Carbed KA24E

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
Mr0erick0

Carbed KA24E

Post by Mr0erick0 »

Hey guys so I have recently obtained a kA24E out of a Nissan stanza and a 5 speed tranny for my 1968 510.

Any tips or advise going carb?

First time doing anything engine swap related.... or even project related haha
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Carbed KA24E

Post by datzenmike »

The rear facing distributor (CAS actually) won't clear the firewall.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Mr0erick0

Post by Mr0erick0 »

Any other suggestions?
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Well it will be difficult to run with the distributor sticking into the heater core. Until this is sorted, the custom oil pan and engine mounts don't matter.

Find a D21 Hardbody KA '86-97? KA24E RWD with it's 5 speed. Has a front mount CAS that you can remove (needs EFI to work anyway, and you don't want that) and replace with an L series EI distributor. The intake has a down draft throttle body you can make a flat aluminum plate adapter for and run a 32/36 Weber on. With this you have made a KA24S

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/46891 ... rbd-build/
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Last edited by qwik510 on 11 Feb 2017 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Here is another one

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28557

The search tool is your friend
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Mr0erick0

Post by Mr0erick0 »

Which would be a lot easier to install? Weber 32/36 or the R1s?
Mr0erick0

Post by Mr0erick0 »

datzenmike wrote:Well it will be difficult to run with the distributor sticking into the heater core. Until this is sorted, the custom oil pan and engine mounts don't matter.

Find a D21 Hardbody KA '86-97? KA24E RWD with it's 5 speed. Has a front mount CAS that you can remove (needs EFI to work anyway, and you don't want that) and replace with an L series EI distributor. The intake has a down draft throttle body you can make a flat aluminum plate adapter for and run a 32/36 Weber on. With this you have made a KA24S

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/46891 ... rbd-build/
So I could get the head/distributor out of the hardbody and swap it with this KA from the stanza correct?

Thinking about going with R1 carbs as well!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

FWD cars tend to mount their engines very differently from RWD applications. FWD block probably won't accept a RWD distributor, either.

If you're new to swapping 510s, you're inviting trouble attempting to go down a path that few of us have traveled. There are plenty of RWD drivetrains out there and it would be a ton less work simply going with one of those versus trying to rework your FWD engine, nevermind the FWD trans absolutely won't work anyway.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Mr0erick0

Post by Mr0erick0 »

okayfine wrote:FWD cars tend to mount their engines very differently from RWD applications. FWD block probably won't accept a RWD distributor, either.

If you're new to swapping 510s, you're inviting trouble attempting to go down a path that few of us have traveled. There are plenty of RWD drivetrains out there and it would be a ton less work simply going with one of those versus trying to rework your FWD engine, nevermind the FWD trans absolutely won't work anyway.
Guess I'll just find a KA out of a pick up lol

Time to put the current KA up for sale
grimlid

Post by grimlid »

okayfine wrote:FWD cars tend to mount their engines very differently from RWD applications. FWD block probably won't accept a RWD distributor, either.

Thanks Okayfine and Datzemike for the tips. I have a line a ka24e in a 91 D21 with 5spd and going that route.
Ive seen so many Nissan fwd's with sweet motors and wondered why I couldnt find any build threads involving these engines. I assumed it was just the mounts and and/or transmission issues.
I had a hunch it would be a pain in the neck though.
I love my car deeply. I just sometimes wish it wasn't factory green.