Tension Control Rods for 510

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
heirfaus

Re: Tension Control Rods for 510

Post by heirfaus »

thisismatt wrote:Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, icehouse. When you shorten the T/C to pull the LCA forward you also need to lengthen the LCA to maintain the angle between T/C and LCA. You can think of the LCA, T/C rod, and the imaginary side between LCA pivot and T/C pivot as a triangle with a fixed angle where the T/C mounts to the LCA. Since the imaginary side has no adjustment, and the angle between the T/C and LCA cannot change, when you shorten the T/C you must lengthen the LCA otherwise the triangle can no longer be complete. With stock rubber bushings, and like you said, enough slop in the T/C to LCA bolts, there can be some deflection whether it be that angle between T/C and LCA or some pulling/pushing at the joints, but once you change out everything to solid mounts and joints there isn't the same give. A clevis joint like some other people have made on the leg of the T/C at the LCA end would let this angle change freely during adjustment. I agree it's a good idea to loosen up the T/C to LCA bolts during adjustment and check your range of motion rather than just cranking down on adjusters and calling it good. That's a nasty way to discover binding issues.
EXCELLENT point!!! I hadn't ever thought about that.
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes