First timer - tranny pull

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Byron510

Re: First timer - tranny pull

Post by Byron510 »

A stock 4 spd would bolt back in - as these two transmission use the same length drive shaft. I should have read the beginning of the thread closer - those SX dog leg trannies are FAT, and really are a tight fit in the tunnel - not imposable, but harder than the PL510 4spd or the ZX 5 speed.

Options?

1) The ZX 5 speed will use the same X member mount that this SX 5 speed uses, but you'll need to shorten the drive shaft 4 7/8" and move the shift hole back 5" - make sure you get the shifter with the transmission.

The stock PL510 4spd will use the same driveshaft, but you'll need to source the stock transmission mount for you year of car (68/69 uses one style, 70-73 use a later style). Shifter hole remains in the same location.

these are the easy ones, there are many more options, but there's likely no point in going there as more mods are necessary and it sounds like you want quite the opposite.

I personally don't mind the SX box myself - I've been using one in the Bronze for nearly 7 years (thanks for the temporary loaner, Rob :D)!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Ok I'd already been looking at 200sx transmissions and think I can get one anywhere from 150-300 which would be fine. I mostly need to get everything identified so I DON"T buy the wrong thing and can't just put it in. Anything I should be double checking? measuring? I assume a 200sx gearbox isn't going to bolt to this bell housing?

What is the tranny I have now? I realize it's an a63 but what's it probably out of a 1200?

From talking to mike a month or so ago I had just about decided that I wanted to just get a 200sx transmission OR a four speed if I can find one. I just need to be able to drive the dang thing I'm not looking for upgrades or anything. I just wanna slap it back in there. :)

Byron, you got me curious on the shift hole. My tunnel has already been hacked and a center console from I THINK a Z is what I have in there.
Is my dime pretty rough? yep Could it use an owner with a little more mechanical expertise? yeah probably. Does it look like every other beige sedan in the parking lot? No sir it doesnt.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

goatee wrote:I assume a 200sx gearbox isn't going to bolt to this bell housing?

What is the tranny I have now? I realize it's an a63 but what's it probably out of a 1200?
I'm no 1200 expert, but I don't believe they ever came with a 5-speed from the factory. Certainly the dogleg you have wasn't around when the 510 was around (same time as the 1200 was around), else it'd have been an option in the 510/610/710, etc.

You probably have a stock L-series dogleg from one of the vehicles mentioned in my last post. 200SX originally came with an L-series before switching to Z-series.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

You probably have a stock L-series dogleg from one of the vehicles mentioned in my last post. 200SX originally came with an L-series before switching to Z-series.
Ah, forgive my L series ignorance I didn't realize anything regarding the 200sx is considered L series. (i know nothing about it).
Ok so I should be able to shoot for the 77-79 200sx dogleg trannies and bolt that in right? Again I don't necessarily care about the fact that it's a dog leg or tough or not or anything like that I just need to be able to drive and find parts in fricking kansas. :) If so, I have a line on a couple of those assuming shipping doesn't double the price. They aren't TOO far away but driving there would suck.
Is my dime pretty rough? yep Could it use an owner with a little more mechanical expertise? yeah probably. Does it look like every other beige sedan in the parking lot? No sir it doesnt.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Bolt-in...provided it hasn't been changed for something else previously :) Might want to get a new input gasket and output seal while the trans is out. Also some sort of warranty or guarantee if you can swing it, there isn't a good reputation for "used" doglegs.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Great ideas/tips. I'll see what they say and get some seals ordered as well.

I REALLY REALLY appreciate all the replies everyone. Hopefully Halfway will be back on the road soon. :mrgreen:
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Hey Scott,

To widen your available choices you could also look for 2dr hatchback B-210s (not a 210 or 310) with it's optional 5 speed from April '76 through '78 It also was a dogleg but will have the A series 'bell' on it. Just swap your L series front case onto it. I believe it will have a badge on the back rear right above the tail light saying 5 speed.

There are some FS5W71Bs that were 26". The only example I have seen is from an '84 720 KC but it was a 4X4 so no speedo drive in it and useless for a car. I am told the King Cab and long wheelbase (long box) trucks had them, possibly only after '83 with the Z24 motor. Again, nothing is easy and you would need to swap the front case from an L series FS5W71B onto it so it would bolt to your L20B. The transmission mount will likely need to be 'adjusted' to fit. This would give you a tougher short L series 5 spd that bolts in without changing the drive shaft.

To get you going these four speeds will work but you need stock tranny mount.:

510 sedan
510 wagon and the '72-'73 620 truck. Wider ratio gears than sedan but otherwise should be the same.
'70-'72 521 same as above but with flange output. Remove bolt on flange and (maybe) trim protruding spline with cut off saw. Same ratios as the wagon
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

goatee wrote:Ok I'd already been looking at 200sx transmissions and think I can get one anywhere from 150-300 which would be fine.
if all the current needs is new synchros, then you may be able to have it rebuilt for about that,
less if you DIY!!!
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Lack of oil will fry the bearings. If gotten to before they get really 'loose' they can just be replaced. Too loose and balls can drop out, counter and main shaft loose their close alignment and it gets worse much faster.

I found this 720 5 speed. The truck had obviously been sitting for many years. I drained the tranny and balls fell out as well as oil that looked like silver paint. I dismantled it and found the counter bearing destroyed. Without the front bearing supporting it, side loading would force the main shaft (top) and the counter shaft, (bottom) apart. The shaft snapped just forward of the adapter plate. On the front you can see what is left of the bearing race.

"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Sorry all I didn't get a notice that anyone had replied more.
mike, ouch, i'm sure it's not as crazy as it looks but just looking at that picture gives me the willies as far as rebuilding something like that myself lol.

I had one guy ask me if I wanted US made or Canadian made? he didn't have a canadian one anyway but what's the difference?

Anyhow I'm looking at 200 shipped to my door ready to slap in with 30 day guarantee. I didn't even think to ask but I'm assuming these would all be coming complete with a bellhousing? I'll need to get a front and rear seal like was previously mentioned and call it good til something else breaks. :)
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

$200 delivered with a 30-day guarantee is almost more than you could ask for. There were mentions that a couple doglegs traded hands at Canby this year for almost double that...each.

The trans should come to you just like the one you removed. The bellhousing encases internal gears, would be wild if they shipped it to you without it!
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Ok that's what I figured but thought I'd better ask! lol
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Scott, I had mine "rebuilt" by a local fellow here, new bearings etc ... Was super inexpensive, $220 with the parts. I haven't tried it yet, but, I hope to install it this winter in my 4 door.
Jason
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Jason that's good to hear. I'd heard anywhere from 400-600 BUT i hadn't actually asked any shops yet. Most of our shops aorund here (central kansas) hate them furen cars anyway.
Once I'm running again though I'll likely look into getting the other one rebuilt, especially if I could do it for that. My spare head is sitting around waiting for the same treatment. :roll:
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

The rebuild was super cheap because the tranny was very nice inside. If you need more stuff like the synchros and stuff it'll cost more and parts aren't so easy to find any longer. If I remember correctly the DQ has an article or two on rebuilding the dogleg. If you have a spare you could tackle it probably ....
Jason