Building a Morgan 3-Wheeler Replica

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
okayfine
Supporter

Film at 11

Post by okayfine »

Make a short video with the latest progress. Gives a better sense of the scale of the thing, though perhaps not of the front track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaJVyKMwZqc
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
goichi1
Supporter

Re: Building a Morgan 3-Wheeler Replica

Post by goichi1 »

Cool Video! looks like it's coming along good. How stiff or soft is the front suspension?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Wheel rate is something around 100 in/lb. Slightly higher than a stock 510, but with less than half the weight. If anything I'll probably end up softer, but this is a place to start.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Moving around the car in this vid really gives a much better perspective on the angles and placement of components in relationship to one another. This is the first time I've seen the actual placement of the rad. I'm embarrassed to say, but I thought you were going to place it in front of the motor; that's why I had my panties all in a bunch earlier. To be honest I had no idea the V twin on the Morgan was water cooled until I saw the Leno clip. Damn things got fins, so I just figured it's like a honk'n big Harley. :? Yet another serving of pickled Ron's feet.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Leno's original Morgan is water-cooled, but current Morgans are air-cooled.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

More foot? I'm stuffed already.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
shacks510

Post by shacks510 »

Looking good!

Suggestion: Install the final gas tank on the passenger side for weight offset of the driver?
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Thanks for the video, I can't wait to see a video while driving. I'm sure there are Morgan forums. Have you been active with your build on one? If so what are some of the people's responses?
looking for pass. side arm rest
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I haven't been active on any Morgan forums. There are also forums for builders of reverse trikes/3-wheelers, but there's only so much time in the day. I'm sure there are some good resources to be had.

Still tossing around the final position of the gas tank. Had planned to put the battery on the passenger side. Might be able to put both. Had also thought about putting the fuel tank over the feet, under the hood...but I'm probably going to keep it at the back behind the 20ga "fire wall" as it were.

Got the roll hoops bend up over the weekend, so that's the next big push. Once those are in and braced, much of the rest of this build (electrical, mainly) will fall into place. With that, I can run the engine off a gas can, if I have to. Oh, yeah, gotta build the exhaust...

Also started looking at the driveshaft. Honda has a splined output on the trans and a driveshaft with u-joint to slide on. The driveshaft ends in another spline and the original idea was to just make the OE driveshaft longer. This won't work because the trans output has 21 splines and the driveshaft output has 20 splines. ? In any case, I bought a spare trans output shaft, so that'll get welded to the longer driveshaft.
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

How does it feel when you press on/sit in it? Wondering how all that spring rate math checked out :D
shacks510

Post by shacks510 »

okayfine wrote:Still tossing around the final position of the gas tank. Had planned to put the battery on the passenger side. Might be able to put both. Had also thought about putting the fuel tank over the feet, under the hood...but I'm probably going to keep it at the back behind the 20ga "fire wall" as it were.
That's what I was thinking too, I just didn't say it because there was no battery tray. Keeping it back would probably be better; again, for weight distribution, and keeping it away from the heat and engine its self, and in the event of an accident, they're not close to eachother.

I watched the Jay Leno's garage about his 3-wheeler. I thought it was pretty funny when he said "if you get in an accident, they just dig a hole and lower the whole car in the hole with you still in it."
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

HudsonMC wrote:How does it feel when you press on/sit in it? Wondering how all that spring rate math checked out :D
With the damper knob turned down (4 of 16 from full soft) there's some good jounce. Turn the damper's up to 8 and there's a little compression and not much rebound.
okayfine
Supporter

Roll Hoops

Post by okayfine »

Got my 1.5" .095 wall tube bent up. I'd originally bent it with a 24" leg and a 36" leg, intending to drop the longer leg down to the bottom tier of the chassis. This didn't work out for various reasons, so I ended up cutting it at 24" as well, then welding it to the top of the top tier of the chassis.

I'd previously welded rounds to the Goldwing frame stubs, to give me something easy to weld braces to.

I welded short braces between those rounds and the inner legs of the hoops which I'd placed pretty much in line with. Then I braced the hoops between each other; this will also serve as the upper brace for the seat belts. And I welded kickers from the outside legs back to the Goldwing frame.

I also welded in 1" box tube along the floor to act as a stop for the seat bottoms. For most of these jobs my MIG gas gauge was showing empty; I was pretty surprised how far I could get on fumes, as it were. Also nearly out of MIG wire. I've put nearly 50lb of wire through my Lincoln buzz box in the 11 years I've had it. HomeDepot is showing stock, and won't charge me 15% Haz-Mat fees like Airgas does.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

okayfine wrote:Wheel rate is something around 100 in/lb.
Wheel rate calculates to 97 in/lb.
okayfine
Supporter

Trans Output Shaft

Post by okayfine »

So, with Honda deciding to make the driveshaft u-joint 21 spline and the other end of the shaft 20 spline, I had to buy a transmission output shaft to get the right spline for the longer shaft.

The bottom shaft is an OE driveshaft, the upper pieces make up the trans output damper. That's a cool mini coilover spring. No idea what I'll use it for, but I'll save it all the same.

What I have currently is the trans output shaft on the back of the transmission. The driveshaft u-joint will attach there, then a longer driveshaft will be made up to span back to the rear. At that point I'll need to put a bearing around the driveshaft to support it, and the spline goes into the original driveshaft in the rear swing arm. That's an additional/same driveshaft as the one pictured, so I'll have two, but one will be lengthened and modified to fit back into the original one. :shock: