Undercarriage Cleaning

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
moath

Undercarriage Cleaning

Post by moath »

Anybody have tips for cleaning the undercarriage (tools/chemicals/etc.)? I think I've got all original dirt on my car :)
Colbino

Re: Undercarriage Cleaning

Post by Colbino »

The fastest, cheapest (if you have a 30 gallon or more compressor), & easiest thing to use is a mini needle scaler from harbor freight. Just make sure you buy the warranty as I went through two of these things. I tried hand scrapping, undercoating removal chemicals, wire wheels and brushes, even an angle grinder with scotch pads, and they all sucked. Then I found this bad boy. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=96997
If takes the old dirty brittle undercoating off like a "hot knife through butter." You can do your whole underside (90% assembled!) in a full day. Just jack the car up and put it on some stands, remove the wheels and have at it.

Have fun!
wilderb

Post by wilderb »

I used the harbor freight $20 grinder and a set of their cup style wire wheels, they sell a kit that has 2 cups and a wire wheel brush for cheap, worked really well I then used some rhino liner to cover the clean surface
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Just be careful as I've heard that the old under carriage undercoatings have asbestos so beware.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon