Building a garage... looking for suggestions.

General & Technical discussion about other Nissan/Datsun cars
McWicked
Supporter

Building a garage... looking for suggestions.

Post by McWicked »

Hey all, been a while since I posted.

As the title suggests I'll be building a detached garage in the coming months, as a dedicated project-car/shop space. This is something I've been dreaming about doing literally before I even owned my first car. I've finally been green-lighted and my devious mind has been in overdrive.

First off, I don't have unlimited space to work with. With the space (and familial patience) available, I can squeeze in something slightly larger than the standard 24'x24' two-car garage. Think something like 24'x30'. Budgeting is more flexible. So I guess what I want to know is, what would you do with the space?

I already envision copious amounts of power outlets, compressed air drops, a decent workbench, and plenty of bright-ass overhead lighting. What else? For those you have been there, and could do it over... what would you do different? For those still dreaming like me... what should I do?

I feel like a prison convict who has been teleported into a whorehouse with a pocket full of money... got a few ideas, but not sure where to start.

-McWicked
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
e510

Re: Building a garage... looking for suggestions.

Post by e510 »

Make 13' ceilings and 6" concrete floors for the 2 post lift. one of the best investments ever.

James

Post by James »

This garage is pristine......
The lifts are great - I wish I had the height in my garage to utilize them.....
Finished is better than perfect......
gooned

Post by gooned »

try wandering around on the garage journal forums - some very good ideas over there...all sizes and budgets
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

I have done the garage build thing twice now and I am doing it a third time as we speak. 24' x 30' is ok, but if possible go 28' x32'. The 28' wide allows you to work on the cars while still having room for stuff on the side and the 32' allows for shop equipment on the front wall and allows for a work area between the equipment and the front of the car(s). But, before you get to far along in the design process, check your setbacks and CC&R's and other regs, because these will determine a lot of what you can do and not do. If you want a lift, then you need a least 11'+ ceiling height. Most of time there is CC&R's height restrictions on out buildings, so one way is to use 9' wall studs with sissor trusses to gain the required height for a lift.
Some other things to consider; 2 x 6 walls and the structure insulated to the limit.Garage door, insulated, 8' height. Put the compressor in its own room. Don't use PVC for air lines. Use copper, steel or the new plastic or aluminum piping. Put in gas to the garage for heat,(IMHO heat is the greatest investment that I have ever made in a garage, it's really really nice). Put skylights in, it helps a lot with lighting, in fact some days I don't even turn on the lights. On the lighting, put the lights over the sides of the car(s) not over them. You need 100 lumens per square foot for nice quality light. Use T-8 lights, not T-5 if the ceiling is not 15'+. Put 120v outlets at 4 to 6' spacing and at 50" from floor so that sheet goods don't cover the outlets. I am going to use Wiremold 3000 series surface mount conduit on my new garage, it allows you to put the outlets anywhere you need them now and in the future easily. Check it out. Put some 220v outlets a round the perimeter. Use a 100amp + panel for future needs. Paint the inside a light color, semi gloss for easily clean up. Put up cabinets with doors, not shelves, keeps the stuff a lot cleaner.
Just some things to think about. I am sure I can think of more things.
McWicked
Supporter

Post by McWicked »

