Don West needs help

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
Chickenman

Don West needs help

Post by Chickenman »

Had this in the Power-train thread and was recommended that I switch it to here.

Some of you may know Don West. Long time 510 enthusiast. He has the Blue wide body 510.. Don is in a real crisis situation. He needs help from anyone in the Community. He is shortly going to be homeless. No job, no money. I'm heading over there right now to take him to Social services. He is in a VERY bad way.

About the only things he has left is his model collection and slot cars and Track ( Ninco plastic ). And of course his 510. If anyone has any storage space to help him store some things till he can get sorted it would be appreciated. His phone number is: Two Three Six 332-3771 He also has an E-Mail address at don510@gmail.com

This is very serious. I'm having him call the Crisis line right now. Then I'm heading over to his house. I can't handle this by myself. Bad heart. Already getting chest pains. Any assistance appreciated.
Last edited by Chickenman on 18 Jan 2019 06:30, edited 2 times in total.
Chickenman

Re: Don West needs help

Post by Chickenman »

Don is still in a bad situation. But at least better than a day or two ago. I've paid for an extension for his rent till the end of February and some Neighbors and myself had an " Intervention ". Don really needs is some help with moving and storage of some of his belongings, car models and Tool chests etc.

In case some of you may not know, Don has some Mental disabilities ( getting worse ) due to a bad head injury in a car accident from 1979. This limits his ability to deal with difficult situations and Financial planning ( non -existent ) . He has no money and no job and is nearly 65 . Neighbors and friend are dong what we can, but those resources are limited. We are trying to get him a Social Worker assigned to his case, but the situation is very long and complicated. Basically, ICBC should have had him on a Mental disability since 1979... but they screwed him over good.

I can only do so much because of Health issues ( Heart ), so this is a plea to the community to help out in any manner that may be possible. Hopefully his phone will be reconnected soon or we may get him a temporary Cell Phone. Edit: His new Cell number is Two three six 332- 3771. E-Mail: don510@gmail.com.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Last edited by Chickenman on 15 Jan 2019 06:18, edited 1 time in total.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Sent you an e-mail Richard
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
dp61

Post by dp61 »

I don't know Don but indeed he sounds like the kind of guy the community can help out....as to his rent situation there is a program in BC called "SAFER", Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters in which the government will pick up a portion of his rent. This is completely separate from anything social services may provide and an application needs to be made directly to BC Housing. Takes less than a month to process and get on the program. Many landlords like having tenants on this program because it's a virtual guarantee they will get their rent. Definitely worth looking into for someone who knows him and can help him with the application.
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

^ Thanks. We're going to try and get him enrolled in that. His biggest problem is likely going to be the move itself. Note updated phone number. A neighbor donated an active Cell phone: Two Three Six 332-3771. Byron M. has kindly offered temporary storage for Don's 510 and possibly some of his models.
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Just an update for everyone. Don is doing much better and has found an affordable place to live. And thanks to the local community he has found that people really do care about him. He's also realized that he can't isolate himself and become a recluse. Something we can all take to heart.. He's got some big changes to make in his life but things are looking up for him and he now has some hope for the future. Thanks to all that thought of him and helped or offered aid. It made a huge difference.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Don called me and I WILL call him back, as I was out when he called.

We have been busy with a NEW Granddaughter and looking after our first Granddaughter while Mom was "busy".

Glad things working out for him and a big thanks goes to Richard(ChickenMan) for helping in so many ways.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer