Just bought a '72 510 4dr

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
510Finn
Supporter

Just bought a '72 510 4dr

Post by 510Finn »

Hello Everyone!
Due to my $400 '85 Sentra B11 (A/C, 5 spd, 2dr) being totaled by another driver in late April this year, I decided that my next car was going to be a 510. I always wanted to get another one, but just didn't have the room for another car. In fact, my very first car I bought was a '70 2dr 510 back in 1980 for $800 (that one I owned for a very long time) and gave me many years of teenage enjoyment until the car was rear-ended and totaled (another story for another time). Anyway this is about my newly acquired Dime. I spent several months combing Craigslist frequently. I was interested in getting a swapped 510 and didn't care if it was a 4dr, or wagon which widened the availability and my budget was up to 5k, but really was looking to pay around 4k and I did. I tried to buy locally, but did not have much luck. I almost bought a car in Utah, but the car ended up being sold on eBay. We already had a trip planned to Seattle WA, so I widened my search to Washington and Oregon and BC. Anyways, I found the car I wanted in Oregon, a 1972 4dr with KA24E-T. I'm sure some of you had seen this car on CL, or even at Canby, and I was very fortunate enough to have my best friend who lives in Olympia, WA and works in Oregon City, OR drive me down to look at the car. After talking to the owner, Scott (and his wife who was very sad to see the car go), and driving it, I bought it. They owned this car for 9 years and put in a great deal of time and money into the car. The body is in decent shape and no major rust. This car is a blast to drive! I am very satisfied owner. :D

1972 4dr KA24E-T
1972 Blue WaGoon
dislexicdime

Re: Just bought a '72 510 4dr

Post by dislexicdime »

you forgot to mention it is a ka-t :D
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Welcome. Nice looking car.

What plans do you ahve for it?
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Given your recent experiences, ensure you have proper insurance coverage for your new ride.

Oh, and the hood trim is still available for ~$28 from the dealer. Part number should be in the part number sticky.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

excellent place to start!

:?: who can confirm(or ID) that those are B210 tophats???
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

those look like 200sx top hats
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Welcome to the realm,

Nice start for a car – you did the right thing and bought a car already together.

I like the original color on the outside of your car – the bright engine bay sure stands out though.

But I have to ask – did you get this car within your $4K range??

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510Finn
Supporter

Post by 510Finn »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
dislexicdime wrote:you forgot to mention it is a ka-t :D
I mentioned it as a KA24E-T in the original post. :D
Byron510 wrote:Welcome to the realm,

Nice start for a car – you did the right thing and bought a car already together.

I like the original color on the outside of your car – the bright engine bay sure stands out though.

Byron
Yes, I did get this for 4k firm as listed. As for the engine bay, the previous owner was planning to paint the entire car this color.
dislexicdime wrote:those look like 200sx top hats
hang_510 wrote:excellent place to start!

:?: who can confirm(or ID) that those are B210 tophats???
I asked the previous owner about these, and he told me these are from a late model Datsun A10 still badged as 'Datsun 510" 1978-80/81. In his garage I saw he has a 1981 2 dr Datsun 510 hatch back that already had an KA24DE that he was planning to turbo. The car is the same as the one pictured here on the bottom left - http://home.sprintmail.com/~cathbrown/doug/510.html
okayfine wrote:Given your recent experiences, ensure you have proper insurance coverage for your new ride.

Oh, and the hood trim is still available for ~$28 from the dealer. Part number should be in the part number sticky.
I called my insurance and decided to add it to my current auto insurance as stated at 5k with Comp/Coll @$500 deduct.

I was given a front hood trim, but the left corner has some folds. But thank you for the part no. sticky information.
qwik510 wrote:Welcome. Nice looking car.

What plans do you have for it?
I'm not exactly certain, but I would like to get the body work done and do the rubbers for the glass. The car has typical window rattle because the channel felt is worn. Eventually, getting the car painted once the body is prep'ed. I am not an auto body-work kind of person, so I do not plan on doing this myself.

510Finn
1972 4dr KA24E-T
1972 Blue WaGoon
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

510Finn wrote:
Byron510 wrote:Welcome to the realm,

Byron
Yes, I did get this for 4k firm as listed. As for the engine bay, the previous owner was planning to paint the entire car this color. 510Finn
You got a good deal. From a guy who loves to fab stuff - even though the car needs some work, the time invested in the swap alone is worth the $4K! Not ot mention the turbo upgrade. Nothing is ever perfect, but you have a hell of a start.

Nice ride, keep us posted

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Derek

Post by Derek »

Very cool! What engine management does it have? I like the top mount IC too -- how is air directed in/out of it?

I'd like to see more pics obviously. Thanks for posting. Oh and paint the wheels black -- it will look great with the mint green (or at least it did on my wagon).

BTW fast 4 doors are awesome.
510Finn
Supporter

'72 510 4dr KA24E-T

Post by 510Finn »

It's been a while since i've posted here. Here's additional info I have about the car.
This car is one of the most rust free 510's I've seen and have owned a lot of these cars. floors are perfect. the only rust, is starting to show on the lower rear quarters. List of work done over the years by the PO:
ka24e with around 70k from 1992 hardbody truck
Garrett T3 turbo from 1982 280zx turbo
intake manifold off of 1989 240sx
ecu 89 240sx
maf is 1994 maxima with ve30de
1st gen Mitsu blow off valve
top mount intercooler
new 460cc 1989 Mazda rx7 injectors
manual boost controller
5 speed is from 1984 720 truck
Spec 240mm stage 1 clutch
Griffin aluminum radiator
full 2 1/2" exhaust
straight through dynomax muffler
fuel tank 1978 b210
adjustable narrowed rear crossmember
adjustable front t/c rods
recent ball joints, tie rod assemblies
bump steer spacers
280zx front struts and brakes '('79)
280z front springs cut
rear springs are datsun roadster front springs
22mm front sway bar
Nissan pulsar front seats
carpet, kick panels and rockers
Kenwood HD/USB/iPod
6.5 Polks, 6x9 in rear
new dash pad, not a cap
has always had Mobil-1 oil since turbo install
new u joints
some misc. new parts that came with the car, rubbers, door handle, etc.
the subaru 3.70 limited slip that was in the car but the front pinion bearing went out, so that needs to be replaced. stock 3.90 in car now its tight and quiet.
this car is very fast. it was conservatively tuned on the dyno at 8 psi it put down 220hp and 230tq to the ground

Future plans:
Get the LSD ready, and use CVs, and convert to rear coilovers.
Also, thinking about getting the body and paint done complete, in the original color.
1972 4dr KA24E-T
1972 Blue WaGoon
5andDIME

Post by 5andDIME »

man , i need some pics of that exhaust manifold, wish you would log on and check your pm's finn
"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." - Dr. Emmett Brown