New member 71 SR20det Black Top ground up restomod

View and post your 510 project(s)
old510ballz

Re: New member 71 SR20det Black Top ground up restomod

Post by old510ballz »

Here is my "HAND PICKED, LOW MILLAGE" DGR $3,000 + S14 Sr20det engine :evil: The only time the car has been driven is to the alignment shop. Last time I checked engines dont drop a cylinder in a few miles of driving.
DGR said they were going to work with me to try and solve all the problems that came from the build I paid them for, but in typical and predictable DGR fashion nothing came about. Now we both have to waste time and money in court :evil:

Did a leakdown following the compression test and it seems it's all leaking out of the cylinder. There wasn't any sound what so ever coming from either valve. The strange thing it doesn't smoke at idle. Any SR guys that have some advise??
Attachments
datsun 031.JPG
datsun 030.JPG
Track Junky
Supporter

Post by Track Junky »

No advise, sorry to hear about your troubles with DGR, good luck with that. Although I have to comment on that sweet Snap-On comp gauge, very nice piece! I'm a tool guy :D

Scott.
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Brand new for $100 :D Got to love ebay (sometimes).

I think I'll try SR20forum.com to seek some technical advise. I really have no idea why it doesn't smoke during idle if the rings are shot?
johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu »

Can it be a bent valve perhaps? You gonna open it up and see? Only real way to find out.
http://easytunegarage.blogspot.com/
nickledimeme
Supporter

Post by nickledimeme »

I wonder if the reason for no smoke is becasue the cylinder is completely dead....no spark, no compression equals no smoke. There would be fuel in the oil if there was a large enough hole in the piston. It may be bad rings with no sparky....just an idea.
Are you saying it does smoke under load....and just not at idle or it just does not smoke?

or like John said......valve related.
datsunrcool

Post by datsunrcool »

Try doing a wet compression test. Pour alittle oil down into the combustion chamber. The oil will act like a seal. If its your rings the compression should go up. If not, its probably in the head. Since you say its not smoking its probably in the head? Best way is to do a leak down..Nice build by the way..Love the color
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

Any updates on your engine situation?
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
-Isaac Asimov
CorAce

Post by CorAce »

Very nice build!!! I just read through your whole thread from the start. If your lacking in motivation you should go back see how for you have come :shock: . It has certainly worked for me. Did you install the big glass your self or have the pros do it? We need an update.
car more gooder then book
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

nickledimeme wrote:I wonder if the reason for no smoke is becasue the cylinder is completely dead....no spark, no compression equals no smoke. There would be fuel in the oil if there was a large enough hole in the piston. It may be bad rings with no sparky....just an idea.
Are you saying it does smoke under load....and just not at idle or it just does not smoke?

or like John said......valve related.
Yeah, smokes under load and not at idle. I did a wet compression check right after I found the cylinder was dead and it didn't budge. That's when I thought it was a valve (which would have been best) so I ordered a leak down tester. After the leak down test I went back to thinking it was rings again, or maybe what you suggested a hole in the piston :( because all the air was leaking from the valve cover vent/oil cap. Absolutely nothing from the intake or exhaust.
What ever it is it's something catastrophic because the gauge shows 100% loss. There isnt any fuel in the oil, and the plug is dead black with unspent fuel. I guess I could get a scope and look in the cylinder, but at this point I dont want to spend any more money until this court issue is solved.

Thanks for all the insight.
Attachments
datsun 024.JPG
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Thought I'd throw this in. My 68 grill emblem had been left to die (so I'd thought) and this 3m polish performed a miracle on it :D No I dont work for 3m. . . . James Johnson recommended it and the stuff is excellent.
Just thought it might help a few people out considering the age of all of our slightly tarnished 510's.
Attachments
datsun 085.JPG
datsun 084.JPG
datsun.jpg
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Well . . . . . after 5+ years of working on my car I'm getting extremely sick of seeing it parked in the garage, so it's time to get on with the engine re-build. I'm going to tackle it myself with a bit of help from DPR racing. It's the first time building an engine from the bottom up so it should be fun and interesting. The goal is reliable horse power, with emphasis on reliable. Leaning towards 9:1 compression for a little better torque, but we'll see.
Not going to be easy with a one car garage and virtually no driveway, but I'll figure it out.

Here's my first purchase towards the build- a set of JWT S3 cams. They seem to have the best linear power curve for smaller turbos. I also have a JWT ecu, so it makes it easy for a re-tune.
Attachments
engine rebuild.JPG
old510ballz

Post by old510ballz »

Well, got the engine apart and found the culprit. I can't even explain how angry I am :evil: . There is no f---ing way DGR compression checked this engine. If anyone is ever contemplating doing business with DGR, just look at these photos to get a better understanding of their business ethics. I really wish I would have run a compression check on the engine before I pulled it out for body work. The only words I have to describe DGR at this point is CRIMINAL OUTFIT!
I would rather do business with the old Washington Mutual CEO than DGR.
Attachments
engine rebuiding 036 REDUCED.JPG
engine rebuiding 034 REDUCED.JPG
m33pm33p
Supporter

Post by m33pm33p »

be thankfull your block is ok... Looks like just a tiny bit of score that would hone out.

beware drg
NICKLE&DIME

Post by NICKLE&DIME »

Man that really makes me wonder about who not to do business with. I am sorry about your bad experience. I hope that your paint and weld work came out to your liking.