The Greg Terry Memorial Build

View and post your 510 project(s)
Byron510

The Greg Terry Memorial Build

Post by Byron510 »

The story starts in a solemn way; in the early summer of 2010, we all lost a very avid 510 enthusiast in the 510 Club of BC and the west coast Datsun community as a whole; Greg Terry passed at the young age of 47 year old. He had requested to his loving wife, Keiko, to ask me to help her with the Datsun part of his life after Greg passed.
I spent two months looking for someone who could take on the project, but do it justice. I asked around, but I cold not discreetly find the car a home. Not wanting the car to go to waste or be cut up into some bad garage hero scrap heap, I chose to take on the project myself. So I made Keiko an offer, told her my plans. She thought about it for a week or so, and called me back. So it came to be that I inherited this project 1971 PL510 2dr.
In memory of Greg, I told Keiko that I would re-assemble the car, and hopefully do it the justice that Greg had wanted to do. It will be restored to stock condition, period.
Greg had collected a garage full of parts. He was never shy about collecting pieces. However the last 10 years of Greg’s life, his house seemed to take on a bigger part of his personal picture, and the 510 just simply got stored away, waiting for the days when the time would allow the project to continue. So it is with great honor that I take on this project and I do hope to soon drive this very car and pick up Keiko and take her for a ride in the car that occupied their garage for so many years, but never turned a wheel. This is my goal.
The first job was to clear out the garage and find the 510. No joking here – it literally had a shelf built over the car, to the shape of the trunk, over the roof, stored with parts, bits and pieces. There was literally so much stuff packed into the garage, that it took a day just to uncover one side of the car. Here I really need to thank the strength and courage of Keiko, who helped pack the whole works out of the garage over a 5 week period of the odd evening weeknight and many weekends. I also have to thank James (McShagger) who put in a tremendous effort in helping me move this immense collection of parts. In the end it took 8 loads in James’s newly acquired Nissan pickup truck loaded to the hilt (thank god for the canopy!), and a further 5 loads in my wife Mazda 5 van, packed to the ceiling (and front seat of course), with a load or two in the Bavarian 510. Then there were the two cars…

As we started the moving process, it became clear to James and I that Greg had two very distinct projects on the go. He was obviously collecting new and extremely good condition OEM parts for the “stock” car, and his second project was obviously a more typical 510 “hot rod project”. I knew I had only the ability to take on one project, so half way through the moving process, I offered James the hot rod project in exchange for his efforts, and we started dividing the parts that would fit each separate project. James has a very good plan for the hot rod, and I’ll let him elaborate on his project on his own accord. From here on in, this will be about “Greg’s car”.

Greg has had many 510’s over the years. He was extremely particular about his 510’s. So this cars story for Greg starts in Carson California, where he purchased it in 1993 with 15,180 miles on the odometer. That’s not a misprint – 15K on the ODO! Greg got all the paper work in order, and brought the car across the border into Canada on the 11th of October 1993, here is the customs document, and it states the odo reading;

So with the car in Canada, and in his first garage, Greg quietly began to disassemble the car and preserve it forever. With such a solid base to work from, it wasn’t going to be hard to go wrong. However the car was to be completely disassembled. And aside from most of the suspension parts, the car was taken apart and was destined to remain in hundreds of marked bags and boxes while the new house took over Greg’s spare time. This is pretty much how I have now inherited the car.
So this thread will chronicle my movement through the cars revitalization, and I hope to be driving it to the Vancouver All Datsun/Nissan meet with Keiko in the passenger seat as my VIP for the day. It will be a few months before I really get going, however I will continue to post updates when they are relevant.

The first step was what to do with the absolute mass of ‘stuff’ – it reminded me of an old George Carlin skit (A place for my stuff). However the bottom line was that I had to triple the amount of storage shelving in my workshop – an upgrade which I posted here on the Realm some months ago. Over half of the ‘stuff’ in those photos came with this project.
The car up to this point; here are the cars on moving day. This is the first time this car has moved in 18 years! Up on the flat deck for the ‘stock’ car, and on the hook for the ‘hot rod’. Kris at English Bay Towing did a great job of moving the cars – he was real patient with us, and his professional nature shined through –thanks so much Kris.

Keiko was so amazingly strong throughout this whole ordeal, but even here she has shed a tear. However, now that this part of the task was done, James, Keiko and I got this photo taken by Keiko’s roommate. The smiles are simply to the fact that this leg is done! Trust us it was a long haul to get to this point!

