Fuel Pump Question

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
timmer510

Fuel Pump Question

Post by timmer510 »

Fuel Pump Question.

Hey does anyone know if the L-Series Mechanical Fuel pump for the 6cyl will work on the 510 4cyl ?

Thanks

Tim
RMS
Supporter

Re: Fuel Pump Question

Post by RMS »

yup thats what I will be running with dual webbers
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

No fitty. Two bolts vs three. MAybe the arm that touches the cam lobe is the dah same, but not sure it will bolt on.

AirTex 1069 vs Airtex 1080 for part numbers at rockauto...

Wait, I have a 510 head here and Z pumps... I check....
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Tim, if you're looking for a larger-than-stock-510 mech fuel pump, the pumps for L20B will fit and are larger than 510, so will push more volume. I posted a Carter-boxed screw-top pump recently in another thread, available from RA.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

The Z pump "fits" on the two studs, but there is a small gap left at the top of the head hole, just above the pump body. Maybe the gasket/insulator will cover it. Looks like it might work IF the actuator arm is same. I don't have a 510 pump handy to compare. Best go with okayfines solution.

Let me also share a recent discussion about rebuilding Z pumps. I believe this applies to the current situation and also sheds light on how many of the early Datsun's fuel pumps share common components.

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/50679 ... fuel-pump/
Butts

Post by Butts »

I had a bad experience with a Spectre Premium pump, which is very similar to the Airtex pumps at Autozone, RockAuto etc. I'd stay away from them. I'm getting a Carter pump per Okayfine's recommendation for a few bucks more, the engineering is much closer to the OEM pump.
Doctor510

Post by Doctor510 »

The Z (6 cyl) pump and the 510 share the same diaphragm, doesn't fit well and offers no advantage for performance. Want performance? Go low pressure electric.