L18 heater bypass help.

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
sactofabcoPOPS
Supporter

L18 heater bypass help.

Post by sactofabcoPOPS »

We need some advise. Been searching and have found nothing to help us.On our Scca Production Build L18 engine we are going to need to dypass the heater my question is this do we run a bypass from outlet to inlet, do we run a bypass with a restricter valve or do we just cap/plug them. The reason for asking on my Ford Y block you can run a bypass but do not plug. On my 1966 Olds 400 big block you have to run a restricter or it over heats and do not plug. So any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Ron
Measure twice cut once!!!
defdes
Supporter

Re: L18 heater bypass help.

Post by defdes »

I spun the heater inlet on the back of the head 90deg. and run a straight line to the block.
Attachments
oilcooler-2.JPG
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

ditto.

I think it's good to run it that way.... It should help get cooler water to the back of the head.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
sactofabcoPOPS
Supporter

Post by sactofabcoPOPS »

Thanx Guys thats what we needed> POPS
Measure twice cut once!!!
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

defdes wrote:I spun the heater inlet on the back of the head 90deg. and run a straight line to the block.
the LZ24 had everything plugged.

when i built the LZ22 for the wagon it was gonna have a heater, now its in the sedan...
so i ran a hose from the back of the head to the back of the block in an open bypass, not forward to the lower hose/block inlet.
seems good after 200mi.
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

That's right Brian. The Z series didn't have a heater hose on the head but on the back of the block. With an L head on it, it will have two outlets... well beside the lower rad hose inlet.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

datzenmike wrote: The Z series didn't have a heater hose on the head but on the back of the block. With an L head on it, it will have two outlets...
:?:
so when it is eventually in the wagon, should i 'T' both into the heater... or use the head outlet OR block outlet for it? :?
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I'd use the head outlet as the water would be warmer? Probably find a bung from an L orZ intake to plug the block and the return in the usual place.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs