Restoring 1/4 windows...

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
JLsKA

Restoring 1/4 windows...

Post by JLsKA »

I'm wondering how to remove the glass and inner rubber seal. Are they suppose to be pulled out together or can the glass be removed from the rubber seal, first? I don't want to damage the inner rubber seals as they're in good shape (I don't think these are available anymore, correct?)... Thanks!
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Restoring 1/4 windows...

Post by okayfine »

The glass can't be removed without disassembling the frame, and at that point the rubber and glass will come out anyway. Tiny screws, lots of times they're rusted or stripped, but once you get those out it comes apart easily.

Look at Datsport for the inner frame rubber. If anyone has a quality replacement, they will.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
JLsKA

Post by JLsKA »

Thanks, I must have missed some screws then. It sure doesn't look like it would come apart in the way that the shop manual illustration shows the exploded assembly. I do have the vertical pieces off... Man, what a PITA! So complicated and heavy... I will keep hopeful that Mr. Patten @ FutoFab will one day offer a light-weight replacement.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

It's been a decade or more since I had quarter windows apart. Someone else is sure to chime in. But, yeah, the frame does come apart - it's the only way.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Many years ago, when I was full on racing, I put LEXAN in my 1/4 windows, it is still there to this day. The LEXAN was virtually the same thickness of the glass, so I have had no leak issues at all.

Only thing with LEXAN is the washing and cleaning, which you need to follow or it will really scratch up over time.

Follow that and you get rid of some up high weight.
Attachments
REAR LEXAN WINDOW.JPG
REAR LEXAN WINDOW.JPG (192.4 KiB) Viewed 3852 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Idoxlr8

Post by Idoxlr8 »

I'm more interested in the Bert Vorgen Brake systems sticker.
Please tell me more, there has to be an intriguing story behind that one.
260z owner
510 wannabe
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yes, there is a bit of a story to it, there might be the first story buried on this site, but I will do an update anyhow.

Stay tuned.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Update is done, just need to fine tune.

I will start a separate thread and drop it into the "TALES FROM THE GREAT ROLLING DYNO" also.

I did not see that I put the original story in there of our track day, but, there is one of the letters from Rimski.

We will put up some pictures from those track days also, as it would be a good historical reference point for the site.
James has lots from those days and anybody else that ran the track, please feel free to add.

Keith Law