Return for a ka24de swap

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
Redrumls

Return for a ka24de swap

Post by Redrumls »

What return setup should I use for a ka24de swap. I'm new to this swap, I purchased a 72 goon with a fresh swap that I need to finish off. He had 1/4 fuel line, he said I have to change it to 5/16 so that's what I'm doing. He had the gas tank set up with a bigger lines for the return & feed. Is there a good regulator/return filter I can put on it.? It has an inline fuel pump right now. Any info would help..
Thanks, Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
72 Toyota corona mk2 mx22 2dr ht
72 Datsun 510 goon ka24de
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
abisel

Re: Return for a ka24de swap

Post by abisel »

There are a ton of options.
For fuel injection (I assume that is what you have), what is the output pressure of the fuel pump?
Does it meet the requirements of the fuel injectors?
Would the 5/16" line be for both feed and return? Usually the return is smaller.

Take a look at Aeromotive: https://www.aeromotiveinc.com/

I used their 10 micron canister fuel filter and the low pressure regulator for my twin carb setup on my L20B. And I use a VDO pressure gauge on the 1/8" port of the regulator to monitor the 3 psi fuel pressure. My fuel pump is the low pressure Carter. No problems so far.

For your fuel injection system, of course get the regulator for the pressure you need. I don't know if you would need a bypass regulator or not. Others will chime in I'm sure.
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

(Yes for f.i.)I'm not sure what the output of the inline pump is, I'll have to go under there & get the numbers off the pump. It's a carter fuel pump. I walking into to this swap & trying to pick up the pieces to finish it off. Motor sounds good, I have to get the tank back in, install the fuel line. I just needed input on the regulator/return set up. I know in ls swaps we've done we used the corvette regulator/return. Idk about the datsuns. I also need to know where to get a sway bar that will clear that swap, the original one won't fit now.
Thanks, Greg
Thanks, Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

OEM FTW. I used OEM S13 fuel pump, OEM sized 5/16" feed and return, OEM fuel rail/regulator and an OEM style fuel filter. Can't go wrong. Mine has been 35000km strong. FWIW, many run a Walboro 255lph pump on the stock S13/14 rail/regulator.

You want the filter on the feed line since you don't want particles getting into your injectors.

Dave Patten from Futofab sells front sump sway bars or buy 5' of carbon 11 aka "stressproof roundstock" in your diameter of choice and heat/bend/air cool per the Dime Quarterly article. S13 240sx clamps and endlinks work well. (I've done this!)
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

How does the return line run.. Does it split off the filter return.. Do you have any pics of your setup? I need to see how this is ran. The PO didn't explain it very well & I want to make sure I set it up right. Thanks for the info on the sway bar.
Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Search for The 510 Archives, 3.8 GB of Datsun 510 information. In there will be the factory service manual for the S13 and S14 (depends on the year of your KA - post some more pictures of the engine and we can narrow that down for you). In those service manuals will be fuel circuit diagrams. While you're at The 510 Archives, download DQ 9.1 (well, download them all) for a full article on dealing with the wagon fuel tank and hoses. The worst job I ever had on a 510. At least your tank is out, so that's half the battle (and most of the grit).

Return line runs from the back of the regulator which is mounted to the end of your fuel rail.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

K, thanks for the info. The ka24de is out of a 92 240sx.
I know these questions have been asked & answered several times. I'm new to these swaps, I'm use to dealing with domestic muscle. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Absolutely, that's why I pointed you to the service manuals. Going to be a ton of factory information like that you're going to need to learn and fix the PO's work.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

Thanks Okayfine..

Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

Ty JordanTr..
Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

Here's what I'm dealing with. I located the return/regulator line coming off the fuel rail that OkayFine told me about. Can I bypass all those lines and go straight into the tank with the return? The PO had a return line welded in the tank.
ImageImageImageImage
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

okayfine wrote:Search for The 510 Archives, 3.8 GB of Datsun 510 information. In there will be the factory service manual for the S13 and S14 (depends on the year of your KA - post some more pictures of the engine and we can narrow that down for you). In those service manuals will be fuel circuit diagrams. While you're at The 510 Archives, download DQ 9.1 (well, download them all) for a full article on dealing with the wagon fuel tank and hoses. The worst job I ever had on a 510. At least your tank is out, so that's half the battle (and most of the grit).

Return line runs from the back of the regulator which is mounted to the end of your fuel rail.
Dealing with wagons, you might know if I need all those extra fuel hoses in the pic I posted or not. The original return looks like it had a small plastic tank by the filler neck from what I can see. I want to run the return right into the tank..
Thanks, Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Vapor recovery tank. They got more complex for the late cars. I had a wagon but kept that stock. But I've also had sedans and just ended up venting the tank to atmo.

Tank needs a vent, and using a vapor recovery or some sort of charcoal filter would be environmentally preferable.

Anyway, running your fuel return straight into the tank is a way to go. You definitely don't want to return the fuel rail to the vapor recovery tank.
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

K, ty.. I'm going to run the return to the tank. The PO had the return running through the vapor recovery tank & gas ran out all over the back. I was reading his post on the ratsun forum. I think the best way is like you said, return to the tank.
Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss