New Kid on the Block (could) - Use Somebody('s help)"

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
PdidD25

New Kid on the Block (could) - Use Somebody('s help)"

Post by PdidD25 »

My late father has a 1973 Datsun 510 parked in my garage currently and I'm looking to fix it up. He wanted to turn it into a Drag car (most everything interior-wise was removed excluding front seats which are worn, headliner, Dash I don't know what else of the top of my head), but I think it'd be nice to either fix it up and leave it for my mom to use or I might consider buying one for her and tracking the 510. Anyway, I'm just looking for some support to help restore Dad's "toy" to her former glory since my brother and I couldn't work with Dad on it while he was here.

So I guess that's my hello to the Mods and other users of this site! Any restoration related information would be helpful. Thanks! :D
510wizard
Supporter

Re: New Kid on the Block (could) - Use Somebody('s help)"

Post by 510wizard »

Welcome, get some good pictures so we know what where dealing with and you will get some input.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Yes welcome!

Photos are good.

What is the plan? Back to street?

Joel
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
PdidD25

Post by PdidD25 »

Can't get some pictures just yet, but will get some soon.

First step is going to be to get all the junk from under and on top of the car. Next step would be to get a top and filter for the carburetor (currently a glove sitting there and it's probably a Weber carb), siphon out the gas in the tank, and reconnect all the wires. Dad said that would be everything needed to put it back on the streets.

I'm hoping on getting it at least capable of hitting the streets in show car condition. Then maybe tracking it. I'd like to be able to get more power out of her so I can at least beat some of the cars other kids have today.

Things off the top of my head it needs:
cap and filter for carb
front left fender has crack (replace or repair? thinking replace)
Dash replaced
New seats and steering wheel
wiring reconnected

There's also a race-tuned engine in the truck on the side of the house (gotta go look and see if it's a 4- or 6-cylinder, will report back later) that I'd like to replace the current L16 with.

but again, I will return with pictures in due time.
iceD

Post by iceD »

Post the VIN and build date if you get a chance, there some interest in finding the newest 510.

ice D
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

First thing I would get is a Haynes PL 510 manual. That way you'll know exactly what you need. Then when you're looking for parts a good start would be Rob's 510 parts in San Jose. http://www.rodsdatsun.com/ He's not the cheapest, but the guy's got everything you'd need, he knows his shit, and super helpful.

I'm interested to hear about that motor your Dad had tucked away.

Best of luck,

Ron M.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
PdidD25

Post by PdidD25 »

Okay. so returning with some correct info:
VIN #: PL510-393352
Make Date: 4/72
Engine Model #: L16-362713
Engine is 97.4ci stock with a 1595cc stock rating.
Max HP: 92HP/5600RPM
Wheel Base: 2420mm
Stock idle: 600rpm in drive, 770 in neutral.
Inner driver door and Headliner are fine.
Carb is a Holley modified.

NOTE: it's not a 73 as I previously thought.

Please share what you find if you find anything on the VIN. can't find anything because the VIN is sub 17-digits.

And thanks for the info guys, took a quick look at that link, and it's even got a 72 2D PL510 sedan for $4200 USD. Gonna have to look into that.