Florida newb!

Users must be approved by our moderation team before posting in other forums.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Re: Florida newb!

Post by two_68_510s »

The high end of the spectrum:
DatzillaEngine1.jpg
DatzillaEngine1.jpg (131.25 KiB) Viewed 3151 times
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
d357r0y

Post by d357r0y »

I saw that one, it's pretty intense looking. I wasn't able to find a lot or much of any build info though. It looks like the firewall was pushed pretty far back. I'm thinking no firewall chopping though. I'm currently trying to source a blown LS long block AND A T56 for measurement/clearance purposes.
Last edited by d357r0y on 27 Jul 2014 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... e&start=15

Read through this link, gives you all sorts of takes on the v-8 swap, and then some.

Be kind to the 510 shell........
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I can point you toward some info on Brock's Datzilla build if you want. No firewall choppage will be difficult, though. It's a big motor for the 510's bay, and depth is probably a bigger issue than width (once you add in the accessory drive/crank pulley AND radiator AND fan). Trans tunnel is all kinds of small compared to what you need for a T56, you lose the heater core/defrost box, steering box wants to live where the header wants to live, etc.

Lots of issues. No rocket science, but some people tend to have "V8" on the brain and don't end up looking at it rationally. Not saying you, specifically, but we've seem similar more than once.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
d357r0y

Post by d357r0y »

I'll make you guys this promise...

No cutting until i'm 100% sure that the swap will go the way I want. If it's not feasible, I'll go another route.

Nothing is set in stone. :)

Some info on the Datzilla build would be fantastic.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

I had a V8 510 with an Olds 215 CI all aluminum engine and T5 trans. It was done without any major mods to the firewall but the core support opening was widened to allow the radiator to come more forward (just behind the grill) and there was barely enough room for the compact engine. It never ran as cool as I would have liked even with a 3" griffin radiator and 4 spal cooling fans. I decided a V8 in a 510 wasn't a great swap. I still wanted a V8 Datsun so I built a 240Z.

I did an LS1/T56 swap into a 240Z and there was plenty of room in that car. I know there is no way to shoehorn an LS1 into a 510s engine bay without either cutting up the firewall and moving it back or maybe installing a radiator horizontally under the front or in some other location and utilizing the space where the radiator was for the engine to come forward more. But then you will have too much weight in the front.

So if you really want to do an LS series engine into a 510, be prepared to move the firewall and then find a place to install a heater/defroster remotely. (I see you are in Florida) maybe a Vintage Air A/C system? I put one in the 240Z but I doubt you will have room in a 510. But you will likely need defogger in Florida when it rains.

Datzilla was highly modified. The firewall was moved back significantly, a custom dash was made for it and the seats were moved back so when you sit in the car, you are actually behind the B pillar and the car is a 2 seater with no room for a back seat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/griots/553 ... /lightbox/

Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

DQ Volume 9 Issue 4 - Reader's Dime: Gary Savage sits down with Peter Brock to discuss Peter's newest 510, the 450HP V8 Datzilla
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Phearski

Post by Phearski »

Hey JoJo. I'm not sure if we have met. I also live in Pensacola. Unlike you, I have yet to acquire a 510. But, I do have an LS Nissan.
d357r0y

Post by d357r0y »

Phearski,

I only know of a couple guys in town with 510s and I barely know them. There's a guy over in Jax with a 510 for sale but he apparently thinks it's made out of gold and wants too much.
Phearski

Post by Phearski »

Were you on d2m before? I think I recognize your screenname.
d357r0y

Post by d357r0y »

Yessir. I still go by there and lurk from time to time but it's been ages.
Phearski

Post by Phearski »

I'd like to check out your 510 sometime.
d357r0y

Post by d357r0y »

Anytime (I'm not working) is fine. Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my #.