Besides Subaru parts.....

Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
Naka

Besides Subaru parts.....

Post by Naka »

What kind of diff can I use in the 510 to take some abuse from an SR20det without too much headache?
If done, plz give some walkthroughs.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Besides Subaru parts.....

Post by okayfine »

Define "too much headache."

Unobtainium R180LSDs.
Or find an open R180 with the appropriate ratio and get an aftermarket LSD for it.
Nearly-unobtainium long-nose R200LSDs.
Convert to four-link live axle Ford 8.8.

The world's your oyster.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Naka

Post by Naka »

okayfine wrote:Define "too much headache."

Unobtainium R180LSDs.
Or find an open R180 with the appropriate ratio and get an aftermarket LSD for it.
Nearly-unobtainium long-nose R200LSDs.
Convert to four-link live axle Ford 8.8.

The world's your oyster.
clueless right now. Down here, only one guy I know did an r180 thing and the first time I heard about it is here, lol.

Normally the upgrade in our country in rwd lancers, bluebirds, galants, cressidas, etc are to get the whole back end of other cars such as more popular skyline diffs, silvia diffs, supra diffs, etc. That means the whole back from the original car and the sport car backend, usually with subframe and all is welded up.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

There are plenty of tried-and-true ways to go. But without defining "abuse" or your budget, desires, parts avilability, or your abilities, it's going to be similar to your other engine thread. All the possibilities under the rainbow, but no decision. Us throwing out possiblities is not useful.

There also is no "best," in and of itself.

For instance, if you don't abuse it, an R160LSD could live a long life behind an SR20DET. If you do abuse it, an R180LSD might not live long at all.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Naka

Post by Naka »

okayfine wrote:There are plenty of tried-and-true ways to go. But without defining "abuse" or your budget, desires, parts avilability, or your abilities, it's going to be similar to your other engine thread. All the possibilities under the rainbow, but no decision. Us throwing out possiblities is not useful.

There also is no "best," in and of itself.

For instance, if you don't abuse it, an R160LSD could live a long life behind an SR20DET. If you do abuse it, an R180LSD might not live long at all.
cool bro, thanks.
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

These guys used to do a R180 clutch type lsd to suit a stock nissan R180 housing, unfortunately they are NLA or out of stock.

www.purenissan.com/r180_lsd1.htm (link won't work, but this site seems to copy what they had)

http://www.calmini-ecuador.com/www.pure ... 0_lsd1.htm

They were around $600 US from memory (icehouse can confirm, I think he got one of the last one or 2 :evil: ), which was a bargain because you could use stock halfshafts.

I've contacted them a number of times, but they still have no ETA on future stock.
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

Or you could just go with an R200. There are tons of LSD options for this unit and I know there's at least a couple write-ups for putting the U-joint R200 into a 510.

I haven't looked at fitting my axles yet, but my CV 300ZX unit was easy to fit with minor modification to the cars metal and a making a new mustache bar isn't too hard.

There are tons of people putting down serious power through a stock type R200. With how light the 510 is, you shouldn't need it, but it's good insurance if you drive like a jerk.
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, FP 6851S, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs