Ron Davis radiator questions

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
jonk

Ron Davis radiator questions

Post by jonk »

Hi Guys,

I'm in the market for a new radiator for my SR20det 510. Getting more and more focused on track days, i've realised that my current Jap N13 radiator isn't up to the task and my car overheats after only a lap or two.

I've seen some people on this forum using Ron Davis 1A-22163 (22x16x3") which seems very well priced at $300us, and i'm hoping someone can answer my questions.

That part number is no longer listed, and they now list a 1S-22163. Is anyone aware of the difference between "1S" and "1A"?

Also, is there any reason why nobody used the 24163 (24" wide) or wider? According to my measurements, it should fit fairly easily, even with intercooler piping (I'm using a generic china 450x300x76 intercooler. My current radiator is about 27 inches wide). The CX racing radiators people use is about 28" if I'm not mistaken, so why go only 22 inch with the Ron Davis?

Is there something I am missing?
Surely bigger is better..?

Thanks for your help.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Re: Ron Davis radiator questions

Post by PoorMtnKid »

I have the Ron Davis radiator that McKinney Motor sports builds....... Not too sure on the excat part number but I can measure the length when I get home.
looking for pass. side arm rest
jonk

Post by jonk »

PoorMtnKid wrote:I have the Ron Davis radiator that McKinney Motor sports builds....... Not too sure on the excat part number but I can measure the length when I get home.
Yes please. If its not too much trouble...
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

The fin area covers 18Wx14.5H. Add two inches on each side for the end tanks. Top of the radiator measures 3 inches , hope that helps
jonk

Post by jonk »

PoorMtnKid wrote:The fin area covers 18Wx14.5H. Add two inches on each side for the end tanks. Top of the radiator measures 3 inches , hope that helps
Thanks a a lot for that.
It does sit above the chassis rails at the bottom, yeah? (as in not between)?

Cheers,
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Here is a link to my build, specifically a page where I was working on the radiator. You can see in the first photo the brackets on the bottom frame rail.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15796&start=660

Page 47 of the build has a good picture of the upper mount and shows how high above the top rail it sits.
jonk

Post by jonk »

PoorMtnKid wrote:Here is a link to my build, specifically a page where I was working on the radiator. You can see in the first photo the brackets on the bottom frame rail.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15796&start=660

Page 47 of the build has a good picture of the upper mount and shows how high above the top rail it sits.

Looking at your pics, i don't see any reason why the 24" wide version won't fit.

Thanks a lot for that!
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

You will just need to cut out more of the support to clear the opening for air to hit. Good luck
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... ud+project

For what it is worth, here is a link to my fan/radiator project. I did open up the rad support to maximize the surface area of the rad exposed to air flow.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
jonk

Post by jonk »

bertvorgon wrote:http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... ud+project

For what it is worth, here is a link to my fan/radiator project. I did open up the rad support to maximize the surface area of the rad exposed to air flow.
That's a good idea. Thanks for sharing.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Hey guys I have another question in regards to the Ron Davis #1S- 22163 rad listed above. What did you guys do for the radiator hose connections? I know the Sr's inlet and outlet on the engine is about 33-35mm 1 11/32 and the Ron Davis in and outs connections are 1-1/2 and 1-3/4. Thanks in advance to those who chime.
Oh FYI the #1A-22163-1 is with fan and shroud. No fan and shroud #1S- 22163

Thank again
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !