Looking for ideas for paint enhancement

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
510-Trevor
Supporter

Re: Looking for ideas for paint enhancement

Post by 510-Trevor »

Also along the factory stripe thinking is something like on this repro/factory safari rally car: (ghosted in a darker grey)
Or maybe a stripe in the same location , but made more like the old Mopar Strobe Stripe:
1972 Yellow 4dr
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

how would a similiar stripe^ look below the body line (vs on it)???
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
chunstone

Post by chunstone »

Everyone that has commented have really good ideas. The dark centers of the Pannasport type wheels really give it a more performance look, which I like.
I really like the look of the Rota rims with the gunmetal centers that can be had for around $130 each. I guess that I need about 20 to 25 mm of backspacing to clear the front Wilwood brakes. IT has the 280 ZX front hubs and 200 SX rear drums. Right now I have spacers to run the pronghorn type wheels that are now on the car, 4x100 bolt pattern. I can take those off and heve the original bolt pattern of 4x114.3.
I have also seen on ebay some wheels called Motorsports R. I was wondering if anybody has those wheels on a wagon. Thanks.
4 link VG30 wagon, Stage 2 cams PP heads headers.
170 hp-180 tq
Call Doug at UP Motors, Tacoma, "engine swap elite"
TranzAm

Post by TranzAm »

I like the look of larger dia rims but the back spacing and width of those rims arnt right, I also dont care for the style either. The back is either too low or the front is too high. I would Drop down the front, it would will look a lot better. Also I think the bottom stripe takes away from the paint. It makes the car look longer than it is and makes the window area look too tall. I would definitely tint the windows. Other than that I think the car looks great!
chunstone

Post by chunstone »

The front is already as low as it can go. I need to cut the struts to make it lower as the coilover springs are at the end of their adjustment. Just another thing done wrong on a car that wanted be done right. Most likely going with the Rota's, 15 x 7, 25mm offset, gunmetal color on the spokes. This car will be driven to Canby next summer.
4 link VG30 wagon, Stage 2 cams PP heads headers.
170 hp-180 tq
Call Doug at UP Motors, Tacoma, "engine swap elite"
TranzAm

Post by TranzAm »

yea get a nice set of adjustable coil overs under there and you will be sitting pretty!
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

TranzAm wrote:yea get a nice set of adjustable coil overs under there and you will be sitting pretty!
He has coilovers, that's not the problem. Macpherson struts inherently pose problems with lowering and the bigger the wheel the harder it will be to lower the car as the strut moves up higher the larger the wheel diameter. You can only shorten a strut so much, as well.
I'm your huckleberry.
shortmorris

Post by shortmorris »

i didnt read what all every one else had posted but from what i can tell that wagon looks clean. i agree with raising the rear and going with tinting the window. i had seen someone put some sort of BMW mirrors on the 510 that looked pretty bad ass. something a little moresleak would look good. as of the paint i think you got a nice gray/ silver the way it is if it really bothers you maybe some black strip but nothing to major.

I just got into the whole 510 thing and i hope you guys can give me a little advice as well. ill see you all around soon and keep up the old school import look everyone.
TranzAm

Post by TranzAm »

:shock:
guess I missed that part. For some reason I thought he was running a stock lowered spring setup. I am aware of needing to shorten the strut tubes to make the room. Thats what was done to my 72. Thanks for the correction thou, I must have taken a stupid pill or something that night. :lol:

thisismatt wrote:
TranzAm wrote:yea get a nice set of adjustable coil overs under there and you will be sitting pretty!
He has coilovers, that's not the problem. Macpherson struts inherently pose problems with lowering and the bigger the wheel the harder it will be to lower the car as the strut moves up higher the larger the wheel diameter. You can only shorten a strut so much, as well.