2009 AGM

General Discussion about the 510 Club of BC
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: 2009 AGM

Post by bertvorgon »

Thanks to Jamie for hosting us again, that was fun.

The CLUB

An Editorial

Last night, at our annual AGM meeting, our latest club president asked a question, about the direction of the CLUB. This was prompted by the fact that some of the past meetings have had very low attendance. Good question. What I thought was a very lively discussion followed, and it got me to thinking on the drive home, the sound of the thrumming tires and transmission noise getting me lost in my thoughts.

Having been through five “clubs” now, in the last 34 years, I have seen the same progression, as the 510 Club has gone through now. The original group that formed the 510 Club, and the early members, came together for the love of the 510, and competition, both on and off the track(s). Coupled with this though, was the social aspect, of a common love. And with this, as any group that comes together, is the fact that we all learn about those people, who bring their own life’s experiences with them. This to me is the essence of any club, the fun, the talk, the other things we get up to, that is a “club”. Then, as a club matures, that original group tends to fracture, burn out, and move on, as children, life, job, etc, dictate time and energy. But, the connection that has been made, as those members actually become lifelong friends, is never really broken. To this day, I still get together with some of my original car club friends, from back in 1975.

Last night was the same thing, some of the original members came out, sharing their common love for what we had done in the past.

The 510 club has now progressed to that point, it survives on the social aspect, with the cars as the common denominator. Our drives now, to me, fill that need to belong, and at the same time, keep the “vehicle” of the club alive. It serves its purpose of bringing an eclectic mix of people together, even if it is for only a couple of drives a year, a few car shows, etc.. What is most important, is that it lets our friendships continue. That..is always worth the effort to keep things going!
Attachments
IMG_6965.JPG
IMG_6962.JPG
IMG_6960.JPG
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

and a couple more....
Attachments
IMG_6961.JPG
IMG_6964.JPG
IMG_6963.JPG
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Well said Keith.That is the main reason that I joined the club.I really enjoy sitting around and talking about our cars and our experiences with them.When I joined back in 94 the first person that I met was Noel Kohen.He was very helpfull with a couple of questions that I had.The first club meeting that I attended was great.The people were friendly and I had fun talking with them.I hope that this club goes on for many years to come and that we all remain friends.Also as a consequence of joining the club I met Dave Doan who at the time owned Axcess Automotive.He and his partner were very helpful In getting my car to pass the dreaded AIRCARE many times.I feel that all the members of the club contribute 110 percent in their own unique ways.I think it is quality not quantity in this club. Long live The 510 Club of B.C.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Morning all, a fun meeting and a nice dinner with good company, a big thanks to James M and Mrs M for putting up with and hosting us again! I'd like to echo Keith and Ron's sentiments with a few more of my own. The club members have been friendly, helpful and inclusive to a relative newcomer such as myself. I've learnt a tremendous amount about cars in general and 510's in particular from them.

As Keith has pointed out, 510's have passed on from being a simple, cheap, commuter car, to a car with a mystique, a "cult" classic. It's not necessary to own a 510 to join the club, however, the love of the car, that is the common denominator that led most of us to the club in the first place. This does limit our potential membership. The drives, the meetings and the shows are the direct consequences of what we belong to the club for, writing something like this is for your friends in the club and of course the Realm.
Jason
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

clickie clickieImage

sorry everyone about taking off for all the good stuff. I hope this helps! haha!
i'll have to call John and get an update.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
vgwagon

Post by vgwagon »

rnorrish wrote:clickie clickieImage

sorry everyone about taking off for all the good stuff. I hope this helps! haha!
i'll have to call John and get an update.
Nice stitch work!
Denis Gagné
AKA VGwagon

69 510 VG30e swapped
73 240z VG30et swapped
86 300zx na2t VG30et converted
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

hmmm. maybe I made datsun510.com crash? oops. haha!
it was just that good.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.