The cars loaded up and ready to move: Kris laughed at this point. As an avid 510 fan himself, he says this will likely be the only time he’ll ever tow two 510’s at the same time! Let’s hope he’s wrong, but the photos look good just the same;

On the way home that day we stopped in at Jason ‘Datsun’ Wong’s place to share a few moments. It turned out that a pretty large crew was there that day, all by happenstance;

From left to right are Jason, Paul (my shop mate), myself, Kris (the tow truck guy), James, Denis and Cam

So from here, I will post updates as they become available. I doubt much will happen before Christmas that is worthy of note. I will have to start sifting through the hoards of stuff, and figure out what is needed to re-assemble the car. I know this car is special. Greg was a person friend, and his loving wife deserves to see this project move. The car itself, at 15K on the odo, may be the lowest mileage 510 in existence in North America, possibly beyond. The project has personal significance, so POR (Press on Regardless).

In Recognition:

As this project continues, I have to thank a number of people who’ve contributed along the way.
Shortly after I started this project, I had a direct cash donation from Camano510 – out of the blue. Thanks for that, then came a long list of people who either gave, donated or sold at very reasonable prices, often just to cover shipping. And I feel there helpers all need to be recognized as without their help, this project would not be coming together as it has. You’ve all helped make this possible for, for Greggs widow Keiko and ultimately for Greg himself.
I’d like to give special recognition to the following people;

James M (McShagger510) who spent many, many days with me digging out the cars (there was 2 after all), sorting the stuff and moving said stuff – it was a monumental job in itself, and James offered to help and was there for 8 days in total with me! Then he helped me organize it in my shop, erect the pallet rack I needed to store it all and helped me put it all away! James, it would never have even got started without your help my friend.
Camano510, Camano Island Washington - cash donation, March 2011 to support the cause
Chris (Joker510) – pulled of an entire, complete and original OEM exhaust system from a car, struggled with the factory slip joints, managed to find some huge box for it, and send it Greyhound and for all his troubles, he didn’t even ask for the full cost to cover the shipping from across the continent!
Kris at English Bay Towing who moved the car from the projects inception and to and from the body shop at a fraction of what that transportation should have been worth
Martin Dunn – NSW, Australia – Saw me working on a wiper motor and felt he had the finishing touch – a new connector plug – shipped half way around the globe, would not ask for a penny
Ralph D who purchased the highest quality brake line flaring tool available, had me do a few lines on his car and then gave me the $200 tool so that I could do the lines on the Memorial Car!
Dave Patton, - Futofab – donated a new OEM pass side mirror, a good used drivers side mirror to match, factory heater hoses and Nissan fuel line, a NOS battery tray, and various rubber and heater hoses and NOS anti rattle front brake pad clips– only asked me to cover the shipping
Glenn Goodwin at Southside Nissan for all his parts searching
Barry (my father), Al (his friend) and Shawn (my brother) for helping disassemble and assemble the big parts before and after paint
Chris (joker510) again for a set of NOS locks and ignition switch complete
Michael Spreadbury – NOS fuse box cover and new fuel hose ends at a fair price, no questions asked –even included a new relay in the deal
Marko Kokko – Alajarvi, Finland – sent an into original box, NOS washer bottle and motor kit complete with the correct decal on the bottle – mailed from Finland and would not take a penny even for postage

Multiple inputs and advice from Tyson, Indy510, Chad (Proflex), Rich (gotchi ), Montey (510wizard), Joel (two_68_510’s), James (Laguna Beach), Rob France (510rob), Brad (s15det), Aron (Ash510), Julian (okayfine), Ron (RonM)

Hired Help;
Dumores Colision (Burnaby, BC) – Trevor; he did the body work and paint at a SUBSTANCIALLY reduced rate, and has been a great help from the beginning of the project, always offering to help - thanks so much Trevor. Body work is such an unknown, and you bring integrity to the trade.
Classic Threads (Abbotsford, BC) - James did an absolutely stand up job reupholstering the front seats and re-engineering the springs to look like stock, but work so much better. And he installed the less than perfect headliner and made up for all the defects, he also installed the vinyl on the rear wheel wells and parcel tray. Spent more time on all of it than quoted, never charged a penny more than he said it would – a man of his word, awesome service, well worth paying for.
Z Saver (Surrey) – Norm has been a great help on all the plating work, doing may lots instead of the more efficient few lots that is preferred, and it’s ongoing! Norm has also been a wealth of first hand Datsun restoration knowledge.

And to the 510 Realm who’ve been there for support the whole way – thanks guys.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
goichi1
Supporter

Re: The Greg Terry Memorial Build

Post by goichi1 »

Very nice story!! Can't wait to see the progress, and if you need any help I would gladly dedicate some time or whatever....I hope to be back in washington by MAY of next year!! Just let me know what you need!! Rich
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

I think that it is great that you are putting it back to stock condition. I have been in this 510 game since their start and have seen all the changes over the years with what people have done to them. I have always said, the some of them should remain stock. 10-20 years from now, a stock low mileage rust free original car will be worth more money from a collector point of view. The market will eventually come. There is not many stock 510's left, try and count them. The problem is for most people, they won't go thru what it takes to restore and keep a 510 original for a long period of time. Of coarse one exception is Art and his car, ( by the way, did Art ever sell his car? ) Every time I saw Art's passion and his car, it always bought a smile to my face. Byron, with your passion for the 510, that low mileage car and all the stock parts, you have the perfect canvas.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

goichi1 wrote:Very nice story!! Can't wait to see the progress, and if you need any help I would gladly dedicate some time or whatever....I hope to be back in Washington by MAY of next year!! Just let me know what you need!! Rich
Thanks Rich. Actual Greg, like you, have very great thing in common - you both have wives who grew up in Japan and met their husbands in their own homeland. Keiko is back in Japan (Yokohama area) with family right now.

What I need is an extra life time to complete the project. The car came with a pile of parts which I will be selling because I 1) don’t require them fro this or any other project, 2)don’t really want to store them and 3) will help raise the funds necessary fro this project.
510wizard wrote:I think that it is great that you are putting it back to stock condition. I have been in this 510 game since their start and have seen all the changes over the years with what people have done to them. I have always said, the some of them should remain stock. 10-20 years from now, a stock low mileage rust free original car will be worth more money from a collector point of view. The market will eventually come. There is not many stock 510's left, try and count them. The problem is for most people, they won't go thru what it takes to restore and keep a 510 original for a long period of time.
Yes, I would agree that a stock vehicle is always good for reference. The funny thing is that the stock 510 that I wanted I already have – a 68 4dr, 1300 3 on the tree manual car (‘Ole Blue), so I’ll be doubling up the fleet a bit here. I want to see Greg’s car put together. What happens to the car afterwards is still not decided. A museum, kept and driven for display only – I really don’t know at this point.
510wizard wrote:. Of coarse one exception is Art and his car, ( by the way, did Art ever sell his car? ) Every time I saw Art's passion and his car, it always bought a smile to my face. Byron, with your passion for the 510, that low mileage car and all the stock parts, you have the perfect canvas.
Art still has his car – he’s been really upset that it hasn’t sold, but it’s still on the block. He’s now waiting for the spring to come for the next sales blitz. Funny you should ask about ‘Ole Art’ – I’m meeting him for a classic spaghetti dinner tonight.

Byron
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Yokohama is only about a 30 minute drive from my house, that's where the famed Daikoku-futo parking lot is, where everyone meets. That also sounds like a really cool project, wish I could have taken that on! I am in need of a new project for my return to Washington!!! (put that in the back of your mind!!).....or the Ole Blue....hint hint! :D
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

Wow, nice car Byron. Nice to see that your leaving the one 510 stock the way your friend was hoping to do himself one day. The paint {OG?} looks not too bad in the pictures. Could it maybe be touched up and then professionally buffed out? It would be nice to see a truly stock 510 with its original factory paint still on the car. You’re going to be very busy with all these projects on the go. With a story like this, I too would be willing to give a day of my time to help with the car if you needed a hand. Cleaning parts, assembly, etc...
Good luck with the build.
Chad
In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

proflex wrote: The paint {OG?} looks not too bad in the pictures. Could it maybe be touched up and then professionally buffed out? It would be nice to see a truly stock 510 with its original factory paint still on the car. Chad
Chad, the paint does look pretty good, except that the car had glued on trim down both sides, which has been a bit harshly removed (looks like with a knife). No dents, but the paint was removed in the process. Also there are quite a few little spots all over the car. Thanks for the offer on the help. I'll get it painted and then when it comes to assembly, I'll invite everyone by!

Tyson came by to look at it and gave me a quote on paint. Now I'm saving. he was really impressed. What is even more impressive is in the fender wells and under the floor pan. It was never undercoated and it looks amazing! The factory writing is still on the rear X member! I'll take photos and post them here as well.

Byron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I’m in the parts collection phase.
I hate to remove this original liner. And although it doesn’t have a singe tear in the fabric – you can see where the glue has bled through all the way around.

The windows need to be removed for the paint to happen anyways, so this is as good a time as any to replace the headliner. Unless someone knows a trick a way to remove these stains…

This is a ’71, and a shot of the fabric pattern…

I’ll be honest; it looks like they just ran a hot roller with lots of tiny little points over the plain material to give this texture –the hot points making the dull vinyl a shiny appearance…

Byron
Byron510

headliner choice tonight

Post by Byron510 »

OK, so I have laid the different patterns beside one another -what's missing here is scale.

Below is the offering from headlinermart in Texas (Jim is the guy I talked with on the phone):

And this is a compilation of the two textures headlinermart offers, with Andrews photo of the same texture, and the stock 71 PL510 texture.

The 510 texture is a slight diamond shape, measuring 28.5X27mm (1-1/8 X 1-1/16”) across 5 dots. The PPL-1168-A looks to be the right style, but I think there are too many dots and too close together. The TIE-944-A suits me better. Now this is up way close – would anyone actually see this? I mean most people don’t even notice that the Bronze doesn’t even have a headliner! I’ll call tomorrow and try to get a measurement of the distance across the space of 5 dots. If it’s as close as this sample looks (like 1.5mm or 1/16”) , then I’m going with the Tier style, TIE-944-A.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Most people aren't going to notice Byron, personally I prefer the 1168, but, that's just me.
Jason
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Last summer I finally gave Greg a ride in my green car. This was something I've always wanted to do cuz the turbo motor used to belong to him at one time. Tick one off the bucket list. During the ride he was telling me about his two cars. The one I've ended up with was his 'parts car'. Greg said it was rusted out and shouldn't be put back on the road. Turns out that it only needs rockers - everything else is VERY solid and complete. Ha Ha, Thats no surprise. Greg always seemed like a perfectionist to me. When Byron asked me to help with cleaning out his garage, I was mixed with two emotions. One - helping a widow clear out her past husbands treasured pass time and Two - the curiosity of what Datsun parts Greg had collected over the years from California to Japan.WHEW! What a pile of stuff in there. I've known Greg for years but never got over to his house. Everything was very organized and neatly stacked up in the garage so it appeared there was not as much as it really was! Boy oh boy - lots of interesting items for sure.

When attending Greg's funeral, I got to really know him better from the great stories from his brother and friends. Like his 510 that got stuck on the beach in White Rock and had the tide come in up to the dash! That car is still around, is owned by one of our club members and is wicked fast! Byron and I both brought out our 510s' that day to represent Greg's love of Datsuns and I'm proud we did.
Greg - you will be missed.

James
Attachments
Hmm, there's a car in here somewhere .......
Hmm, there's a car in here somewhere .......
greg5101.jpg (214.01 KiB) Viewed 13604 times
Ohhh, there it is!
Ohhh, there it is!
greg5103.jpg (201.04 KiB) Viewed 13604 times
What are you two lookin' at ...... he he.
What are you two lookin' at ...... he he.
greg5102.jpg (210.42 KiB) Viewed 13604 times
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
Refresh

Post by Refresh »

wow..sorry to hear this...but very nice california car...looks like it could have been put back together without repaint and just driven....cant wait to see more pics...
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

that is one of the best colors sfor a 510.
Thats one car looks 100% same color I would just put it together and drive it to keep the cost down.

Keep them Byron!!!!!!!
we dont want then to get in the wrong hands. esp nice ones.
The beat ones send to Jeff and Frank!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

banzai510(hainz) wrote:that is one of the best colors for a 510.
That’s one car looks 100% same color I would just put it together and drive it to keep the cost down.
Hainz, I agree - I love this colour; it just fits these cars!

Both will be saved. The one I kept will need to be painted. The photos make the paint look better than it actually is. There is no rust, as you can see, but there is a lot of paint damage. I was originally going to paint it completely - inside and out, even under the floor plans. But I've had a rethink on this, and am just going to do the outside, possible the door jams and under the hood.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I will keep it updated when I get going on this project.

Byron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Well, the memorial build is back on the go.
My father offered to help me move it on this holiday carryover, so off it went to my workshop to get things started. So far this car has seen a good handful of KM’s – all on a trailer. And it’ll see a few more before it gets to turn its own wheels.
But for now, she’s where I can now start to work on her. The original windshield looks to be in good shape, but will be donated to my brother’s car. I have an NOS windshield that will go in. I hope to get the car up on some jack stands, and really assess what needs to be done. Then I have to start building the ‘needs’ and ‘wants’ lists.
Soon I’ll have actual updates on the cars progress, but for now I leave you with more photos of it being moved around on a trailer.

Byron
Attachments
DSC01551 (Small).JPG
DSC01551 (Small).JPG (56.52 KiB) Viewed 13321 times
DSC01552 (Small).JPG
DSC01552 (Small).JPG (49.82 KiB) Viewed 13321 times