///FiveOneOh

Re: Remembering Art Hughes

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

I'll re-plate my wagon tomorrow.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I would suggest that our 510 group be EARLY, as I suspect that a lot of people will be there for Art.

I plan to be there at 1:30, AIS!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Here's a few old pics I found today. Greg Terry, Art Hughes and myself enjoying a small car show in North Vancouver back in 2009. It was an interesting show with just about everything under the sun on display like a 1911 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost to a Factory Five Cobra. Art and I had the only imports there! 8)

James
Attachments
James, Art,  2.jpg
James, Art, 2.jpg (96.58 KiB) Viewed 6208 times
James, Art, Greg.jpg
James, Art, Greg.jpg (120.37 KiB) Viewed 6208 times
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Byron,

Thank you for sharing this. A great tribute to a life well lived.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Thanks for sharing that photo James, it may be one of the last photos of Greg as well.

I'm going to call the pastor at the church tomorrow to make sure all is in order, and will relay the details for Art's Celebration of Life this coming Friday at 2pm.

Let's have a plan together by Wednesday, and we'll post the details here. I'm taking a 510 for sure.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Damn, it's going to be cold driving the 510 friday ....
Jason
lewoolf2

Post by lewoolf2 »

You guys were truly blessed by knowing Art, what a true testament of good man!
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

I'm still trying to get out if work... I'll be there, damn it!
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

Just heard about Art. Sad news for sure. I'm glad to have known him and I'm not sure if it was him or I who talked the other's ear off about Datsuns. A wealth of knowledge and one of the few true die hard fans. Art was always happy to pass on his knowledge and answer every question. We spent a lot of time talking at his last trip to Canby (and many other car shows of course - he was at most of them!) and even though his health was failing I never though Canby 2013 would be without him. Rest in peace Art.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Hi all,

A few of us will be meeting at the church for Art's Celebration of Life at the Unitarian Church parking lot tomorrow (Friday) at 1:30. This will prove to be a unique event. Even though we will miss Art dearly, I look forward to the opportunity to meet with his other friends and colleagues for all of Art's many sides of life.

For those local, Please join us if you can. The address is posted at the beginning of this thread.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Trying to get out for a couple hours this pm Byron. We are down 2 guys at work right now so it's been hectic.
Jason
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Please give a report on this gathering for those of us unable to attend. I would really like to hear everyone's experience.

Thanks,

Ron M.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World.

What can one say.....Art led an amazing life, touched a lot of people, and left some legacy's that will endure.

We had a good contingent from the 510 Club of B.C., as did the Mustang Club, which was Art's passion before the 510 came along.

I must say, at least for me, that this was truly a celebration on Art's life, a good part actually orchestrated by Art. You would have to have known Art, to understand his precision and attention to detail. It was riddled with humour, which was Art, as we knew him.

It pointed out how little we know of our friends lives, people that we see for our car events, yet sometimes know little of WHO that person is, and where he came from. I had know Art for 20 years, yet knew nothing of his other passions. He was an expert linguist, speaking many languages, being born in Shanghai in 1932.

One of my fond memories, back in the early 90's, was of heading over to Vancouver Island for a car show. We were all sitting in the ferries lounge, having coffee and chatting. Across from Art and I was a young Japanese woman, reading a novel. Art looked at the cover of the book, then, IN PERFECT JAPANESE, conversed with the woman. She just about choked on her coffee, that this older fellow was speaking in perfect Japanese, and, that he had read the book! I just about dropped my coffee. This was the first time that I knew Art had some interesting talents.

He also was in the military, back in the early 50's, great stories, I could not do them justice here. I did help Art out once with some medals he was refurbishing for a person at the Legion, of which he was an invaluable member and archivist. As it turns out, more than any of us knew.

His defining moment, was when he drove from Toronto to Selma, to help with the Civil Rights movement, with Martin Luthur King, a very dangerous time for all involved. I can remember as a CDN teenager watching on the news, the marches, and the killings, thinking how brave all those people were. A defining time for sure. I wish I could have asked Art about that...but who knew?!

So, I left with a tear in my eye, and will always see Art lining up the cars to extreme precision, with a twinkle in his eye.

Take time to know your friends, they are all treasures!
Attachments
001.jpg
001.jpg (162.82 KiB) Viewed 6045 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

One other thing I did share with Art,,,clean car!

As soon as we arrived at the motel in Canby...we found the hose and washed our cars.

here is a picture of Art and his car.
Attachments
CANBY 2010 024 (Medium).jpg
CANBY 2010 024 (Medium).jpg (89.67 KiB) Viewed 6042 times

Keith Law
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Great service yesterday and no wonder ........ Art had it all planned out!

Art still lives - on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUTZtyOYXYc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn8tDYs2YZ4
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 11.16.01 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 11.16.01 AM.jpg (47.25 KiB) Viewed 6026 times
Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 11.04.29 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 11.04.29 AM.jpg (46.49 KiB) Viewed 6026 times
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now