510wizard wrote:I have done the garage build thing twice now and I am doing it a third time as we speak. 24' x 30' is ok, but if possible go 28' x32'. The 28' wide allows you to work on the cars while still having room for stuff on the side and the 32' allows for shop equipment on the front wall and allows for a work area between the equipment and the front of the car(s). But, before you get to far along in the design process, check your setbacks and CC&R's and other regs, because these will determine a lot of what you can do and not do. If you want a lift, then you need a least 11'+ ceiling height. Most of time there is CC&R's height restrictions on out buildings, so one way is to use 9' wall studs with sissor trusses to gain the required height for a lift.
Some other things to consider; 2 x 6 walls and the structure insulated to the limit.Garage door, insulated, 8' height. Put the compressor in its own room. Don't use PVC for air lines. Use copper, steel or the new plastic or aluminum piping. Put in gas to the garage for heat,(IMHO heat is the greatest investment that I have ever made in a garage, it's really really nice). Put skylights in, it helps a lot with lighting, in fact some days I don't even turn on the lights. On the lighting, put the lights over the sides of the car(s) not over them. You need 100 lumens per square foot for nice quality light. Use T-8 lights, not T-5 if the ceiling is not 15'+. Put 120v outlets at 4 to 6' spacing and at 50" from floor so that sheet goods don't cover the outlets. I am going to use Wiremold 3000 series surface mount conduit on my new garage, it allows you to put the outlets anywhere you need them now and in the future easily. Check it out. Put some 220v outlets a round the perimeter. Use a 100amp + panel for future needs. Paint the inside a light color, semi gloss for easily clean up. Put up cabinets with doors, not shelves, keeps the stuff a lot cleaner.
Just some things to think about. I am sure I can think of more things.
Thanks Wiz, all excellent advice. Unfortunately, I don't have much leeway on the overall size. 24'x30' (or possibly 30'x24') is about the best I can do, mostly due to the laws of physics. You know that pesky deal that no two objects can occupy the same space... Anyway, I plan on building in the height for a lift, but the addition of which will have to wait for Phase II.

So what are your thoughts on flooring?

-McWicked
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

6" slab with hydronic heating, polished. Great looking easy to maintain. Can be colored/stained also.
You could supplement the floor system with hot water solar collectors.
(Have you ever been under the car on a cool slab in the summer? think the opposite in the winter!)
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

I have done the garage build thing twice now and I am doing it a third time as we speak. 24' x 30' is ok, but if possible go 28' x32'.
Huge +1 on the added depth. We built ours without it, and like Monte says, the added depth allows for workspace in front of your vehicle. Not as much of an issue working on a compact car like a 510, but roll a full size vehicle in there, and it is too close to the wall for convenience. Also a + vote for 13' ceilings. We used a 12" foundation and then 12' studs on top
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

Oh yeah, my other regret is the width of the doors. We used 9' wide, but I would recommend a minimum of 10' wide
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

My unfinished fantasy:
garage shop.jpg
garage shop.jpg (633.43 KiB) Viewed 5992 times
garage shop1.jpg
garage shop1.jpg (504.15 KiB) Viewed 5992 times
garage shop2.jpg
garage shop2.jpg (415.21 KiB) Viewed 5992 times
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

garage shop3.jpg
garage shop3.jpg (446.13 KiB) Viewed 5992 times
garage shop4.jpg
garage shop4.jpg (224.78 KiB) Viewed 5992 times
garage shop5.jpg
garage shop5.jpg (360.39 KiB) Viewed 5992 times
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

One of the coolest things I've seen for a workshops are those retractable overhead outlets and compressed air at the front and rear of the car ports. This gets those hose and cord rats nests off the floor. Like Monte said, there may be limitations on 'absolute' height in your area's CC&Rs for out buildings, but often in older neighborhoods there are only story, or outer wall limitations. If this is the case, check to see what (if any) limitations there are for roof pitch. With a tall A-frame structure you can get a great deal of hight and cubic feet of storage using vaulted truss, or sassier truss design like Monte suggested. This is exciting, please keep us posted as things progress.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

And with the proper car in place:
garage shop6.jpg
garage shop6.jpg (483.07 KiB) Viewed 5992 times
Or three:
garage shop7.jpg
garage shop7.jpg (544.59 KiB) Viewed 5984 times
Last edited by two_68_510s on 29 Oct 2013 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

McWicked
Supporter

Post by McWicked »

That's awesome Two_68! But if I built a garage like that, I'd have to make two additions... 1) I'd have to add a small apartment to live in, and 2)I'd need to install a trauma care center to treat the beating I'd receive. Other than that, it looks perfect.

BTW, what software did you use to whip that up?

-McWicked
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Good old freebie SketchUp, by Google.http://www.sketchup.com/download/

Hey, we could make it interactive so everyone could add or change stuff, now that would be interesting chaos!!

It drags like hell after I put the cars in there, I think they may have engines installed, which sucks up processing.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX