1971 Datsun 510 SR20, Now with Roll Cage!

View and post your 510 project(s)
Datsunnismo

1971 Datsun 510 SR20, Now with Roll Cage!

Post by Datsunnismo »

Well its finally time to start my thread on my second Datsun build. Ive been browsing this forum for quite some time but i never really committed to posting much to it.
I built my last 71' 2 door with an s14 SR, but that car never got every thing that i dreamed of. So its finally time to start my dream car.
My plan is to do an almost full body restoration minus the usual sand blasting process. This car is gonna be a Sunday driver, so its gonna be as close to track ready as i can get it, with all the luxuries of a daily driver. Its gonna be a typical S13 SR swap, for the only reason of parts availability and power upgrades that are available. I learned a lot from my first swap and will be doing things differently based off that information I collected from that build.
First Part of the build:
SR swap with my own custom engine and transmission Cross member.
Techno Toy Tunning DIY front coil over kit with T3 camber plates and 250lb front and 300lb rear spring spring set up.
Tokico illuminas 5-way adjustable front inserts and KYB AGX adjustable in the rear.
Front Struts are 280zx assemblies.
Modified Rear sub frame with 4inch Tube to allow 3 inch exhaust.
Mandrel bent 3 inch exhaust Turbo back with V-bands.
Fuel Cell
New Fuel lines.
All Auto meter gauges.
Corbeau GTSII seats.
Redesigned seat mounting points.
Big Front mount intercooler fitted behind grill.
Respray under coating.
Mandrel bent intercooler pipes.
4 point roll cage with harness bar.
15 X 7.5 +7 and -5 SSR Reverse Mesh wheels with the flat lip.
New Brake lines.
240z Brake master and new clutch master.
2002-2004 WRX Center console.
300zx brakes with parking brake. (questionable)
R200 Shimmed with J30 Vlsd. (Sorting parts out for this one)
Tucked and hidden wiring with modern style relays and blade type fuses.
Im sure im forgetting lots of other things but ill add them as I update the thread.

Now with some history on this car...
Its a 1971 2 Door. what I believe is to have been a California car all its life. I purchased this vehicle about 2 years ago from an older gentlemen that had bought it as father-son project with intentions of an SR swap. Those entire 2 years i just let the car sit and collect dust just because I had no time to work on it. I got a great deal for what i got and the body shape is great. Its a great car to start with.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t18/ ... G_0023.jpg
I only work on this car during the weekends and a little bit during the week, DAMN WORK! I will be putting as much time as I can. Ill be taking as many pictures as possible and providing you picture junkies with as many updates as i can post.
Ill post some pictures of the stuff i already have and working on a little bit later. Im actually posting this from the garage :lol:
Stay Tuned....
Last edited by Datsunnismo on 07 Jun 2010 20:16, edited 3 times in total.
Desert Eight Cruise Club
Datsunnismo

Re: 1971 Datsun 510 SR20DET Swap Project

Post by Datsunnismo »

As i promised the pics here are some things i got for the dime.
SSR Reverse Mesh
Mandrel Pipes For downpipe and intake.
Intercooler and radiator
I have the whole set of these
Ive always loved these seats. Corbeau GTSII
Seat rails
Suspension kit
Got the Wiring diagram blown up at my local kinkos. is actually very legible.
Ill be working with these things i got for a while.
Im working on a write up for those coilovers. So that will be sometime this week.
Desert Eight Cruise Club
NCRmtrsprts510

Post by NCRmtrsprts510 »

very nice! how much did that auto meter digital speedo run ya?
Datsunnismo

Post by Datsunnismo »

I think that speedo was some where around 150 at my local speed shop. I remember that they had a deal going on the ultra lite series that weekend.
Desert Eight Cruise Club
Datsunnismo

Post by Datsunnismo »

I have always wanted to do a write up for these DIY type coil overs.I purchased the kit from Techno Toy Tunning. http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=797
Its actually very reasonably priced for what you get. So if you got a welder and the know how this kit is great. It Comes with everything stated and i believe if you pay a little extra you can get the nicer top hat that comes with a thin little bearing.
So i started with a set of Turbo 280zx Strut assemblies.
Completely disassemble them just leave the strut tube with perch on it.
To cut the perch off its fairly simple by cutting the weld off, but careful not cut to deep so not to cut the tube. Once the weld is cut just hit the perch with the hammer and you will see the weld crack and the perch will slide off.
So I did some research and I found out that some 280zx strut inserts are different lengths. Which was very odd but i guess it makes sense in the idea that the different lengths would compensate for driver side sag. My struts where like this, but i think they installed a spacer sometime during its life on the car just for availability of parts. This is a comparison of 280zx struts with Z32 struts.
Next we have to measure the struts inserts in comparison.
We measure the Stock inserts. Which mine in this case measured 15 inches. But your gonna want to measure the tube with the nut on it because the length is slightly longer.
Then Tokico illuminas 5-way adjustables P/N# BZ3125, which fit 90-95 Toyota MR2, measured 12 inches and 7/8th of an inch. Again make sure you measure the tube with the nut on it because it makes a huge difference.
I took both measurements and subtracted the smaller from the larger.Then i took that number and got the amount of material that would be removed from the tube. I cut a little bit less then what i measured just for doubt. Make sure that you take the section out of a portion of the tube closes to the top, Above the perch, being because that section is not a weight bearing part of the tube.
So i tack welded it and checked that the nut would run all the way down onto the tube. I used the old inserts, since their garbage, to hold the tube nice and straight while I tacked it. Once the the tube was nice and straight I welded it all the way around.
After i welded it i went over it with a 80 grit sanding disc.
The next part unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of this part, but its pretty self explanatory. I measured the Adjustable collar. Then i left the collar placement about 1/2 inch from the top of the tube so that i can tighten the strut insert nut well with out running the risk of damaging the collar. Position the new perch in place. Use a 90 degree square to make the the perch level. Tack weld it in place double check for its straightness. Then just do a final weld. The assembly is easy from there on in no need for a spring compressor or anything like that.
This will be your final product.
And your done with the front suspension all that is left is painting and assembling the rest. Its pretty easy nothing to special. I hope this answered some questions and if you have any please do not hesitate to ask.
Desert Eight Cruise Club
thisismatt
Supporter

