L16 problems

72Dat510

L16 problems

Post by 72Dat510 »

So i finally have the car running again and it starts right up everytime. but sometimes it wont climb above 35 mph and is really put put puting along before it eventually dies then i start it back up and it will either work fine for a lil while or do the same thing...any suggestions on what could be causing this lack of power? thanks
hang_510
Supporter

Re: L16 problems

Post by hang_510 »

fuel filter :?:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

From your previous posts, it would seem that you have plenty of issues that could be contributing to poor running. For the internet to be of any service to you, you'll have to detail the condition of your car as well as detail the symptoms as you experience them, along with any attempts to remidy the issues that you have performed.

Also, do you have a FSM?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
72Dat510

Post by 72Dat510 »

Fair enough..i put a fuel cell in the trunk its has all new fuel hose and filters, replaced plugs and wires, battery, cleaned fuse box, and that's about all i have done to the motor...saying that, the motor was supposed to be rebuilt for me 2 years or so ago but the guy who knew everything didn't know as much as he thought because he never could get the motor right. the car wouldn't cruise above 65 without starting to bogg down, sputter and die it usually would start back up but it was still a pain...so not having anymore money to play with it and needing to find a highway ready car it was parked...since then i have done all the above mentioned but i still have the same problem only worse..i can barley hit 55mph with out it starting cut out and really im happy when i hit 55 cause it beats the 35mph when you got your foot all the way in it and its bogging down and wanting to cut out. I know this can be multiple problems so im really just looking for a place to start.. thanks for the help..anymore ?'s i will be happy to answer.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

So you are saying it's an intermittent problem? Has the car EVER successfully pulled all the way up thru 65mph smoothly?
If no. I would start with the basics. Check the cam timing. Check your ignition system (what type is it?). Check the plugs (lean/fouled), then the fuel system (what type is it?).
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

fuel tank vented?????????
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

banzai510(hainz) wrote:fuel tank vented?????????
I was just thinking that! take it for a straight line zip with the gas cap off!
:twisted:
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
72Dat510

Post by 72Dat510 »

yes i would say its an intermittent problem because it has worked before but not recently.....i think its a good probability that its due to the fuel cell not being vented so i will try that first..but due to weather(snow) its gonna be a couple days before i get to test it out..im still using points for ignition but am hopefully switching to electronic soon....thanks for help ill let you know how it goes.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

72Dat510 wrote:yes i would say its an intermittent problem because it has worked before but not recently.
If it has run normally at times, you can probably rule out things like cam timing and engine internals. Fuel supply is the like culprit, but as you have points, bad/failing condensors can also reek havoc.

Plumb in a vent pipe for your fuel cell. No chance of going back to the stock tank/system? A vent system would at least eliminate that potential cause. This process is going to be a lot of that.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
banzai510(hainz)

Post by banzai510(hainz) »

NO hot water line to intake????????????if stock or DGV carb.

if somebody installed a head with no water passage. Happen to me.Cut out at High rpm. Was Jap import L18 with no holes in head. Added water line all OK.