Window Squeeges

hang_510
Supporter

Re: Window Squeeges

Post by hang_510 »

joker72z wrote:I think I am going to order a pair to test fit on the new 4 door.
8) for being the guinea pig!

check out how they fit the rear doors too!
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
joker72z

Post by joker72z »

I actually ran downstairs to see how each door looks for wear and I only need the driver door. I'm still going to replace both fronts and if they fit really well, I will post up some pics and think about replacing the rears as well. I also need inner door rubber as well but that is pretty reasonable to buy as an aftermarket item ( I think) ).

It should take about 7-10 days to get the pieces from Black Dragon as they are really slow but I will update this thread once I get them. If anyone does theirs first, let us know.

Chris
Never start vast projects with half-vast ideas
1971 510 2dr, 58KM original
1/74- 260Z, 66K orig miles - SOLD
1/73- 510 2 door bare shell - SOLD
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

joker72z wrote: I also need inner door rubber as well but that is pretty reasonable to buy as an aftermarket item
yes. seems to be a common part, so not too outrageou$
should still be avail from nissan (IIRC its in the part# sticky)
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
johnnygalt

Post by johnnygalt »

Just for the heck of it, I called Long Motor Corp, the parent company of Black Dragon, Victoria British, etc to see if they know what a huge opportunity the 510 community is, especially compared to some of the low production # British car marque's they support. We'll see if the marketing guy calls me back.
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

It has been a long time since this thread was commented on... Has anyone found a source for 510 Window trim / squeegee replacement? My trim is perfect but the rubber on both doors is pretty bad. Would love to find a viable replacement.
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

All your rubber needs can be met by datsport in Australia. Well worth the money and effort. The best quality there is.
https://datsport.com/rubber-menu.html
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

MikeY wrote: 07 Jan 2021 21:59 All your rubber needs can be met by datsport in Australia. Well worth the money and effort. The best quality there is.
https://datsport.com/rubber-menu.html
Thanks! I had been to their site, but missed the specific line item. I'll contact them - I'm interested in whether the outer window belt seals come with the steel part. On my current trim, the chrome trim is in great shape but the metal that holds the rubber seal is quite rusty so I'd like to replace both the rubber and the steel that holds the rubber to the trim.
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

:idea: The rubber they sell does not include the steel stiffener. But there rubber is stiff enough to use without the strip. Not that i was happy about gluing the rubber to the stainless trim, that is what they advise. So it's not stapled. They recommend loctight 401 I think. Or some other number. It seemed like crazy glue. Ive done it that way on the last restoration. But it's only been 6 months of non use. Ive heard of someone reusing the staples and drilling little holes. Pretty tedious. Baz and Tracey at datsport seem really nice and go back a long way. So I've come to trust them.
Just for context. Ive owned a 510 since 76. Not the same one. Lol. And been restoring them for about 5 years. I'm in semi retirement and do one a year. Full rotisserie jobs. Very satisfying. Currently booked 4 cars ahead. Takes me to 67 years old and hopefully full retirement.Lol.
I've still got a few cars of my own I'd like to get to.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... t&start=45

Don't know if this is any help, but, here is my thread of what I did. As Mike said, it is a bit tedious but, it turned out perfect when done.

I DID NOT reuse the Datsun staples as you will see, they are beyond tough and you would never get them straightened out properly anyhow.

One of those projects that you make a pot of coffee and just sit down and get'er done!
Last edited by bertvorgon on 19 Mar 2023 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
cartel

Post by cartel »

ive actually got both Datsport and NewDatsunParts inner and outer squeegees here now- my pumpkin car came with Datsport ones installed - i then bought the local ones to compare

INNER--the NDP (lol) ones are a nicer profile- a lot shorter and rounder looking and look more like original than the Datsport ones are IMO-
Outer_. . Datsport is more like the original being a flat L shape my pumpkin car has these and one is coming off (P/0 did the install and whatever glue was used didnt hold ) The NDP outers have a lip on them that can sit on the chrome edge- and it has a felt looking lining - i will be installing one just to compare how it looks installed - but its significanly thicker than the Datsport one so im not sure it will work as well - but before i make final judgment i want to see it mounted on the steel completely
Datsport suggested i use a layer of windshield urethane as a base and then black w/s adhesive . (or was it contact cement to that) cant remember now
NDP told me to just use 3m weatherstrip adhesive but in the past on mustangs its never been 100% successful so i dont have high expectations of that lasting-

and the slightly rounded staples i actually have from mustangs as they give you both in a box and most are held in with clips only and the staples arent needed
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

cartel wrote: 09 Jan 2021 00:03 ive actually got both Datsport and NewDatsunParts inner and outer squeegees here now- my pumpkin car came with Datsport ones installed - i then bought the local ones to compare
Interesting... I'd like to hear your final opinion Mike. Obviously easier to get them out of the US if they are of similar quality. I'll need to look at everything I want to order and see if one of Datsport or NDP has everything. I like that NDP has a lot of OEM parts.
bertvorgon wrote: 08 Jan 2021 15:01 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25088&hilit=bert+vo ... t&start=45

