Sr20det install with steering cross link

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
heli006

Sr20det install with steering cross link

Post by heli006 »

Do I need to do anything with my steering cross link when installing the sr20. Have my crossmember flipped already but thought I saw somewhere that the steering link had to be changed in some way. Is that true?
toylet
Supporter

Re: Sr20det install with steering cross link

Post by toylet »

flip it
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Center section will hit the motors upper oil pans rear section where those two strength castings are. I've seen pans where that area of contact was machined away enough to where no contact was made. Naturally motor placement rearward will make a hugh difference also in how much of that material is removed. Me, I just flipped the center section and added strenghtening. This 6 years ago and today upon inspection I see no issues. The guys in Auzzland get them heated and bent to fit.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Just leave it. I'd rather have it slightly rub when parking than trust someone welding my steering especially when it's not needed.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Depends in large part on how the engine's mounted. You can make mounts to position it just so. Don't the Australian's offer flipped center links with engineering certs?

I flipped mine, 220V MIG put it on like butter. Been a lot of flipped center links with no reports of failure that I know of.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson