Transmission Identification

defdes
Supporter

Transmission Identification

Post by defdes »

Since I have 4 differant gear boxes in my posession right now, and recently went thru an i.d. drama, I thought I would post up some visual info. This might make a good sticky, but the Obergrupenfuhrer's of the site will decide.

Here is an ultra-close ratio Roadster box with an L series bell housing:
roadster-top.JPG
roadster-prof..JPG
Last edited by defdes on 24 Feb 2008 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
defdes
Supporter

Re: Transmission Identification

Post by defdes »

Stock 4 speed:
4spd-top.JPG
4spd-prof..JPG
Last edited by defdes on 24 Feb 2008 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

82/83 280ZX:
280zx-top.JPG
280zx-prof..JPG
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

KA24DE:
ka-top.JPG
ka-prof..JPG
Please add on as you get them...
DiamondBlue559

Post by DiamondBlue559 »

can the KA24 tranny even bolt on to the L series engine ( like L16-L28) or you would have to modify the thing together?
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

It would be raked about 30 degrees toward the passenger side due to the location of the starter on the bell housing. So, short answer, no. I don't think the KA will except a L series bell housing, though I could be wrong.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The L, Z and KA have the same bolt pattern for the tranny, however the Z and KA motors sit vertically ,(or very close) while the L series motors are actually leaning to the right (pass side) by 12 degrees. The tranny front case half bolt pattern and starter position for the Z and KA motors have been rotated 12 degrees to the left to fit the more upright position of the motors.

So yes, the KA tranny will bolt up to the L series, but it will have to be tilted 12 degrees to the pass side it line up with the L series motor bolt holes. This will also tilt the tranny mount and shifter 12 degrees to the right. To correct this, the front case from an L series 5spd can be swapped onto the front of the KA's FS5W71C to orient the shifter into the 'L' position. It sounds easy but there are some mods to make to it. I don't see why the KA tranny shifter can't be bent into the vertical position and a small wedge used on the rear tranny mount to compensate for the tilt.

The L and most Z series FS5W71B trannys are 31.5" long but the KA's FS5W71C from a D-21are at least 2" longer. The 240sx are longer still.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
freekwonder

Post by freekwonder »

Looks like I have a 82/83 280zx transmission on my hands? Sorry if I'm making the thread turn to shit.

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Could be a '77-79 620 or 280z but not 280zx. I don't think it was made after '80.

Can you post a picture of the shifter from the side?

Did the rear mount come with it?

Something odd about it but will have to wait until I get home from work to look some stuff up. Don't give it away just yet.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
freekwonder

Post by freekwonder »

Possible on the 620 I think. The kid didn't have a lot of information his dad use to race it with the 5speed an the L20b that I got with the car. He didn't know where the motor and transmission came from. There are the two only other pictures I have I can try and get a few better ones tonight. Hopefully I can find out. I don't need and want to get rid of it, but don't want to say the wrong thing and make somebody get something they were not expecting.

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

FWIW can you post the number stamped on the top of the bell?

Closest one I can find that has that particular case... (note the gussets around some of the bolts that hold the front and rear case halves together, also the two longer through bolts and thicker case on the top) ... is maybe a 5spd from a '78-'79 810/Maxima. It still could have been used on the 280z, you never know.
drieseck
Supporter

Post by drieseck »

I'm pretty sure the "ears" you see poking out both sides when looking straight down on the shifter mount indicate 280z not zx, a direct bolt to the L.16/18/20. Dave
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Yes that, and the retaining bolt for the speedo drive is in the 12 o'clock position. All indicate a pre 1980 tranny.

freekwonder

Post by freekwonder »

Sorry, I've been so busy lately I completely forgot about the transmission.

So with out having the number, most likely this is a Z 5 speed?
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I'll say '77-'79 280z/(maybe zx). The 620 trucks had a top or 5th gear switch in '78 and '79 which this trans does not have. Doubt the 280 did as it was efi.