KA24de exhaust question

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
rdanard
Supporter

KA24de exhaust question

Post by rdanard »

I'm just finishing a KA24de swap into a 1970 2dr 510. Im just about to build the exhaust, I have a stock exhaust manifold but i was wondering if anyone has any input towards some of these ebay headers 4-2-1 long, or i'm seeing some shorty headers as well. I'm sure its been covered a bunch but all the info and posts I've found have been from a few years back, just looking for some recent info or parts i could order. Thanks Ryan
JordanTr

Re: KA24de exhaust question

Post by JordanTr »

It's tight getting the stock header to fit let alone a 4-1 or larger tubed aftermarket one. The problem is that many headers use that space where the 510 steering box is.

If you find a 4-2-1 header that will clear the box, the final collector will probably be too low. I ran the stock S13 4-2-1 setup and modified the pipes (when there are 2 in //) to hug the floor nice and tight.

Good luck Ryan!
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
rdanard
Supporter

Post by rdanard »

I'm actually having a hard time find a stock 2-1 pipe, but every new header i'm seeing right now seems to be a minimum of $400-$500 with the exchange rate. :x ahaha i guess this is datsun life!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

S-chassis KA headers will also place the collector below the driver's floor - not where you want it on a low 510. None of the S-chassis stuff will bolt on (well, weld on). Stock cast manifold is easier, and the 4-2 piece isn't a bad design.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
akara

Post by akara »

my engine didnt have the stock exhaust manifold when i got it so I bought the cheapest 4-2-1 design on ebay, one of the tubes hits the box so i cut it out, flipped it around, and welded it back in so it bends away from the box. its actually way easier to get this header in and out now than an L series header!