..
510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor »

For drag racing you're probably better off with the solid axle, that way you can go with a softer spring and keep the tires square to the road.
1972 Yellow 4dr
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

why would he not sell to you now?? what does Mario have to do with anything.....and who is Mario??
thumperk

Post by thumperk »

this guy..

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... 14&start=0

thing is a Colorado Datsun guy initially drove up to Mark Williams with a MM 5 lug stubs that wouldnt fit for some reason.. he had them make him a set and he got rid of the MM ones.. that is how i knew Mark Williams had made them for the 280ZX.. but it sounds like Mario thinks he has the done the ground work for these pieces..

& since he buys 5-10 sets every couple of months, i guess he got mad they were selling to a potential customer of his..

the more i do research, the stock stuff just doesnt cut it for cars running in the 10's.. bunch of Z's were breaking them every 10 passes!!!

i am talking to Strange Axle and couple of other local companies.. hopefully have some in hand soon..
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Maybe Mark should just cut out the middle man, eh?
I'm your huckleberry.
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Why don't you just order the axels through TSR by the time you pay the set up fees that MW will charge you it will be cheaper in the long run. Yes it would be nice to cut out the middle man but some times it is not worth it. I myself called Mark Williams about two months ago to ask for a similar product and was told I had to order my 510 related parts through Mario. At the time I looked at that arrangement as more of a respect between the two companies working together but hey that is my view on the situation.

As for other companies that have produced this product there has been two others that Mario has worked with. In the first set up 3 sets broke and when asked for replacements the builder stated race part only go pound sand. The second company took almost a year and a half to complete the order requesting money up front and stating they are shipping in two weeks every time they were called. When the parts were finally received incomplete they were not right and needed to be modified to fit. Sadly the second company is actually very large and on there web site they state satisfaction guaranteed.

But you will have to make up your mind as to were you want to spend cash in the long run.
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

thumperk wrote:i guess mario saw this post and now Mark Williams wont sell to me now.. hmm.. maybe Strange Axle in my future..
Try Dutchman axles in Oregon.
They made some axles for my RX7 rear axled wagon after I broke a stock shortened axle.
You could send them a sample and have them make a set for you.
Total cost to me for one set of brand new custom axles and a set of stock axles shortened and re-splined was $500 shipped to my door including arp wheel studs.
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted
thumperk

Post by thumperk »

Cmac wrote:Why don't you just order the axels through TSR by the time you pay the set up fees that MW will charge you it will be cheaper in the long run.
i had talked to Mario from a MW referral before I committed to going strait to MW.. i was going to be spending alot more..

if i would have been told that upfront, fine.. but MW sells strait to the v8 crowd for axles that they sell to summit and jegs also..

& like i said, a Colorado Datsun guy had the first ones measured and made by MW.. he openly stated in his posts feel free to contact MW and use his template..

@vgwagon - i will give Dutchman a call next week.. i know they did some VW stuff for some friends race cars..
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

oh ok, there are a few Mario's in the 510 world so I wasn't sure who you were talking about. I understand what you are saying, I think you should be able to order them directly, the main reason is how long it would take you to get them from TSR< sometimes that can take a while........it's the luck of the draw!!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Couldn't you just get the bearing housing off a z31,M30 or something with a bigger stub axle? Weld it onto the 510 swing arm and call it good? there would be some mod work with the axle/diff but it's not like a 10 second car is going to be a bolt together project.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
70bird

Post by 70bird »

I think there is something up with that business relationship! First of all Mario sells his complete 5 lug kit with axels for 3,500$ that's just insane! I am not doubting the quality at all plus it will take forever to get! If mark Williams is selling products direct that he sells to major companies like summit then why can't he sell these too? I think it because he would sell them for waaaay less and Mario would never sell a set! Summit puts a mark up on their products but not like tsr. I buy parts from my suppliers all the time that I can also buy direct if I chose so what's the difference! Did Mario catch mark Williams committing a murder or something????
cjr198car

Post by cjr198car »

Maybe use the 280Z stubs while you wait for some custom units. I think the gentleman with the inline six turbo/nitrous 510 has ran multiple 10's or 11's on 280z outer stub axles and brute force u-joints. Someone correct me if Im wrong. Either way thats the setup I have this year and I will report back if it breaks.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

cjr198car wrote:Maybe use the 280Z stubs while you wait for some custom units. I think the gentleman with the inline six turbo/nitrous 510 has ran multiple 10's or 11's on 280z outer stub axles and brute force u-joints. Someone correct me if Im wrong. Either way thats the setup I have this year and I will report back if it breaks.
I thought that the 280zx uses the same ones. Same bearings and all. I guess I'll have to check rock auto and see if the part numbers cross over.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

icehouse wrote:
cjr198car wrote:Maybe use the 280Z stubs while you wait for some custom units. I think the gentleman with the inline six turbo/nitrous 510 has ran multiple 10's or 11's on 280z outer stub axles and brute force u-joints. Someone correct me if Im wrong. Either way thats the setup I have this year and I will report back if it breaks.
I thought that the 280zx uses the same ones. Same bearings and all. I guess I'll have to check rock auto and see if the part numbers cross over.
Jeff - I posted the drawing of a 510 stub here –

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18246

If someone has a 280Z stub, let’s do the same and find out if these are in fact the same.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.