L head turbo build

No worries. Post here to your hearts content
RMS
Supporter

Re: L head turbo build

Post by RMS »

datzenmike wrote:As a rule fully floating pins free up a small amount of power.

every bit helps and its one of the reasons im doing this build. another is i hate reaching for third on every hill. i would rather be watching a pyrometer than hanging out in the slow lane with the 4ways on :oops:
the marine and industrial Chrysler motors that i have are of better quality than the Plymouth and Desotos. however chrysler could have used a couple more mains. there are 5 main bearings supporting a 31in long 90lb crank.

i went to buy a tcase for parts. I showed up in the m37 and the guy says "i have one of those for sale its beside the house". i walked around the corner and there was a rolling chassis with a new set of tires. the guy said "$500 and there are a bunch of parts inside the house" so i laid out some cash. i was looking at getting new tires and i couldn't pass on the deal. it took me four very heavy trips to move everything home :D
while spelunking in the heap of parts i noticed that everything I needed to rebuild the truck was there. boxes and boxes of nos, parts, bearings, seals, bushings and fasteners. every part for the motor is machined and coated in Cosmoline. i could walk into the shop tomorrow and start assembling. i could even have a fresh stock 251 rebuild hanging on the crane for Christmas.
but being ahead in the game at the start I figured i would put a little extra into the build t
datzenmike wrote:As to exotic coatings the heat loss saved may add 2-5% more power.
if that 2% more power can be translated into specific fuel consumption i will take the .28 of a mile per gallon for around $50 a piston shipped.
datzenmike wrote:I imagine there is provision for clearance adjustment and valve lifter
pretty much. just a self locking adjustable tappet, cap, keepers spring and valve.Image
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

my flat head build will have to wait. i spent the allocated funds on a datsun :mrgreen:
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

That old rally car may again live to see another day!
I tyhought it was a gonner, glad you have it - did you get it all? Turbo motor? What are your plans?

I'll be happy to read it in your new thread on this car.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

just going through the car for now. i would like to get it running and stopping but it could be a long road. its been sitting for ten years now. i have most of the parts for the car. there was a O ringed block but that was lost a few years ago. :? today I went and picked up a new long block but we were not safe with the forklift :cry: :cry: :cry:
I guess now i have to tear it down
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

well its not blown but here are some dgv's on a cast dual manifold

Image Image