Don't know if this is any help, but, here is my thread of what I did. As Mike said, it is a bit tedious but, it turned out perfect when done.

I DID NOT reuse the Datsun staples as you will see, they are beyond tough and you would never them them straightened out properly anyhow.

One of those projects that you make a pot of coffee and just sit down and get'er done!
Thanks for the pointer to that article Keith. If the steel that the current squeegees were attached to was in better shape, I'd probably give that a try but mine are pretty badly rusted so not really an option. I suppose I could try to fabricate new ones but my metalwork skills and tools are pretty limited.
MikeY wrote: 08 Jan 2021 12:39 :idea: The rubber they sell does not include the steel stiffener. But there rubber is stiff enough to use without the strip. Not that i was happy about gluing the rubber to the stainless trim, that is what they advise. So it's not stapled. They recommend loctight 401 I think. Or some other number. It seemed like crazy glue. Ive done it that way on the last restoration. But it's only been 6 months of non use. Ive heard of someone reusing the staples and drilling little holes. Pretty tedious. Baz and Tracey at datsport seem really nice and go back a long way. So I've come to trust them.
Just for context. Ive owned a 510 since 76. Not the same one. Lol. And been restoring them for about 5 years. I'm in semi retirement and do one a year. Full rotisserie jobs. Very satisfying. Currently booked 4 cars ahead. Takes me to 67 years old and hopefully full retirement.Lol.
I've still got a few cars of my own I'd like to get to.
Thanks for responding Mike. Sounds like an interesting semi-retirement to be working 510 projects like that. Would love to see some pictures of the finished projects sometime.
Regards,
Owen
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
iceman510

Re: Window Squeegees

Post by iceman510 »

ostaylor wrote: 09 Jan 2021 23:09
cartel wrote: 09 Jan 2021 00:03 ive actually got both Datsport and NewDatsunParts inner and outer squeegees here now- my pumpkin car came with Datsport ones installed - i then bought the local ones to compare
Interesting... I'd like to hear your final opinion Mike. Obviously easier to get them out of the US if they are of similar quality. I'll need to look at everything I want to order and see if one of Datsport or NDP has everything. I like that NDP has a lot of OEM parts.
Following Mike's suggestion, I purchased these from New Datsun Parts. I have a question about fit. I believe I installed them correctly, with the long skirt portion inside the door (facing outboard direction). Does that need to be glued to the flange? If I don't then it interferes with the lower glass support of the window when the window rolls up. I decided to leave it unglued, and try to get it to just come up with the window and sit on top. Left the windows like that for a bit now, hoping it will "learn".

Is this the preferred installation? I can't see it fitting well rolled up any other way. Thanks.

Inner squeegee with window rolled up (inner flange pivots  up with lower glass support)
Inner squeegee with window rolled up (inner flange pivots up with lower glass support)
window squeegee-inner small.jpg (166.6 KiB) Viewed 7857 times
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

Well, now answering my own inquiry. I left the windows rolled up with the squeegees over the top of the window holding mechanism as in the picture. After a few months, this seems correct, as the windows roll up and down well and the squeegee looks like it will do its job properly.
Pjackb

Post by Pjackb »

anyone tried these ? will they fit a 2 door ?
https://vintagerubber.com/datsun-510-51 ... eegee-kit/
iceman510

Post by iceman510 »

I have some ordered. I have been bugging them for a month to please fix the website and offer a two door set of inner and outer, or offer each type separately. They used to. No sense buying twice as many as you need. I was able to get them to issue me a separate paypal invoice to buy just some outers that I need to repair a set for a car that I have good OE inners available. Don't have them yet, so can't comment on quality. I used Datsport for the previous set I did.

I would call, then maybe they will get on changing the website ordering. They told me they are moving to a new building and adding some equipment to cut some of the various gaskets as their suppliers have become unreliable.

They seem to take care of customer service, but very slow at it. My last order they never shipped (just sitting there-who does that?) until I called to inquire about it.