Off topic, but...If you had only one day in Victoria?

General Discussion about the 510 Club of BC
RonM
Supporter

Off topic, but...If you had only one day in Victoria?

Post by RonM »

In late June I'll be passing threw Victoria / Vancouver BC with my family (daughter 5, son 10, and wife) on our way to Alaska. We'll have only a day there, so I'm hoping to make the very best of it. What would you recommend as a do not miss attraction given the constraints of having two young kids in tow. I've read a bit about the Butchart Gardens, but as with any place that sized, I'm sure we would do better to narrow our focus to highlights vs, wondering around aimlessly. Please, if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Off topic, but...If you had only one day in Victoria?

Post by bertvorgon »

Hey Ron,

I always recommended the Royal Museum.

http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/MainSite/default.aspx

It is great for kids, lots of hands on stuff, really get a feel for B.C.. You get to go through an old sailing ship, a cannery, an old town, , under ground mine,lots of diaramas. Lots of artist's and buskers on the sea wall, just good fun. Lots of parking scattered around, everything is within a couple of easy walking blocks. Food places all around.

Plus, the Harbour is right there, the Under Sea Gardens are there, if you wanted, right across the street.

http://www.pacificunderseagardens.com/

While the Butchart Gardens are ok, kinda boring for kids, and it is quite away out of Victoria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria,_British_Columbia

hope that helps!

Are you flying into Vancouver.......or......when you say 1 day...it makes a difference as to where/how you are coming in at, and what time frame you may have to see stuff. Victoria requires a ferry ride, which, depending on traffic, can take at least 2.5 - 3 hours just to get over to Victoria, same coming back.
Last edited by bertvorgon on 12 Jun 2011 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
speedy_reedy

Post by speedy_reedy »

drive the sea to sky highway to whistler. beautiful drive
tycot1
Supporter

Post by tycot1 »

there is a birds of prey show with lots of birds, cant remember the name and the Craigdarroch castle. Butchart gardens is great but lots of walking.
http://bigtimemotors.ca 1972 datsun 510 220 hp ka "couped", 1971 510 westwood champ gt4 '81& "83, 1979 550 hp trans am, 1962 cadillac hrdtp, 2005 subaru sti, 1999 triumph daytona 955i.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

bertvorgon wrote:Hey Ron,

Are you flying into Vancouver.......or......when you say 1 day...it makes a difference as to where/how you are coming in at, and what time frame you may have to see stuff. Victoria requires a ferry ride, which, depending on traffic, can take at least 2.5 - 3 hours just to get over to Victoria, same coming back.
We're taking a cruz to Alaska, and the ship will be docked in Victoria for the day, not really sure how long. The ship offers tours but... I'm not one for sticking to the herd. I think the Royal BC Museum sounds like the ticket, and it's something we can do on our own. Thanks a bunch for the recommendation. :wink:
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Cool,

the herd tour from the ships is just that.

Guaranteed you will llke the museum, as will the kids. Even for the young one, there is so much visual and hands on stuff, should be fun.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
sicamoose

Post by sicamoose »

A must - a meal at Pagliaccis....so good. Right downtown.

www.pagliaccis.ca/

Sent from my SGH-T959P using Tapatalk