Pictures of ROLL BAR in 4 Door??????

72nismo1
Supporter

Pictures of ROLL BAR in 4 Door??????

Post by 72nismo1 »

I'm going to start figuring out how to build a roll bar set up in my 4 door 510 but I want to still have access to my rear seats. Anybody in here have any pictures of there set up?? Looking for ideas. Again car will have rear seats in it. :cool:
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Pictures of ROLL BAR in 4 Door??????

Post by okayfine »

Access to rear seats, or plans for rear seat passengers?

Off-the-shelf rollbars fit the same in a four-door as they do in a two-door.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
72nismo1
Supporter

Post by 72nismo1 »

Rear seat passengers.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Then you're going to be looking at a custom cage and spending a fair mint to ensure the builder has the freedom to make the cage as unobtrusive as possible. I wouldn't put anyone in the back seat with any of the standard, off-the-shelf roll cages, and none would allow entry into the rear of a four-door through the rear doors anyway.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
72nismo1
Supporter

Post by 72nismo1 »

I guess I will be the 1st to have one fabbed in a 4 door with passenger access. 8)
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Are you planning to build it yourself?
sdterrible1

Post by sdterrible1 »

I plan on building a cage for my 4 door pretty soon. I'm not going to go overboard with a bunch of bars. My car will rarely see the track anyways. Just want something to stiffen it up a bit as well as ad some protection. I wont be running any bars near my head, just to be safe incase I do get in a wreck without a helmet on. A nice roll bar pretty much sums it up I guess haha. Mine will be something simmilar to the pic below.

As far building a cage in a 510 that is safe for people in the rear is gona a very difficult. Steel tube next to someone's head, even if padded is going to destroy a skull if in a wreck. Anything is possible though!

Anyway here is a pic of one. Not my car.
Attachments
IMG_0540.JPG
Drive a Datsun
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Here's a pic of my buddies kid in the monkey bars of my car. Although it is a two door, it has a functional back seat with stock belts. Entrance is though passenger side only and can seat one person somewhat comfortably in the middle. This is all depending on the mounting location of the rear bars of course. Mine are not very structural cuz the're welded on the rear wheel inners' to make the seat fit (and even thats TIGHT). A more optimal spot is on the floor just above the rear spring or if your running coilovers, near the top of the stock tower. Better cage but no seat. I always thought a neat design would be if the rear bars followed the roof and down the sail(C) panel. But that would put a bend in that bar and probably a big no no in the rule book.

Hey Byron??

James
Attachments
Westin in Turbo 510.jpg
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

This is what I was getting to. Are you doing this for street use? If so, that's one thing. If you need this roll bar to be legal for any racing class, then I don't think it will be possible to retain easy access and use of the back seat due to the rules. If legality isn't an issue, then you're free to do as you wish, but please heed SD's advice and keep the bars far away from anyones head. I was driving with my 8-year-old son in the back seat, not fast, with traffic, around a sweeper. There was a sharp dip in the road surface, and his head smacked against the rear 1/4 window. If this had been a fixed steel tube, with a little more speed, this innocent dip in the road could have caused real damage.

Plan ahead and post pictures.
72nismo1
Supporter

Post by 72nismo1 »

Yes I will be doing it with some help from a friend.
Yes I only want it for street use not for Track.
So that is why I would like some ideas on how to make.

My idea is similiar to McShagger510
" I always thought a neat design would be if the rear bars followed the roof and down the sail(C) panel."

Any other suggestions or pics let me know.
Thanks

Planning on using 1-1/2 X 095 Wall ERW Tubing.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

If you're asking for advice on cage construction, perhaps this isn't a project you should undertake. If you don't understand what's involved, it's quite likely anything you make will be compromised, perhaps to your (or your passengers') detriment.

There is plenty of research you can do to educate yourself, but most of that isn't going to be here. There are a couple cage builders on The Realm...I'm not sure they'd offer up suggestions without more confidence in your abilities.
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

The question that I have for you is why do you want a roll bar? Safety? Chassis stiffening? Bling?

There are many elements that go into building an affective roll bar that is both safe and aids in the stiffness of the chassis. Unfortunately that does not include rear seat passenger safety/comfort.

If you really only want it for bling, I have seen some examples of roll cages in Japan that would easily maintain access to the rear seat.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
72nismo1
Supporter

Post by 72nismo1 »

I would like it to do all 3 things. Safety? Chassis stiffening? Bling?
If at the end it is not do able to clear for rear passengers I would probably be ok with that.My 510 is not a daily driver.

So I would still be interested in ideas if anyone wants to share.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

72nismo1 wrote:So I would still be interested in ideas if anyone wants to share.
Have you even bothered to search here? There are a few roll bar threads, with much commentary in SacPop's race car project thread. Beyond that, what "ideas" are you looking to have shared?
72nismo1
Supporter

Post by 72nismo1 »

No I have not really looked yet. I will check it out. 8)