New from Sunny South Africa

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
Heinrich

New from Sunny South Africa

Post by Heinrich »

Hello Gentlemen and ladies.

been reading the forum for a while.

i am a long time 510 fan and longed for one for a good couple of years untill about 4 months ago.

found 2 cars , planning on building one .
they are in bad shape, but fixable.

here is a pic still on the rollback.

Heinrich.
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: New from Sunny South Africa

Post by okayfine »

Hello Heinrich, welcome to The Realm. A few SA guys here, but mostly just Jared that is an active poster. Some interesting taillight treatments on the two cars you've got, the tan one looks cut for Coupe taillights, but the blue one...we're going to need some more pictures of that!

Be sure to check out the "Suggestions" link at the top of the Intro forum, especially the link to The 510 Archives. 3.8GB of 510 information, and counting.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
shacks510

Post by shacks510 »

The taillights on the blue one look like they're fabbed in from a '64 Impala :lol:

What you could probably do is kinda piece two and two together to get one good car, if the body panels from either car are unfixable. Just a thought.
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

jip, the tan one was cut to accept coupe tail lights.will be taking it back to standard tail lights.
the green one was molested with trailor lights.it is the donor car so i am not too worried about how it looks at the moment.

the plan is too build one out of the two.the tan car's body is actually in good shape as in no major accident's
the floors got some bad rust but nothing non repairable.
the rear 1/4 panels worry me a bit as well as the top left side where the boot plate connects to the left rear fender.the rust there is quite bad.it has started seperating from each other.
but will have more details once i actually start the repair work.

Thanx for the welcome.
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

the cars have since been moved to a place where i can actually work on them.

it has been torn down completely except for the wheels/suspension.

will hopefully start on the rotisserie this weekend.
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

i am researching a neo VVL rwd setup for my 510.
thus far i have gathered that fitting a RWD upper half sump to a SR20 Neo VVL , i should be able to bolt a RWD SR20 gearbox to the engine without too much complications.
the gearbox will have to have some material removed to make the FWD starter fit?

i have the option on a RB20 gearbox for very little money .
to be able to use a RB20 gearbox, i can replace the bellhousing with one from a RWD SR 20 gearbox?

am i on the right track?

if so, i am having a hard time sourcing a RWD upper oil pan and SR20 bellgousing is south africa.
does anybody have spare? price and is it ven worth the effort to ship to SA?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Cross your VVL search here on The Realm with Realm member Dave Patten. Other than him, there's only one other person here who has a VVL swap, and that person didn't do the swap. You're going to be kind of out on your own.

For the transmissions, if you speak in model numbers (FS5W71, etc.) it will be easier for us to know what you're trying to do. US didn't get the RB20 engine in cars so we don't necessarily know which trans that setup would come with.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

@ okayfine : thank you. will do .
i have since found a Upper half sump off a S14. so all i need now is the belhousing or a complete gearbox.
as far as i can tell i am looking for a FS5W71C gearbox.(according my my searches, this is a common gearbox between CA18,RB20 Sr20, with different belhousings.)

had a chance this weekend to remove all the sound deadner with pleasing results.
found very little rust under it.

progress is slow, but progress non the less.
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

Hello again.

not much done to the car as i have undertaken a fixer upper house project (witch i am starting to regret)

i have however acquired 3 gearboxes in various states,Pulsar SR20DET, seats, ecu, and some various other bits.

now, to make myself feel better, i need to acquire more spares , so , does anybody have CAD files of SR20 exhaust flanges?
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

Good Day gentlemen.

i am getting less and less time for this project , but i am keeping at it.

the car is now completely empty except for the the bits that holds the wheels on.
it is scheduled to go for sandblasting next week.

i have removed the previous "repair" body filler from the rear quarter panels.it looks quite bad.

i have also aquied a rear subframe from a 2.8GTX skyline (R30 chassis), complete with brakes.

once back from the blasters, i need to make a trolley for the car so that i can remove all suspension and still move it around.
any suggestions that is not a complete rotisserie setup.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

People here have done everything from a complete rotisserie to modifying two engine stands to radiused plywood bolted to the car.

The Skyline rear end appears to put the rear wheels further back if mounted on the stock 510 chassis points. Do you have any information on that?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Here is the chassis dolly that I used on my Bronze car build up, removed the wheels and tossed in the scrap heap only to pull it out 10 years later, put the wheels back on it and used it under the Greg Terry car.

The dolly simply bolts to both front and rear sub frame mounts.

Byron
Attachments
DSC04195%20(Medium).JPG
DSC04195%20(Medium).JPG (60.59 KiB) Viewed 8551 times
DSC04207%20(Medium).JPG
DSC04207%20(Medium).JPG (62.18 KiB) Viewed 8551 times
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

@ Byron: thank you, that looks simple enough.

@ okayfine: i did measure the distance between the 2 mounting bushes on both 510 and Z30 subframe, there is quite a difference.(100 odd mm iirc)
and although i have not measured if the wheels will sit a bit to the back, it does look that way.
definitely not an easy fit .
i would rather fit the diff to my 510 sub frame.

the disks also fit without any machining to the rear hub or disk, so that is at least something that might go easy.

one more headache is the sideshafts.
i am planning to put a S14 200SX VLSD into the longnose casing.
i found a lot of sideshaft info on here but nothing for this specific setup.basically shortnose R200 VLSD output flanges on the diff and stock 510 hubs.from what i can see VW type 2 CV's on both in and outside with shortened vanagon(called a kombi here) sideshafts.
is this more or less correct?

thanx for the input guy's
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

If you're planning an R200 install, I'd be leery of Type II CVs. But, then, if you're still going forward with the VVL SR, the CVs will probably be fine but the R200 overkill.
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

the R200 is overkill, but finding a R180 with LS unit proved impossible.

still not sure if it is going to be SR20 DET or VVL.
so far it looks like DET , as i have one, and the diff i bought has a 3.7 ratio.

anybody know if 1983 300ZX outer CV's will fit on 510 hub?
i see it is 4 hole but that is all i can find.