BACK TO MY NISSAN ROOTS

View and post your Nissan/Datsun project(s)
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Re: BACK TO MY NISSAN ROOTS

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Wow Keith,that plane almost has as many gauges as your 510----ha ha!
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Reminds me of my cousins strip in his backyard out in Clarksville Tenn.
Also very bumpy!!
Dusty's House.jpg
Dusty's House.jpg (20.15 KiB) Viewed 5713 times
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

two_68_510s wrote:Reminds me of my cousins strip in his backyard out in Clarksville Tenn.
Also very bumpy!!
Why don't you just meet him at the station?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

:lol: :lol:
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Now that I have the modded gas pedal, it points out even more the inconsistent pedal height. RATS, it actually is even worse to drive now.

Thursday this week is tackle the brakes day, bleed, new pads, full visual inspection to try to see what is going on.

I still am leaning to a seal issue, pulling the pads to far back in.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Been awhile since I updated. In the continuing saga of my brakes, it appears I was right all along. It is taper wear/pad knock back issue.

I put new front hub bearing assembly's in yesterday, having had a "growl" for some time. Seems these cars are known for wheel bearing problems. These have 80,000 KM on them at this point. Funny, my Toyota GTS had 200, 000+ Km on them before I had to put some fresh ones in, and I drove the hell out of it.

I find the lack of use of some sort of Never Seize on components by the factory, really strange. I could tell just from how dry the bolts were, steel in the aluminum upright, that down the road these puppy's could be a bear to get out without galling. Also, because of the hub design and the wheel speed sensor, there was a perfect hole and then a shelf where water has been sitting, again corroding the steel and aluminum, requiring me to have to use a slide hammer to get the hub out.

While we had the hubs out, it gave us a chance to really look at the brakes. Right off the bat, Andy saw that on the inner rotor face, the pad was only contacting about 6/8ths of the surface...no contact near the hub edge of the rotor.. The rotor was taper worn in a radial way, go figure. Then of course, the pad was worn this way too, so there was a lot of slop to be taken by pedal travel, hence the "double" racer style pump to get everything squared up. The master on this car is very small, so any un-squareness will just eat any pedal displacement.
I have new pads ready to in, so I am going to get some new rotors and slam them on. At least a rotor change is dead easy on this car, looking forward to getting this fixed.

To be continued.....
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

FIXED!

So, I pull the car into Specialty last Sunday. Took a few minutes to get the car on the hoist, wheels off, then the caliper. At this point, now that I am on track to change the pads, I knock the outside of the caliper off, to remove the pad assembly. After doing that, I of course check the slider function.........

Guess what.....the bottom slider is beyond FROZEN solid...there is my problem!!!!!!!!!! The caliper is prying itself apart at the top only, hence the radial wear on the rotor and pad...and the huge travel required on the brake pedal.

This car has a very small master, so the .020" here and there added up to the need for the double pump, for the caliper to try and square itself, which was almost impossible.

Fortunately, Nissan put quiet a large bolt head on the slider, so we could put that in the vice jaws, then hammer the caliper mount away from the frozen slider. Then, it was recoverable, that I could wire wheel the slider bolt, and, get inside the caliper mount with a small wire cleaner, and get it down to the bare metal.

The rubber "accordion" was in good shape, but, for whatever reason water was able to get in there. We put so much high temp lube in there, we had trouble getting the bolt back into the caliper mount...it hydraulic'd. I would suggest that it was virtually frozen when I got the car....I should have looked at it myself right from the start I guess.

Lube things up, nice new pads in, throw the rotors on....I now have a high great pedal, height is perfect to the gas pedal, heel and toe is perfect. As a matter of fact, I now have to re-adjust my driving style again, as I had altered the way I down shifted with the stupid excess travel.

This whole exercise points out that I should not have been lazy at the start, if you want it done right....DO IT YOURSELF!!!

Also, I'm really pissed at the Infinity dealer, when I explained the brake issue to them, and OBVIOUSLY NOW, blew me off and never looked at the damn thing. Coincidentally, I got a card in the mail the other day from the dealer, noting that they had NOT seen my car for it's regular checks and oil change. Guess what, I am going to send THEM a letter, with a CC to Nissan Canada, with some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, as to WHY they will NEVER see my car in their shop.

Car is sure fun to drive now, and, again points out the relationship of having everything set up right, for heel and toeing, and the brakes being consistent.

Now...if I can figure out that crappy drive by wire......

Keith Law
proflex
Supporter

Post by proflex »

Sounds like the PO never did or had the recommended brake services done, probably had the attitude that he was going to save some money and would just let the next guy worry about it. Guess who the next guy was. :wink:
Kidding aside, I know how you feel Keith, I’m glad you found the problem.

Chad
In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Thanks!

Man, I have had to change my whole driving style, amazing how one adapts to things. With the deep travel, I would have to center my foot way over the brake pedal, so as not to snag the gas. Now, I just just breath on the edge of the brake, which stays above the gas pedal now.

The drive by wire/throttle hang up does present it's own set of issues, but, for the most part it is really good now.

Almost as good as my 40 year old 510....... :lol:

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Bonus score..

I stumbled upon the entire FSM for my car online, which I was able to download...now I can get my wire cutters going.....

Car has been so much better to drive now with the brakes fixed, could be a hair firmer, I may just bleed them myself, bit of a procedure to do that due to the ABS.

Keith Law
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

bertvorgon wrote:I may just bleed them myself, bit of a procedure to do that due to the ABS.

really? I've always just bled mine the old fashioned way. What's different?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Ahh, help me out here then. The FSM says I need to disconnect the battery, to disable the ABS system?!

there must be some issue with the ABS sensing the brakes being pumped, during the bleeding process? I got such conflicted information on the G35 site, I just thought I would follow Nissan's recommendation, they put that there for a reason.

Keith Law
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

That's interesting. I had never heard that, so never did anything like that. Hope I wasn't messing anything up. I've always bled with the car off, so don't know what the ABS would be doing.

Does it indicate to disconnect the battery to disable ABS, or only to disconnect the battery without any reason?
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

Could be the typical start to anything found in a Haynes Manual.
Step 1: disconnect the battery.
Step 2: do what you need to fix it.
Step 3: reassemble in reverse order.
Step 4: reconnect battery.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC »

rnorrish wrote:Could be the typical start to anything found in a Haynes Manual.
Step 1: disconnect the battery.
Step 2: do what you need to fix it.
Step 3: reassemble in reverse order.
Step 4: reconnect battery.

Yea, that's what I was thinking.

I remember one time I forgot that step when working on the wiring in my CJ-7. Took a pair of side cutters straight through "hot" and "starter" and my Jeep took off down the driveway and almost into the street with me laying under the dash. I'll never do that again. :oops: