Door wont open stuck closed.

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Door wont open stuck closed.

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Sup fellas,

So the other day I went to open my 2 doors passenger door and it does not open. I pulled up on the door lock lever and it doesn't come up to disengage.
Even using the key I'm having the same issue. It feels really feels stuck somewhat. I don't have original keys and barrel. My car did not have them as it was a shell when I bought it. Im using a Solex style key and barrel from APC brand. Trunk works fine but the doors have been an issue since install. They work intermittently . I have replaced the spring in the door mechanism and have cleaned them thoroughly. Not sure what to do. I need to open that door as I'm in the middle rewiring the chassis. Any insight will be greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance to those who chime in with useful information.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Re: Door wont open stuck closed.

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Anybody have any ideas ?
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Is it the LOCK that does not work or the mechanism? If there is a lot of wear in the little lever off the back of the lock,which has a plastic sleeve, there may not be quite enough travel...or lift if you will, to pull the door mechanism to open the door.

Best advice would be, if it is on there, the door panel and while someone turns the key, you look up in the door to see what the mechanism/lever is doing.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

Your in a tough spot. But the only access you have with the door closed is the window opening. Seems like time to make a slim Jim or bend up a coat hanger. Might want to open the drivers side, remove the door card and play around while you can look inside and see where to either grab the lock rod , or door latch mechanism.
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

^^^^^^^ what MikeY said...........pull drivers side door panel & acquaint yourself with the mechanism. Probably want to roll passenger side window down, cuz I think when down, it will give you a little more ability to not only get a coat hanger/rod down there, but also so perhaps you can see down there too!

Hmmmmm try a long FIRM steel rod to simply push the latch arm down to open.......just like the outer door handle rod does. Again, look at the drivers side so you know!

Bottom line, as the old grease congeals in the door latch mechanisms, they get sticky & the actuator RODS will bend & stop working/actuating. Sometimes over time, the white (now yellow'ish) plastic adjusting nut on the rod can back off, eventually backing off to a point where it is too far out of adjustment, thus no longer working. There is a good chance that your latch itself is still good, but a good cleaning & lube on OR off the car should help tremendously!
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Theres no door cards. Window is down. When I pull the door handle up it doesn't open. Door handles are brand new. The door mechanism was cleaned and new spring installed. The actual door lock rod doesn't move much when I pull up on it. I haven't had time to play with it today. But I plan to tinker with it in the morning. Hopefully I can figure it out. The drivers door doesn't lock either lol One is locked and wont open. The other opens but wont lock. Car gods through me a bone here. heheh

Thanks guys.
Last edited by eastbaysolo_73 on 29 Jan 2020 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

No door panels is easy! Put windows UP, then you can see it all. The door handle to latch rod is adjustable by the white plastic "nut". I don't think the door lock rod is adjustable.....it kinda just floats in place, simply moves up to unlock, down to lock. If you think the problem is in the locking, then my guess is the latch mechanism is worn out/damaged.
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

yenpit wrote: 29 Jan 2020 09:16 No door panels is easy! Put windows UP, then you can see it all. The door handle to latch rod is adjustable by the white plastic "nut". I don't think the door lock rod is adjustable.....it kinda just floats in place, simply moves up to unlock, down to lock. If you think the problem is in the locking, then my guess is the latch mechanism is worn out/damaged.
Thanks Yenpit im definitely going to work on it today. I will look into the plastic nut at the bottom of the latch. I hope it isn't damaged. I guess I will find to today.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Ok fellas two hours into this and the door is still locked close or jammed. So when you pull on the handle, the rod is supposed to push the lever down that its attached too. That lever does not move no matter if you pull the handle or the the lever inside the door. It does not move at all. Im not sure if the locking mechanism is broken. Not sure what to do, I gave up on it as it was make me super frustrated and the inside of the door holes kept chewing my forearms up. Im open to any ideas or tricks, tips any thing to help get the door open. Thanks in advance for those who chime in. I also noticed that my driver door is also kinda of hard to open. I have to pull on the door pretty hard. Can this be those plastic bushing that are on the door hinges? Ive seen someone advertising brass replacements on FB and Ebay. Let me Thanks again.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Here's what happens on my 710...maybe it might help. The passenger side door lock will pop up when you unlock with the key.... BUT the door remains locked. Multiple fast flicks of the wrist from lock to open position usually dislodges it. Pulling up on it from inside doesn't work either. Then it works so I can't be bothered to try and see what's wrong when it's working. Works all summer probably because it's dry or it gets used now and then.
Pretty sure the downward rod from the key lock has a plastic 'nut' that can be adjusted
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

datzenmike wrote: 15 May 2020 18:22 Here's what happens on my 710...maybe it might help. The passenger side door lock will pop up when you unlock with the key.... BUT the door remains locked. Multiple fast flicks of the wrist from lock to open position usually dislodges it. Pulling up on it from inside doesn't work either. Then it works so I can't be bothered to try and see what's wrong when it's working. Works all summer probably because it's dry or it gets used now and then.
Pretty sure the downward rod from the key lock has a plastic 'nut' that can be adjusted
The lock doesn't work from what I remember. You could lock the door with the nob and the door would open. I removed all the rods and spray some WD40 in there to see if it would free up what ever seems to be jammed. This stuck door lock was cleaned up and lubed. I also installed a new spring. It worked fine for like 4 months then one day it wouldn't open. lol This car really knows how to throw a dam monkey wrench when not needed. Thanks for you reply..

I got the lever to move a tad bit but not much. Not enough to open the door. Im starting to think its jammed on the door striker/door catch thing. Sorry not sure what its called.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Looks like I'm gonna use my dremel tool and have to cut it inside the door close to where it goes through the hole inside the door and makes contact with the striker to get the door open. Every thing I've tried doesn't work. Sheesh the most annoying shit ever.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

dont cut the door.

four things are required to open the door. 1. (if 68 ) the inside door handle must be up/neutral. (68s have a function that locks the door when the inside door lever is pushed down. 2 the arm that the lock rod is attached to must be in the up positions as well as the inside pull knob. these two bars have their own pivots and they join in the corner by way of a hole and a tab. if the tab or hole is worn the lock arm will not correctly engage the hole on the pull arm. making it necessary to jiggle the key to get it to open. overcoming wear in these two arms can be facilitated by some prying action in the corner were the rods meat. you will be looking to move the arms down were they meat in the corner with the hole and tab. if the click spring at the top of the "lock" is jammed or twisted great force will be required. if sufficient movement is not attainable use one of those bent flatheads to force the "lock" off the release. 3. with the "lock" off the release arm push down on the teflon bush that the outer door handle rod is fed through 4. there is a return spring that rotates the latch mechanism. if that spring has broke or become wedged the latch will not rotate without help a strait flatty or some needle nose will help rotate the latch.

and if I could find my camera you would see what im talking about :?
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

all operations described above can be done by standing on your head under the dash....I bring a little pillow..... make it comfy I will also line the sharp openings in the door with some electrical tape.... I wouldn't want the dog to think I was out playing with any cats.

two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Maybe this will help....

Some one can point out the potential offending parts.
Attachments
Door lock.JPG
Door lock.JPG (106.42 KiB) Viewed 2661 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer