Carbed KA24DE

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Wtb - Carbed Ka24De Parts - Manifold/distributor

Post by okayfine »

Watched the Hot Rod show. They'd know better than I, but it would seem the headers they used were oversized to begin with.

Which may well be the case with KA headers on the market, too. But without further experiments, I don't think you can safely say you can bash any header and not see loss.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
demo243

Post by demo243 »

okayfine wrote:Watched the Hot Rod show. They'd know better than I, but it would seem the headers they used were oversized to begin with.

Which may well be the case with KA headers on the market, too. But without further experiments, I don't think you can safely say you can bash any header and not see loss.
That is probably true... but I think if your not reckless with your "reshaping" your probably ok.
'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - Carb'ed KA24DE
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Just an update incase someone else stumbles upon this post.

There were a few intake produced. I have managed to track down two. One is welded and one is cast. I received the welded earlier this week. These were produced by Ed Pink Racing for Nissan Motorsports USA.

The other one I have not be able to identify who made it. Should be here Monday.
Last edited by demo243 on 10 Jan 2018 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Interesting, but I have to ask - why buy both?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Partly curiosity.... and I'm not sure what I am going to run for a throttle linkage yet either. I wanted to get the cast one, but the welded one came up for sale first as well so I grabbed it just to have one. Then the cast one pulled through so I grabbed that as well.

The welded one requires a center pull linkage, the cast one I can set up on a rod like my current mikuni intake.
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Also now that this is no longer a Want to Buy thread - is it possible to get it moved over to either the powetrain or engine swap thread? I can make the edits to the tittle and the first post. If not I can start a new thread and I can reference it here for future searchers
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

demo243 wrote:Also now that this is no longer a Want to Buy thread - is it possible to get it moved over to either the powetrain or engine swap thread? I can make the edits to the tittle and the first post. If not I can start a new thread and I can reference it here for future searchers
Done
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Carbed Ka24De Parts - Manifold/distributor

Post by okayfine »

Cool to have an Ed Pink piece!
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
demo243

Re: Carbed Ka24De Parts - Manifold/distributor

Post by demo243 »

okayfine wrote:Cool to have an Ed Pink piece!
yea definitely is - and it supposedly came off a motor that was purchase from one of the CORR teams so it may have even been raced.
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Byron510 wrote:
demo243 wrote:Also now that this is no longer a Want to Buy thread - is it possible to get it moved over to either the powetrain or engine swap thread? I can make the edits to the tittle and the first post. If not I can start a new thread and I can reference it here for future searchers
Done
Thanks!

Keep tabs for the build here
demo243

Re: Carbed KA24DE

Post by demo243 »

So well start with some background info here, I haven't posted much on here, been mostly on the ratsun forum. Have a build thread going over there- http://community.ratsun.net/topic/46032 ... autocross/ - But there is some killer info over here and I have been lurking for a while. I think Ill use this thread as the main one for this build with the wealth of tech knowledge here and the nostalgia for carbs.

Anyway, I picked the car up when I was back on the east coast in CT. A nice gentleman in Maryland passed it on to me.

The plan had always been to autocross it and eventually track it- After a bit of work I got it out on the autocross
Last edited by demo243 on 10 Jan 2018 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Life brought be out to California... and I definitely cant complain about that.

And Access to tracks!!!
Last edited by demo243 on 10 Jan 2018 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Unfortunately the track exposed the weaknesses in the car... the first track day I had carb issues which turned out to be a needle valve issue and then later figured out one of the ears on my webers was broken... so I upgraded to a pair of mikuni 44s. Definitely an upgrade on the L20 and the car was running great, except it had a pretty good oil leak.

My original plan was to build the L motor into a 150-200hp race motor... but I got to thinking that a race motor like that wasnt going to be very fun on the street... and a ka with some nice low end torque could be a really fun motor for street, autox and track day fun.

I researching and found dukes thread. I wanted to run carbs since I had a nice new set of mikunis and I like the electrical simplicity and nostalgia of them. Dukes thread proved it was doable and that was the downfall.

I picked up a KA w/ auto trans for cheap

Scored a deal on an engine stand and hoist the same day

I figured I would sit on it for a while and slowly build it...

Then I was prepping for my last track day, I had a pretty bad oil leak, so I pulled the L motor and resealed it.

Everything was going well until a couple weeks later on my first lap of the second run on the track and the crank pulley blew off... I check the torque on it multiple times but I guess it wasnt good enough.

A couple of tow rides later I made it home

this kicked the KA into the front line and I decided to get moving on it
demo243

Post by demo243 »

So- here we are building a Carb'ed KA.

Current plan is -

Full Rebuild to "Stock" Specs but over bored .5mm - possibly a forged piston, but no more then 10:1 comp
Stock Rods
Stock Crank
ARP Head Studs and Main bolts
Mikuni 44 Carbs
4-2-1 Header
Ford EDIS-4/MegaJolt Ignition
PDM Racing Stage 2 Cams
Reversed cross member on so front sump pan
Futofab sway
5spd 240sx KA trans
demo243

Post by demo243 »

I started by pulling everything off the KA

All this emissions stuff is worth going to carbs in itself

Then began opening it up

Pistons 2&3 showed some decent wear so I think Ill have to bore it out...

Also a buddy scored a pick and pull trans for me that I was planning to rebuild until a recently rebuilt one popped up on craigslist... so I snagged that... still had the auto at the time, but that is gone now.