Ron Davis info for #1100 1A for KA24DE-T

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Re: Ron Davis info for #1100 1A for KA24DE-T

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

funwithmonkeys wrote:Nice looking motor. 300+ hp in a 510 will be a handful. Especially when that KA comes on boost. I'm just under 180hp at the wheels and my car feels very fast. Do you have a build thread started? It would be great to see your car.

No build thread yet at the moment but its coming. Ive been in my buddy's 400 hp SR 510 and that shit was crazy. Im gonna be running low boost around 7lbs via wastegate spring. Till I buy a boost controller. The KA spools faster than the SR so boost will come on pretty quick with my set up. Im only running a GT2871R so I'm not sure what this thing is gonna do number wise. Don't really care about number's either way. I built for reliability.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Re: Ron Davis 1A-1100 is 25 x 13 x 2

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

510rob wrote:
eastbaysolo_73 wrote:Lol it seems like im constantly talking to my self on this thread. Don't know who I pissed off but wow.
We're here for you buddy.

Thanks man your comments have been super helpful bud!
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

For my KA24e I'm running an inexpensive eBay rad 13x25.5x2" core. It's run like a charm for several years. Similar to Bryon I think I went a little large although I still get up to 160 deg on the coldest of non-snow/salt days. IMO surf eBay and find the sized rad of your choice that has proper inlet/outlet positions and you'll be good.

I've been in a 7psi SR20DET 510 and that was friggin' nuts as well. Fun when the pavement is dry and hot, but quite a handful for pretty much every other condition. I'm thinking of boosting my KA as well but aiming for even low power goals T25/4-5psi for an expected ~200hp/Tq at the crank.

With regards to the lack of comments your thread title insinuated that you were offering some additional info/perspective on the Ron Davis rad, not an actual question on sizing. At least that's the reason why I bothered to read it. I'm sure many readers thought the same and either don't have a 510 or are running a standard sized OEM rad and/or a non-KA powerplant and so they felt no need to respond.

This forum is an incredible resource for information but there's certainly a different vibe here compared to most other sites. The members are extremely knowledgeable, typically older, and their time is quite valuable - at least that's my impression. There's a little less socializing and more to-the-point knowledge transfer. There is somewhat of an unwritten expectation that you either search this site thoroughly or do your research elsewhere on the 'net in advance before posing a question. The advantage to that is that there's a lot of good detailed threads with relatively little redundancy. I also find that members will speak up if your thoughts/mindset is going in the wrong direction but remain reassuringly quiet if they agree. Again, it makes for great uncluttered threads.
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Thanks for the reply DADSZUN. I changed the title to the thread after talking to Ron Davis and getting the info I needed..
Last edited by eastbaysolo_73 on 19 Jan 2017 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
JLsKA

Post by JLsKA »

eastbaysolo_73 wrote:Found this one on eBay. Size wise its perfect for my set up. Says it supports 350hp. What do you guys think?
Here's the link Thanks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161047954295?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
s-l1600.jpg
That's a really nice looking radiator... I'm hoping to upgrade from my old Rabbit radiator to the AFCO Scirocco... Its pretty thick but not very wide, so no need to cut the body.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

JLsKA wrote:
eastbaysolo_73 wrote:Found this one on eBay. Size wise its perfect for my set up. Says it supports 350hp. What do you guys think?
Here's the link Thanks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161047954295?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
s-l1600.jpg
That's a really nice looking radiator... I'm hoping to upgrade from my old Rabbit radiator to the AFCO Scirocco... Its pretty thick but not very wide, so no need to cut the body.
I was gonna run that but went ahead with the Ron Davis rad instead. Im running a front mount IC so I need the extra room for puller fans. The Afco is great but to thick for my set up. Good luck.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

I'm using a dual core ebay radiator but only 10lbs of boost. I'm not blocking it with a front mount ic though. 226hp and it works fine.
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
Mr0erick0

Post by Mr0erick0 »

Post steps need to successfully install a KA! I'm currently long for a KA myself.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Sorry for the tardy reply eastbaysolo (three months). :oops: Although my 510 has an SR20, I figure for posterity I could contribute on the off hand chance someone searches this up. BTW I'm in the East Bay as well so maybe we can check out each other's cars some day.

