SR20DET Powered 260Z

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

SR20DET Powered 260Z

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

Link to a video about one of these conversions.

http://www.doublegutshot.net/z.wmv
1969 Datsun 510 4-door (donor shell for below)
1973 Datsun 510 SR20DET (sort of broken right now)
1998 Suzuki Escudo (JDM Sidekick Sport) 2.0TD 4x4 (daily driver)
2006 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 3V 4x2 (wife's ride)
2005 & 2006 Targa Newfoundland Entrant
510rob

RE: SR20DET Powered 260Z

Post by 510rob »

Bob, thanks for posting that - it's an AWESOME car...

I am ready to dump interest in 510s and join the camp of Zs after watching that video!

How's your RB26 AWD project coming?
supersportsedan
Supporter

Post by supersportsedan »

That car rocks! And the guy building it seems very down-to-earth and level headed. He's done alot of research and built a great car.

Most important statement in the video that applies to anyone doing a radical swap or project like this:

"...now I'm living in the US, building this kind of thing and wasting TONS of money..."

At least he's not lying to himself!

Keith, did you see that gauge setup?! 12 gauges in one! You could clean up all that clutter in your cockpit, and even record your stats...
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

What, you don't like my "clutter?" That was great Bob, kinda reminds me of my car! Just wait till I get my wide band in there.
What also amazes me is that they also have time to do and edit a movie. Very cool. That guy really "gets" it. Power to weight! I bet that thing handles very well, he instantly reduced the polar moment with the small, light weight motor, and reduced the CG.
Andy at Specialty gets that magazine "RACE CAR ENGINEERING" I have often looked at all the great, new stuff in there, one of which was those gauge packs. In my next life, that would be the way to go.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

wOO hOO

no matter how bad ass any z is, ill never trade the dime for one :P

gauge "clutter" :(
analog :)
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
scotth510

Post by scotth510 »

That was awesome. Please post anymore links to sweet ass cars like that.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Notice he was using SDS Engine Management! That's pretty cool. Nice, clean and neat, down to the basics....of having fun!
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
5teN
Site Admin

Re: RE: SR20DET Powered 260Z

Post by 5teN »

bertvorgon wrote:What, you don't like my "clutter?" That was great Bob, kinda reminds me of my car! Just wait till I get my wide band in there.
What also amazes me is that they also have time to do and edit a movie. Very cool. That guy really "gets" it. Power to weight! I bet that thing handles very well, he instantly reduced the polar moment with the small, light weight motor, and reduced the CG.
Andy at Specialty gets that magazine "RACE CAR ENGINEERING" I have often looked at all the great, new stuff in there, one of which was those gauge packs. In my next life, that would be the way to go.
I started getting this magazine a little over a year ago, and it is by far the most informative magazine I have come across! It isn't all that cheap, but it makes a nice annual xmas present :-)

Thanks for sharing that link Bob, that car is awesome. I'd agree with others that the builder had a good vision and equally good execution.
Pierce

more links

Post by Pierce »

1970 datsun 510
susp: setup for auto-x
engine: l20b
inteior: stock
Byron510

RE: more links

Post by Byron510 »

All we see of the second car is the nice paint job, the first link posted here is pretty cool since the owner goes through all the technical bits - I like that car!
But there's only one sad thing missing with this conversion on both these cars. Z 6 Cyl. motors, especially when equipped with a triple twin-choke side draft set up, has got to be the sweetest sounding motor ever (with the possible exception of the Jag XKE twin cam with the same carb set-up).
Bob, can't wait to hear yours, it'll have the right bore count!!!
Still, nice cars!
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
rnorrish

Re: RE: SR20DET Powered 260Z

Post by rnorrish »

5teN wrote:
bertvorgon wrote:What, you don't like my "clutter?" That was great Bob, kinda reminds me of my car! Just wait till I get my wide band in there.
I started getting this magazine a little over a year ago, and it is by far the most informative magazine I have come across! It isn't all that cheap, but it makes a nice annual xmas present :-)

Thanks for sharing that link Bob, that car is awesome. I'd agree with others that the builder had a good vision and equally good execution.
I also snag this magazine when ever I'm in Langley (closet place to find it). Spencer, what does the subscruption end up being for a year. I'm getting tired of the $14.00 a shot - though it's well worth it!
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
tank

RE: Re: RE: SR20DET Powered 260Z

Post by tank »

pierce u from cumming im in buford
rust buckets inc. bitches
510rob

RE: Re: RE: SR20DET Powered 260Z

Post by 510rob »

hang_510
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: SR20DET Powered 260Z

Post by hang_510 »