Building a Morgan 3-Wheeler Replica

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
okayfine
Supporter

100% Form, 0% Function

Post by okayfine »

Almost always, I'm a function guy. Form is left for those who can do it better. But for quite a while I've been longing for four stacks on top of the Goldwing engine, and I finally have it.

Ostensibly, this whole project started because I wanted to reintroduce PCV, a feature I removed when I did not use the stock airbox. I couldn't do that with the open-element air filter without it looking like a kludge. So I built an aluminum housing for the air filter. I have a 90° nipple on the lid, which pokes through and sits on/squishes a rubber donut bushing that I drilled to fit through the air filter itself (so there will be a stronger vac signal to pull from the crankcase).

And once I did that, it was the perfect mounting for four stacks. And, so, I now have my four-stack look. Absolutely zero airflow benefit since the stacks just feed the larger chamber that surrounds my filter (and previously, the filter was exposed anyway). But, every once in a while, I have get my my inner MaxPower freak on.
IMG_6242.jpg
IMG_6242.jpg (228.4 KiB) Viewed 7037 times
Still need to polish out the housing and add the spring clips. Eventually I may redo the carbs or otherwise modify the system to make actual use of the stacks.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Bike papa
Supporter

Re: Building a Morgan 3-Wheeler Replica

Post by Bike papa »

Julian,
Don't sell yourself short! There's a lot of good "form" on that three wheeler too!

BP
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Night out to eat and cruise, the headlights reflect off the stacks a bit. Oops. Since it's not that much of a night machine I'll probably do nothing about it, but I'd thought about those Toyota fender mirrors with the half-n-half coatings, inside halves were matte grey.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
imtb

Post by imtb »

I thought one of these would be cool with subaru EJ22 engine. Not much bigger in size than the gold wing engine.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Similar, but you'd have the accessory drive right up front which, IMO, doesn't look that nice. And you'd need substantially uprated cooling compared to the tiny GW radiator I'm running. Chassis would end up having to be wider to accommodate the trans and your feet, but that's not a huge deal building from scratch.

Power would definitely be up, that's for sure. The only thing that's lacking with the 1100 is from-a-stop torque. Gotta slip the clutch to get it going without chudder, especially on a hill start. Other than that, the 80hp pushes me along very nicely.

And, if you're going EJ22, there's no effective difference in going EJ25. I LOVE the torque from that engine, really noticeable even compared to my (lighter) KA510. Even with the EJ22 you'd have to uprate that rear tire. I can spin it with the 1100 of I wanted. The GW rear suspension doesn't have clearance for much wider rubber, though.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

These types of speed humps are fun in the 3-wheeler:

You just shoot to have the rear wheel ride through the dips between, and you get a pretty interesting sensation when the front pair of wheels ride the hump and the rear doesn't.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Looks like a decent days weather.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

That's actually a Portland picture, the first that popped up on Google Image. But it IS 70°F and sunny here today, so, yeah! :)
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

okayfine wrote:That's actually a Portland picture, the first that popped up on Google Image. But it IS 70°F and sunny here today, so, yeah! :)
Same here in vegas its crazy!
looking for pass. side arm rest
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Had a night out in the 3-wheeler cut short by a cloud of my own oil smoke. Got it turned around and back home without issue. Figured the valve cover gasket was leaking onto the header (been there, done that, had thought I fixed it), and then saw one of the valve cover bolts loose and just hanging onto the hole in the cover. This hole goes straight into the innards, the bolt has one of those rubber washers to seal it. Seems the bolt snapped off at the threads, so I get to go in and coax the stub out and fit a new one.

No real harm. Clothes smelled a bit, had to clean the right-side suspension and bodywork of sprayed oil. Need to repair and then check oil level and refill.

Still had a good time.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Got the broken bolt threads out of the head. New valve cover bolt is $8, and it's on its way.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I had polished up the timing covers a few weeks ago, but never posted the picture here. Not finished, but it's the best the white rouge and a little 6" Craftsman grinder will do.
IMG_6362.jpg
IMG_6362.jpg (167.84 KiB) Viewed 6711 times
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

Keep up the posts. I love your three-wheeler.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Cool beans Julian, I've been sniffing around the Realm getting caught up, and it put a wide smile on my face to see you're enjoying your creation. I'll bet that thing gets serious attention. It really turned out sharp. LOVE the stack BTW.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Post by StrutlessWonder »

Currently featured on Daily Turismo Site:

http://www.dailyturismo.com/2015/04/10k ... plica.html
Kurt Hafer
'70 2dr VG30et "Strutless Wonder"