Re: 1971 Datsun 510 SR20, Now with Coilover Write up!

Post by thisismatt »

Looks good. One suggestion I'd make is that you bevel the joint before welding. You'd get a more thorough weld that way.
I'm your huckleberry.
Datsunnismo

Post by Datsunnismo »

ya make sure to do that so u can gett properly fused tube while welding.
Desert Eight Cruise Club
Datsunnismo

Post by Datsunnismo »

Hey guys! Man what a busy weekend and week its been.I got started on my intake this weekend. Here is a few pictures of what i got done this past weekend.
I got all this from http://atpturbo.com/ It was reasonably priced this is that i bought everything for my intake and down pipe.
Tack welded on the bench.
Test Fit:
It looks pretty good. Just need to weld it all around.
There is also a new edition to the family :).
A true barn Yard find. All original 72 wagon with factory A/C.
The only thing un-original is that i later found out it had an L20 in it. Its a small project between me and my brother. Just gonna get her running and drive it around a bit. might become my commuter if we can get the A/C worked out. Im looking for a compressor and the brackets if anyone has them laying around please notify me.
Thanks and enjoy the pics. :)
Desert Eight Cruise Club
Datsunnismo

Post by Datsunnismo »

Well this weekend i got a little bit done. My weekends have been crazy busy.
I started the rear crossmember.
Step One: Modification for 3 inch exhaust.

So what i did was find a Pipe with an inner diameter of 4 inches. Fortunately i had this laying around from when i did my last rear crossmember.

So first thing I had to do was remove the old exhaust hanger bracket.

I used a 4 1/4 inch hole saw set.

I welded some square tubing into the existing whole. Then i just centered my hole saw and marked it and sawed away.

then cleaned it up and tacked.

then finally welded.

It came out decent, im happy with it.
Desert Eight Cruise Club
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Looks really nice!! I hole sawed my first one, no more of that....the second time I used a cutting torch.....once you get the hang of it, it's much easier.
Datsunnismo

Post by Datsunnismo »

Ya i had a lot of practice with hole saws recently. It sure did come out a whole lot nicer then some other large holes ive made. Very happy with the out come, although i thought my welds could have been nicer. But there still strong welds so it will do.
Desert Eight Cruise Club
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

Hole saws work great as long as you keep the rpms at proper speed for the size saw you're using, and use cutting oil to keep things cool. Your saws will last a hell of a lot longer as well.
I'm your huckleberry.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

yea, it worked great, but damn near broke my wrist a few times, I hammered a shaved down 2x4 in there and went to it....under the car too!! I guess if you have it out and on the floor it might be easier, but this time around the cutting torch was nicer. Just more than one way to skin a cat!
Datsunnismo

1971 Datsun 510 SR20, Updated

Post by Datsunnismo »

Sorry for no updates guys but its been 2 busy weekends. I finally got the Gray dime running and took it to the Z meet in orange last week. loads of fun!. Here is some pics :)
Me and my dime!
My Best friends M30 in the middle.
Well back to the project.
I rolled the car out this weekend to start stripping the under coating
Some primitive coil overs
So the goal is to strip the complete underside of the car and respray it with POR15 and then with all new undercoating.
Test fitting the ride height lol.
So i read that any chloride based paint stripper is the only thing that works on under coating. So i bought Jasco paint stripper that I i found at most home improvement store. I used the paste it worked well. I also used some Unitex gloves which worked well with the paint stripper, they did not melt.
So I applied the first coat of this stuff. which i did the car in sections. Let it sit 30 mins and started scrapping. Long and pain staking process, but its worth the efforts. Then applied a second coat and power washed it off to neutralize the stripper and repeat.
I did not get pictures of all the car so ill snap some when im ready for the POR15. The great news is i did not find any rust!
So as soon as the weather gets a little better ill spray the underside with the por15. Well see you guys next time.
Desert Eight Cruise Club
okayfine
Supporter

Re: 1971 Datsun 510 SR20, Updated

Post by okayfine »

I'd be cautious about your DIY rear coilovers. If your choosen shocks aren't meant as coilover shocks, they may not be engineered to take the weight of the car, as you now have them set up to do.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson