rear brake adjusters.

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
datzenmike
Supporter

rear brake adjusters.

Post by datzenmike »

Probably already covered but previous owners or mechanically challenged current owners of 510, 610, 710, B-210 who have rounded and/or worn down adjusters that even vice-grips can't turn effectively, here's what I did.

Besides a thorough cleaning and lube with lithium grease I welded 14mm nuts on them. Christ, so bloody easy to ratchet these back and forth to get that sweet spot.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
greenthumb

Re: rear brake adjusters.

Post by greenthumb »

Brilliant! 👍👍
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I have done the same in the past, it works well as long as you keep those adjusters moving and lubricated with anti-seize.
The reason this wasn’t done from the factory is that with this mod, and the adjusters can no longer be disassembled. Years ago I bought the M8x1 tap required to “repair” the thread just for these very adjusters. But honestly it’s the two sliding components that operate agains the cam on the inside of the adjuster that usually stick.
But like Mike said - if the unit has been previously munched, what do you have to loose! I’m doing a rear brake job today on a club members 510, and it absolutely would not surprise me if I’m right here doing this very thing.

Thanks for posting Mike.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
andrew.lori
Supporter

Post by andrew.lori »

I Tig welded the balled up ends and cut them back to 7mm that way I can still disassemble them.
1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A
1970 Datsun 510 KA24DE
1973 Toyota Celica
1972 Triumph GT6 SCCA Vintage Race Car
1974 Mazda RX3 former IMSA race car