I have a Ron Davis rad that I got from Mckinney Motorsports 8 years ago and I think I paid $500 for it. Honestly, I'm not sure it's the same one the OP is talking about, but I'll post some picts of mine. I recall having to rotate the lower hose 90 degrees lining it up with the inlet on the SR20. I have never had an issue with the rad nor has it overheated. Bare in mind though, there are a lot of variable that can contribute to the running temp of a car. I have a super high CFM 12" electric fan with 16 wide cowl and the rad is mounted right up against the intercooler so there's very little blow by out the sides. On a turbocharged engine, one of the biggest factors in heat build up is pushing a smaller turbo passed it's ideal efficiency range. There is an advantage in getting quicker spool up, but heat and controllability are the down side. Part of the reason my car runs cool is I have a GT3071r at 15psi getting 300 rwhp running e85. For safety sake the fuel mixture is set towards the rich side so that also helps cool it. Obvious down side of a bigger turbo is slow spool up, but the throttle control is so crisp and linear it makes it easier to keep the motor revved and all boosted up so the power is instantly accessible.

I've talked to a guy who has this same Ron Davis rad on as me on his SR and he's experienced over heating. But he is pushing a T28 to it's outer limits over 18 psi chasing max HP. He's also running a stage 1 cam on 91 oct pump gas. He claims 385hp but I'm dubious.
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

finn wrote:I'm using a dual core ebay radiator but only 10lbs of boost. I'm not blocking it with a front mount ic though. 226hp and it works fine.

Nice !
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Mr0erick0 wrote:Post steps need to successfully install a KA! I'm currently long for a KA myself.

Do a google search and you'll be amazed at how many threads there are. Good luck!
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

RonM wrote:Sorry for the tardy reply eastbaysolo (three months). :oops: Although my 510 has an SR20, I figure for posterity I could contribute on the off hand chance someone searches this up. BTW I'm in the East Bay as well so maybe we can check out each other's cars some day.

I have a Ron Davis rad that I got from Mckinney Motorsports 8 years ago and I think I paid $500 for it. Honestly, I'm not sure it's the same one the OP is talking about, but I'll post some picts of mine. I recall having to rotate the lower hose 90 degrees lining it up with the inlet on the SR20. I have never had an issue with the rad nor has it overheated. Bare in mind though, there are a lot of variable that can contribute to the running temp of a car. I have a super high CFM 12" electric fan with 16 wide cowl and the rad is mounted right up against the intercooler so there's very little blow by out the sides. On a turbocharged engine, one of the biggest factors in heat build up is pushing a smaller turbo passed it's ideal efficiency range. There is an advantage in getting quicker spool up, but heat and controllability are the down side. Part of the reason my car runs cool is I have a GT3071r at 15psi getting 300 rwhp running e85. For safety sake the fuel mixture is set towards the rich side so that also helps cool it. Obvious down side of a bigger turbo is slow spool up, but the throttle control is so crisp and linear it makes it easier to keep the motor revved and all boosted up so the power is instantly accessible.

I've talked to a guy who has this same Ron Davis rad on as me on his SR and he's experienced over heating. But he is pushing a T28 to it's outer limits over 18 psi chasing max HP. He's also running a stage 1 cam on 91 oct pump gas. He claims 385hp but I'm dubious.
No worries on the late response.. Nice build bye the way ! I would love to check out your car man let me know . After many conversation with Ron Davis I went with his radiator as well. I figured cooling is something I shouldn't be cheap on or cut corners. Where in the Bay are you located? Im in Pleasanton. Its been super hard to make any real progress on the build with 3 kids. But needless to say I have been pushing along. Got the motor of the stand finally lol and installed the clutch. ran all the water lines and and oil lines. Re did the the front brake lines in SS tubing as well. Now I have to do the fuel lines before I can install the motor and trans in the car. Lots to do with not a whole lot of time. Progress is progress .
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Hey Solo,

I'm in San Leandro near Bart. I hear what you're saying about moving a build along with kids. I did the same with two kids, but while getting my graduate degree. I tell you though, that build was what kelt me sane through all that. I'll PM you with my info and maybe we can sink up so you can see the car. It will need to be fairly soon though because it's being converted to rack and pinion steering and will be sent to Troy Ermish's shop for dialing that in.

Talk soon,

Ron M
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
grimlid

Post by grimlid »

Im kinda bummed I was looking forward to hearing everyones rad picks for the engine swaps.
Patience maybe and lots of bumps......
I love my car deeply. I just sometimes wish it wasn't factory green.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

I will have some photos up soon of my intercooler and Ron Davis radiator mounted soon. Ive been addressing some door issues and weather stripping installs as of late.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !