Hello from Cologne/Germany

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
Tonito

Hello from Cologne/Germany

Post by Tonito »

Hey there 510-lovers,

I am Toni from Cologne/Germany and i recently bought a factory black 1969 L510 sedan with red interior (i love that combination).
It is imported from Greece and comes with the small L13, drum brakes all around and obviously a lot of rust :)

ImageImage Image
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Plans so far? Fix the major rust holes and brakes, get some nice wheels, get it TÜV-inspected and have a blast driving this rust bucket.

cheers from far far away :)
Last edited by Tonito on 01 Mar 2018 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
Byron510

Re: Hello from Cologne/Germany

Post by Byron510 »

I'm having trouble finding this major rust you speak of :-)

Welcome to the realm - cool car. Love to see more of it as you build.
I too have an L13, but mine is a 68 MY and with 3 speed column shift manual with a bench seat fron and rear. Mine is blue on blue.

A factory black 510 is indeed a rare item, very few were made and of course fewer left!

We'll look forward to more.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Tonito

Post by Tonito »

Hi Byron,

thanks for the welcome.

I will start a build thread as soon as i start working on the car.
Unfortunenately my other cars just broke down. My diesel Land Cruiser won't start and i don't know whats the matter and my BMW daily has a broken generator. On top of that it is cold AF in our shared workshop - no heater at all. So we all have to wait ;)

Being a almost 50 year old 510 it got some holes. The worst spots are the bottom rear quarter panels and the rear wheel houses and some smaller holes in the trunk floor.

A front bench seat is so cool! How is the L13 powerwise? The factory sign says 77hp and this sounds a little exaggerated to me.

greetings
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

Welcome to the realm.
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Tonito wrote:
A front bench seat is so cool! How is the L13 powerwise? The factory sign says 77hp and this sounds a little exaggerated to me.
The bench seat looks cool, and is a bit of a novelty these days. Buy you need a chiropractor for anything longer than 45 minutes in the seat!

The 77hp is SAE Gross horse power rating. This was a rating with no ancillaries like water pumps, alternator (generator) and usually included perfect long tube headers for the tests - so the results were less than actuate! This practice of HP rating was changed in 1979, and sudden and unexpected changes in the vehicle rating plates did baffle people (and dealership salesmen). For instance the 280Z of 1978 here in Canada was rated at 170HP (SAE Gross), yet the 280ZX the next year (with the same engine) was rated at 135HP (SAE Net). This is because the new 1979 rating was under the SAE Net HP test which included all accessories - and in the case of the 280ZX, these accessories included the water pump, alternator, power steering pump and A/C pump and it had to run all emissions system intact with a production exhaust system including the catalytic converter and muffler.

Back tot he L13, a club member did put his L13 - 3 on the tree on the chassis dyno at a club dyno event over 10 years ago an it archived 72 HP to the rear wheels - no correction factors. So that was impressive actually. I would have expected 60, but was proven wrong.

In any case, My L13 car is no power house even in perfect tune, and you think twice before merging from a stand still onto the highway or ever trying to accelerate up a steep hill in the passing lane. But on the other hand, Ole Blue will cruise at 70-80 mph on the freeway, it just doesn't get there all that fast!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Tonito

Post by Tonito »

Hi there,

i did my first mod - bumper removal :) and checked the car from underneath.
Almost all rubber parts and bushings are gone or in bad condition and i took some pictures of the worst rust spots.
Everything seems fine on the mechanical side. Only one u joint has a little play, the drum brakes and some hard brake lines need some attention.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

@Byron:
Wow 72 at the wheels with a car that light seems to be kind of powerful for an engine this small.
I don't expect to win races with the L13 but i don't want to always drive on the right lane either.

have a great day :D
BrandonS
Supporter

Post by BrandonS »

Hello from the Geilenkirchen area! Welcome to the Realm