Carbed KA24DE

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
demo243

Carbed KA24DE

Post by demo243 »

For photos check out my Project thread-

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... 55#p265355

Edit**** 1/10/18 Well... Photobucket went and screwed this along with most other car forum posts.... The car is running, but dormant for the moment. Made the move back east and now reside in the Boston area. I dont have a garage in my current place so the car is stashed in CT. With the death of photobucket and most of this thread I think I am going to start a project thread to cover the whole car as I go back and transfer all my photos to Flickr. Stay tuned for a link... to follow here...

Edit*** This started as a want to buy post... but has morphed into a Carbed Twin Cam KA build - Keep tabs for info as I bring my parts together and get this thing going.

Right now the plan is to take the 98 Ka24de I picked up and rebuild it and put it in my '71 510 for street/autoX/trackday fun. I have to give credit to DUKE as alot of the motivation has come from him. Feel free to shoot out questions as I have been doing alot of digging around and researching.

Old post ....

I know there are a few of these floating around out there.

Looking to buy a SideDraft intake manifold to run my Mikunis on a S14 KA24DE. Also looking for a modified distributor to run the carbs.

Looking for other assorted swap parts as well- Header, Radiator, cross member, go fast KA parts

Shoot me a pm if you have any of these lying around.

Thanks!
Last edited by demo243 on 28 Jan 2018 07:51, edited 5 times in total.
'71 4 Door - Street/AutoX/Track Day Romper - Carb'ed KA24DE
demo243

Re: Wtb - Carbed Ka24De Parts - Manifold/distributor

Post by demo243 »

Bumping this up since I am still looking for parts.

Intake, Header, Radiator, Crossmember
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

If you're not committed/invested to the DE head, I've got a spare Bogg Yamaha R1 carb intake manifold for KE24e head.
EngineBay.jpg
EngineBay.jpg (171.85 KiB) Viewed 11353 times
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Thanks DADZUN ... But already have the Twin Cam torn apart and about to send it to the machine shop. Pretty set on running a DE
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Intake and header are probably going to be custom parts; I've not heard of a DCOE manifold for the KA/DE, and /DE headers exit under the 510's driver's floor. Parts can be modified, but...
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

About 10'yers ago Andy at Specialty Eng asked if I'd make a cast carb manifold for the DE engine, but I never did get his project off the ground. Since then I have seen less than 10 cars completed with a carbed DE power plant. It would have made a good addition, I agree. But not too many takers.

I think you'll be fabricating this component. Do keep us posted.

Byron.
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
mell00510

Post by mell00510 »

Contact Mattndew76 here the realm. He will cut you a real nice set of flanges for all of the pieces you are using. Very reasonable, great guy!
datzenmike wrote:Too bad about the fire wall. What does the V8 weigh?
OUTthere

Post by OUTthere »

:idea:
Attachments
Mattndew76 ka24de carbed intake flange 005.JPG
Mattndew76 ka24de carbed intake flange 005.JPG (449.42 KiB) Viewed 11137 times
demo243

Post by demo243 »

thats a nice looking flange.

Got a couple leads on manifolds right now, but if not custom will be the route.

As for a header from what I have read a OBX header fits ok... with some Image

Also need to decide if I go Electromotive XDI or Megajolt/Ford EDIS .... Definitely going crank fire though.

Need to start a new thread for this build process.
OUTthere

Post by OUTthere »

Crank fire!
Can usually find a cheap used 240 header and cut it up, they usually beat on them to fit the 240's so cutting one is nothing.

Which crankshaft are you using? Did you find a cam you like and what is the profile?
Attachments
Mattndew76 intake flange for carb - 240 header 007.JPG
Mattndew76 intake flange for carb - 240 header 007.JPG (461.69 KiB) Viewed 11108 times
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

The KA24DE Flange shown by OUTthere are $200.00, and I can make adapters to run Mikuni's, Dellorto, Webber, and just about any other side draft.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
demo243

Post by demo243 »

Mattndew76 wrote:The KA24DE Flange shown by OUTthere are $200.00, and I can make adapters to run Mikuni's, Dellorto, Webber, and just about any other side draft.
Cool Ill let you know if I end up needing some flanges
OUTthere wrote:Crank fire!
Can usually find a cheap used 240 header and cut it up, they usually beat on them to fit the 240's so cutting one is nothing.

Which crankshaft are you using? Did you find a cam you like and what is the profile?
I just watched a you tube recently that showed you really have to pretty much destroy a header to have any negative effects... been keeping my eye on craiglist for a used header...

Just using the stock crankshaft, the only "drop in" fully balanced one I have found is the crower one for 2k...

For Cam's pretty sure I am going to run the PDM Stage 2 cams- They arent the cheapest but they seem like they have the most thought in them and have the best performance without having to upgrade the valvetrain
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

4-into-1 240SX headers are probably a pipe dream in a 510. Tri-Y is a lot more likely to fit without massive work. You'll still need to rework the collector, and possibly far up the collector, to route it into the trans tunnel area. Stock SX routing works only for rally cars.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

demo243 wrote:
I just watched a you tube recently that showed you really have to pretty much destroy a header to have any negative effects... been keeping my eye on craiglist for a used header...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azPKIjxmmdU

It was a pretty cool show....they gained power after the first few bashes to it.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
demo243

Post by demo243 »

okayfine wrote:4-into-1 240SX headers are probably a pipe dream in a 510. Tri-Y is a lot more likely to fit without massive work. You'll still need to rework the collector, and possibly far up the collector, to route it into the trans tunnel area. Stock SX routing works only for rally cars.
There seems to be pretty good info on both the Datsun and 240 sites that a 4-2-1 header suits the ka much better