Carbed KA24DE

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
DADZSUN
Supporter

Re: Carbed KA24DE

Post by DADZSUN »

Assuming your DE pulley/timing cover is not much different than my KA24E (other than grooved belt vs. a V belt), here's a link to the page on my build thread which shows how I mounted my trigger wheel for MegaJolt install: http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... 1&start=75

I basically grinded off the un-used rear track then had a good machine shop lathe a small recessed ring into the pulley to properly alight the trigger wheel. Be sure to carry the timing marks forward before shaving that back track, it's something I unfortunately didn't do.
KA_Trigger_2.jpg
KA_Trigger_2.jpg (203.02 KiB) Viewed 6947 times
KA_Trigger.jpg
KA_Trigger.jpg (161.25 KiB) Viewed 6947 times
Trigger_Wheel_3.jpg
Trigger_Wheel_3.jpg (54.21 KiB) Viewed 6947 times
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Thanks.

I believe they are pretty similar pulleys, but the covers are totally different . That looks like it would clear though

Sorry for the lack of updates been super busy and side tracked from the build.

I did find out on closer inspection that the bare head I picked up is already ported and polished and in great shape... With the exception that I am missing the front cam cap on one side.... Bummer... I know it's not ideal but I might steal the cap from my other head and give it a try to see if it spins freely

Also the buckets have seen better days so I may use the buckets from my other head

Not sure if frankensteining a head is really ideal though....
'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - Carb'ed KA24DE
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Long time with no updates... but more to come soon.

Block and rotating assembly just went off to the machine shop.

Custom rear sump pan being fabbed by Ray at Garage Autohero up in the Seattle area.

Need to decide if I rebuild the bare ... but ported and polished head... or rebuild the complete head... and maybe have it ported an polished.

Also still need to get the trigger wheel added to the crank pulley, that should be done soon.

After that its just a matter of bolting it all up I think... Famous last words... Hahahaha

More updates to come.
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Sorry for a lack of updates...

Took a while to get parts together and get stuff off to the machine shop.... and there is good news and bad news... block is bored, rotating assembly is being balanced... but apparently both heads I have are no good. Told by the machine shop that both have gotten hot enough to have head gasket material melt to the head.... and cant seem to find a place with a rebuilt head that doesnt require a good core deposit...

Also tore open the dash and the wiring was a mess... full of splices and bad wiring... impossible to follow... so rewiring the car as well with an American Autowire Highway 15 Harness. Since I am rewiring I decided to swap gauges out as well so going to Speed Hut gauges with a custom sheet metal dash.

Hopefully more positive updates soon
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Just a teaser shot...
Last edited by demo243 on 10 Jan 2018 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
Hakosuka510

Post by Hakosuka510 »

demo243 wrote:Told by the machine shop that both have gotten hot enough to have head gasket material melt to the head
Find a different machine shop. What they're telling you is a total, in technical terms, "crock."

Are the heads actually warped, or are they flat? If they're not warped, and not cracked anywhere, then they're perfectly rebuildable.

"Gasket material melted to the head." Yeah, that's a new one to me. Awesome. :roll: Do they just have like, old fibrous OEM head gasket material stuck to them? Like almost every other used head in the world?
demo243

Post by demo243 »

so that was there way of saying the heads were too warped to work... after getting some more info. The said they could possibly make the ported heard work by heating it up and trying to realign it but it was missing a cam cap and would require a lot work and $... could be why when I dropped cams into it and torqued down the caps the cams barely spun...

Any way, I should have the block and balanced rotating assembly back next week. I think I have found a clean rebuilt head, and now just waiting on the oil pan to be finished.

Going to bolt my spare block up to the trans this weekend to check for clearances and hopefully cut the shifter hole.

Stay tuned... things are rolling again
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Alright - making progress

Picked up a rebuilt head

Got the block and everything back.

Bored - honed - crank polished - rotating assembly balanced - trigger wheel mounted (photos to come)

Bad heads are kicking it in the back there....

Going to run the ARP head studs but not the ones for the mains .... Heard they can distort the girdle and cause the crank to chew through bearings so just going to get some replacement Nissan mains.

Side project - started working on a custom dash out of sheet aluminum - going with speed hut gauges

Also got the fuse box and mega jolt box mounted up below the glove box

Project is rolling again!
Last edited by demo243 on 10 Jan 2018 20:32, edited 1 time in total.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Before you assemble I'd deburr the combustion chamber to avoid hot spots creating detonation.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Three B's Racing wrote:Before you assemble I'd deburr the combustion chamber to avoid hot spots creating detonation.
Ill definitely look closer at them.

Updates to come soon
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Couple more updates -

Got most of the holes cut in the dash, just need to order the gauges and add the dimmer

Added Power

Got an update from Ray at Garage Autohero - Pan is moving along

Went ahead cut the trans tunnel and test fit my spare block and trans - tossed one of my bad heads on top for reference

Trans seems to be sitting to low with a T3 Crossmember and 260z trans isolator.... giving the engine a bit of a tilt back. - Mocked up with 510 mounts with the upper soft mount holes in the lower crossmember holes...

any thoughts? or remedies other then just adding a spacer between the trans isolator and crossmember?
Last edited by demo243 on 10 Jan 2018 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

demo243 wrote:
Trans seems to be sitting to low with a T3 Crossmember and 260z trans isolator.... giving the engine a bit of a tilt back. - Mocked up with 510 mounts with the upper soft mount holes in the lower crossmember holes...

any thoughts? or remedies other then just adding a spacer between the trans isolator and crossmember?

What's your angle like - transmission output relative to the diff input flange? This is what really matters, as it should be within 1 to 2 degrees in order to keep drive line vibration to a minimum. A simple magnetic angle gauge will work for this.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Havent had a chance to look yet

Need to put the car up on stands to check- was basing my observations on other swaps.

I've been told the t3 xmember is too low and needs about an inch spacer to get the trans up..... Bummed
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I have another question for you - who makes that intake manifold? I meant to ask when you posted the "Teaser Shot" a while back.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Byron510 wrote:I have another question for you - who makes that intake manifold? I meant to ask when you posted the "Teaser Shot" a while back.

Byron
That is a really good question and I do not know .... Only seen one photo of it online.

I have searched for hours and can't come up with anything.... But someone put some time, thought and dollars into it.