FORUM FEEDBACK WANTED --> "UNRELATED" CLASSIFIEDS

Problems, Comments, Questions regarding the website
510rob

FORUM FEEDBACK WANTED --> "UNRELATED" CLASSIFIEDS

Post by 510rob »

RE: non Datsun posts in the Classifieds section.

The site would like your feedback feedback

Once in a while, someone posts an item in the classifieds section of this site, offering an item for sale that is seemingly unrelated to Datsuns. When this happens, a typically friendly debate kicks off some banter as to how we should handle cases that lack specifically Datsun relevant subjects. I thought it would be a good idea to democratically ask the fine people of this website what they think the limit should be in that regard?

Please do speak your minds, but please don't slide towards ad hominem (personal) attacks.
Byron510

Re: FORUM FEEDBACK WANTED --> "UNRELATED" CLASSIFIEDS

Post by Byron510 »

In my mind, this site is applicable to the 510. So if a part comes up for sale, it should be in some way applicable for use in a 510, in a reasonable fashion. A KA or SR engine part will fit into many 510's as these are common swaps. A 454 BB is not, and aside from one or two radically altered 510’s that I’ve seen (ever!), it's not a reasonably easy part to put into a 510. So let’s just keep it simple and Datsun related. There is a side of me that also says guys with other classic Datsun parts need a place to get them out there - for instance there are no 710 or B210 forums, and it's unlikely that a Z car forum would tolerate them, so I'm fine with this. But a Cutlass Station wagon, or your Ford Focus - they belong in your local Craigslist in my mind, not taking up space on a Datsun site. If 350Z air vents fit in your 70-73 PL510 dash, then that does qualify; the 4X100 wheel post that came up tonight are obviously limited to fit very few cars, and not likely very many 510’s – you’d have better luck elsewhere anyways, so why bother posting here, there's no shortage of forums out there, target the right one. Let’s keep the parts limited to use on classic Datsun/Nissan cars and trucks.

My thoughts....since you asked.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Why not make a section to cater to the non 510 datsun stuff that people may need to flog/swap sell? I have no problem with that.
Jason
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

We've had other makes of cars from the 'big three' put up for sale on ratsun and I don't care for it. The thing is, is that Datsun owners own other vehicles or may want a DD other than a Datsun so it seems fair that they post about it for other members. There are also non contributing members who's every post is to sell things (usually Datsun related at least) I don't like these types either but can't really deprive other members who may want this stuff. Since we only have Datsun related 'for sale or buy threads I move them to the Non Datsun Projects.

But where does it stop? Pets, houses, golf clubs?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
andrew.lori
Supporter

Post by andrew.lori »

I like the Idea of a specific place for Non Datsun stuff...Toyota, Mazda Sunbeam :) Not everyone live the Datsun only dream :)
1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A
1970 Datsun 510 KA24DE
1973 Toyota Celica
1972 Triumph GT6 SCCA Vintage Race Car
1974 Mazda RX3 former IMSA race car
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

The even stickier wicket is that the site welcomes non-510 Datsun owners, such as the recent few HL510 guys, 521 guys, etc., even though this is specifically a 510 site. The priviledge of posting unrelated stuff for sale has never really been abused, but as was mentioned, if every time it does happen there's conversation in the thread on whether it is appropriate indicates there does need to be a guideline.

I'd suggest a mod-served "Non-510 Classified" forum, wherein people would submit their non-510 for sale posts for posting into a new sub-forum. Mike won't be allowed to sell his pets, houses, or golf clubs, but could sell FWD wheels, a VW, tools, or other automotive-related items. But that adds to the mod workload, which probably isn't what Rob had in mind :)
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor »

I really don't see the problem, its not like our classifieds have started to look like craigslist. We're talking about one ad in August that was bumped nearly 3 months later. I can't imagine how far back this ad was before gbean bumped it to the top with this helpful insight:
gbean wrote:Big fat LOL.
IMO its bumps like this that are our biggest problem in the classifieds.
1972 Yellow 4dr
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

jason wrote:Why not make a section to cater to the non 510 datsun stuff that people may need to flog/swap sell? I have no problem with that.
Another car forum I was on had it this way. Thats where my vote would go.
looking for pass. side arm rest
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

How about after 2 or three months it disappears? or is closed. If the seller is serious let him re-apply with updated info. This way it can't be bumped from 3 years ago.

Also stress that it be car related if possible and no vendors. Must include a price, location, and picture to cut down on nuisance question posts.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs