High Idle Redtop Sr20

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
nick64merc

High Idle Redtop Sr20

Post by nick64merc »

I have a Redtop Sr20 and I was driving around the other day and when I came to a stop light the idle seems to have jumped up 1200-1300 RPM. I checked the throttle cable and throttle stop screw to make sure nothing came loose and everything looks good. I am not sure what would have caused the idle to jump up. ANY SR20 gurus out there that might have some info on what might be causing the issue? Any help would be appreciated.
dislexicdime

Re: High Idle Redtop Sr20

Post by dislexicdime »

Is it a det.
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Do you have an FSM for your engine? Lots of troubleshooting tips in there. IACV alright? All vacuum sorces properly connected? Pull codes from your ECU?

Did the idle jump up 1200-1300rpm, or up to 1200-1300rpm? The more specific you can be, the easier it will be for us to help you.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
nick64merc

Post by nick64merc »

Yes it is a DET. The car is idling at 1200-1300RPM. What is a FSM? It has the Stock ECU. I havent pulled any codes from it yet. The motor is in my 97 240sx. Its my daily. It did some wierd stuff like reving up on its own under boost. The throttle didnt stick I know for a fact but the car rev'd up and hit the limiter. It has done that few times. The high idle came first and then the reving up came afterwards. The IACV seems like it could be the cluprit how can I bypass it or test it to make sure?

All of the vacum lines are good I checked those.

Thanks for the help!! I really appreciate it.
James

Post by James »

FSM=Factory Service Manual
Finished is better than perfect......
nick64merc

Post by nick64merc »

Aaahhh no I dont have the Service Manual for the Motor.
johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu »

What they said^^^ Plus I would check all your intercooler and turbo piping along with the vac lines. If that doesn't do it, check the screws on your throttle body to make sure you didnt snap them. I've done it 4 times and got lucky on the first 3. Not so lucky on the 4th. How is your throttle pedal set up?
http://easytunegarage.blogspot.com/
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

You need an FSM. No point in us even beginning the diagnostic process if you aren't going to be along for the ride. Also sounds like you have more issues than just a fluky idle.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

Reach down and pull your floor mat a way from the gas pedal!
Is your throttle cable hanging up? Do you have your consult plug wired up? Is your bov venting to atmosphere?
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
nick64merc

Post by nick64merc »

The peddale isnt hanging up. The throttle cable and everything is in good shape. I think the IACV is doing funky stuff like opening under boost which would allow the car to rev even though the throttle blade is closed. I am going to take the IACV off and have a look at it. Thanks everyone for helping out.

Nick
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

How would you be "under boost" with the "throttle blade...closed"?

Do you have the water lines going through your iacv? You have to do this or it will maintain the higher cold idle setting all the time.
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

...and then re-set the timing. This can be more tricky than it sounds, make sure you're doing it right.
johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu »

For gp, look at the butterfly valve inside the throttle body. Inspect the two screws that hold it in. It'll take 10 minutes. I got pictures here somewhere...
http://easytunegarage.blogspot.com/
nick64merc

Post by nick64merc »

What I meant by being under under boost even though the throttle blade is closed the car was still reving even after I have lifted off the pedal. I plan on taking it aprt this weekend. The more I have driven it and got to test it. It dose seem like the pedal is sticking or there isnt enough spring tension on the throttle body. I am going to inspect everything this weekend and I will everyone know what I find. Thanks for the help everyone.