General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
vgwagon

New toy

Post by vgwagon »

So I decided to relive my youth a little and picked this up
1984 Diamond Back Viper with blue OS Skyway Tuff II's
1984 Diamond Back Viper with blue OS Skyway Tuff II's
DSC02772 (Large).JPG
I'm thinking of getting another one but an old school 1984 Skyway T/A.....I had a chrome one when I was a kid.
Last edited by vgwagon on 13 Nov 2009 14:32, edited 3 times in total.
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted
Benzo

Re: New toy

Post by Benzo »

nice. there is a big resurgeance in older bmx bikes. I had a mongoose and a redline PL20 I sold and got a lot of money for each. those skyways are hard finds along with the tuff mags.
tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

skyway is nice. 240 and i relived our childhood biking days again about 5-6 years ago. we got my brother and another friend bikes and we had a four man bmx crew. we rode all over maple ridge and poco until the speed zombies started to take over the streets, which led to a few situations. the rides also led to quite a few juicy wipeouts, ripped open limbs, cracked heads and faces, teeth through lips, road rash, you get the picture. be careful our bodies dont like the poundings as much anymore. cool bikes.
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.
619sd510

Post by 619sd510 »

Nice skyway, they did a re-pop (another run) of original skyways recently of about 200 i believe and there were more than 500 people on the waiting list.

going at roughly 500 dollars for frame and forks...they made a killing...i got:

nickledimeme
Supporter

Post by nickledimeme »

Dude....at least you still fit your bikes... :D Very cool.
The parts are getting extremely expensive, even with the bad economy. Can't quite figure that out ???

Here are couple fo my OLDSCHOOL BMX projects.

Garry Littlejohn side hack

1977/78 CYC STORMER....my first real bmx bike I owned. It has TUFF I's and some NOS tange forks, new headset, bottom bracket, coaster brake, used 180 cranks, Diamond Back bars for now. It is a rider now.....I don't have any current pics of it..but I actaully ride my old fat ass on it. lol

1977 CYCLE PRO FOILER....PRE FMF , Race Inc. Same frame builder that started Race Inc built these for CYCLE PRO. He also built the frames for Kawasaki back in 1975....that is were the flat top tube come from. I had one of these as a kid and everything on the bike was GOLD anno. This is not the exact bike frame....mine was Gold.
It was stolen from me while at the local pool back in the day. I got the frame back a year or 2 later. The kid was walking his bike (I mean evryone elses bike) through the basketball court area near my house. It was in the local projects of HIGH POINT Seattle. Very baaaad part of Seattle back in the 80's. I told my Dad that was my bike, and he walked right over there and snatched it right out from under him. :lol: lol.

1976 SUZUKI FRAME I stumbled across on Criagslist a couple of months ago. These are very rare also.

sdterrible1

Post by sdterrible1 »

Very cool! Awsome bikes guys. I want to get one too, ive been looking for a while now but nothing that fits my pocket book lol. Hopefully soon tho!
Drive a Datsun
benz-tech
Supporter

Post by benz-tech »

I had a chrome Supergoose II. I cant remeber the name of the wheels, but they had normal spokes but the rims were made with the Tuf wheel material. What were they called? Damn, memory starts to crap out after 40. I was way more of a wuss on a bike then than I am now, course now I wear full gear.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

(ACS Z-Rims?)
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

I ended up finding a chrome skyway t/a frame and fork set. I will be slowly building it up.
I've picked up some CW bars and am looking at some profile cranks, lay back seat post on the way. I will probably rob the blue tuff's off my diamond back and use those for the t/a. I have a set of red araya's that I can put on the DB. Just need to find some cable brakes for both bikes now. I picked up a ACS freecoaster coaster brake converter, it's pretty cool. It allows you to roll backwards without the pedals turning on you like a regular freewheel does. Anyway the weather blows right now so it's probably going to be awhile before they see some real action again.
Pictures of the T/A to follow soon.
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

Here are some recent shots. The bike is almost finished. Brakes and levers are the last needed parts. Here it is My Skyway T/A
Side shot with new decals applied
Side shot with new decals applied
90% finished
90% finished
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

nickledimeme wrote:Dude....at least you still fit your bikes... :D Very cool.
The parts are getting extremely expensive, even with the bad economy. Can't quite figure that out ???
1977/78 CYC STORMER....my first real bmx bike I owned. It has TUFF I's and some NOS tange forks, new headset, bottom bracket, coaster brake, used 180 cranks, Diamond Back bars for now. It is a rider now.....I don't have any current pics of it..but I actaully ride my old fat ass on it. lol
Tuff I's are sweet. I wonder why they stopped making them that way. The smaller hub center looks so much better.
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I was diggin the CW's (are they the actual ones? - I guess it'd be hard to say).
Quite cool my friend, have you gone out and bought yourself a pair of Vans yet? :D

For the funniest photo of the year; I could get on my Redline for a calendar shot! :roll:

I know they built those old flight cranks are strong, but man I think I'd be puttin' them at risk!
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
jesusno2

Post by jesusno2 »

Oh man! This thread is great! I was just at my good freinds house and he's got a very sweet original GT preformer looks new still! I was telling him about the hutch bikes I used to have. Your guys remember those? I have a titanium hinge for a ankle now thanks to a older mongoose! (Berore they were made in china and sold at walmart!) I sure wish I wouldn't of thrashed my old hutch now! Wonder if their worth anything?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Most of the stuff isn't worth much - except to us guys who did the pedal pedal pedal!
The BMX bike just groomed me for the 510 to come - I just switched from spending every penny I had on the bike to every penny I have on the car! On the bike I rode till I broke it, fixed it and started the cycle all over. On the 510's, it seems I just wanted to go faster (except the rally cars, I broke them quite a bit too!). The bike kept me out of trouble in a low income hood as a kid surrounded by other less desirable kids; the 510 kept me broke enough as a teen to keep me out of the drugs and alcohol and eventually let me into motorsports and a group of people who really had a positive impact on my life as a young adult.... Looking back, I wouldn't have done it any differently :D
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

Byron510 wrote:I was diggin the CW's (are they the actual ones? - I guess it'd be hard to say).
Quite cool my friend, have you gone out and bought yourself a pair of Vans yet? :D

For the funniest photo of the year; I could get on my Redline for a calendar shot! :roll:

I know they built those old flight cranks are strong, but man I think I'd be puttin' them at risk!
Byron
No, they are copies and unfortunately they are not as nice as the rest of the bike. Hard to tell from pictures on the internet before I bought them. I'm looking for a better set of bars. Original skyway race bars go for $400+ so I have to look for different alternatives.

Yeah the flights are strong. Probably keep you up for a while before failing. :roll:
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped