transmission

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
510nustad

transmission

Post by 510nustad »

hello everyone, i have a L20b with a 280zx 5 speed transmission. ive replaced the clutch components on the 510. is there any kind of trick on how to get the transmission back in. i am doing this all in my garage for your info. i can not seem to get the angle in lining the tranny to the cluch disc. ive tried numerous times and it just gets stuck against the body. any suggestions
okayfine
Supporter

Re: transmission

Post by okayfine »

Tilt the engine up at the front. You may have to drain the coolant since there's only so much compliance in the hoses. Without the trans attached the engine tilts down at the front slightly. The more upward tilt you can get, the easier it will be.

Another trick is to have the slip yoke of a busted driveshaft and install it while installing the transmission. This way you can rotate the output/input shafts to get the input shaft splines to mesh with the clutch disc.

PITA. Good luck.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

510nustad wrote:is there any kind of trick on how to get the transmission back in.
lube it and slip it in :twisted:

did you repalce the pilot bushing?

ive R&R the tranny the last 3 times w/o a lift :evil:

clutch alignment tool?
$3 tool will save on bottles of headache medicine!

be sure the bell housing has clearance. (use the angle method above or undo 1 or both MM... DO NOT allow the motor to fall!!!)

poisition the jack about center w/ enough to wiggle it from the tail shaft. it has to go straight in!
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

hang_510 wrote:ive R&R the tranny the last 3 times w/o a lift :evil:
Guess who's invited over next time I have to change a clutch!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

okayfine wrote:
hang_510 wrote:ive R&R the tranny the last 3 times w/o a lift :evil:
Guess who's invited over next time I have to change a clutch!
youre installing a lift? and i get to break it in???
wOO hOO!!!! :mrgreen:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
510nustad

Post by 510nustad »

thanks for all the replies. should i remove the exhaust?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

510nustad wrote:thanks for all the replies. should i remove the exhaust?
Can only help.