L28det into 510?

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
nawslew

L28det into 510?

Post by nawslew »

anyone put an L28det into a 510? Im just day dreaming, but i thought id be able to find lots and haven't found any yet. Post any pics you have!
I must be missing something, cause this would be a very cool swap! haha
okayfine
Supporter

Re: L28det into 510?

Post by okayfine »

It apparently was cool, before the VG30. Since, it's just a waste of a 510 shell that has to be cut to fit the half-again as long engine. Then think of the half-again as much weight over the front axle.

Search through some of the old issues of 5'n'Dime and FTA, there were a number of L28 cars. No such thing as an L28DET, though.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

KA-E or DE as much power, or SR more power, all weigh less, fit, newer technology efi and well documented. VG30i or VG30E as much power, gobs of torque at low speed. Fits but technically difficult thus impressive. Now that's cool.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Example of the fitment issue (see also: trans shifter two more cylinders rearwards):

http://www.bryanf.com/510/cars.htm
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
grimlid

Post by grimlid »

sweet article and crazy fitment of the straight six. Always wanted to see that...... thanks
I love my car deeply. I just sometimes wish it wasn't factory green.
MylilDime

Post by MylilDime »

I have a l28et swapped into my 510...all I gotta say is, avoid it unless you are okay with cutting into the 510. In hindsight, I would have done a SR20 swap since there's much more info and seems to be an easier swap.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I’d love to see photos of your L28ET installation.
I bought a 68 4 dr car years ago that had an L28ET. It used an S30 front X-member with rearward strut rods and the tunnel was cut out quite a bit - right up into the cowel making the sock wiper linkage inoperable and as noted the shifter was back quite a ways. The car was an intersting concept, but mine was a real hack job. I replaced the rustt floors, but then sold the car as it was more of a project than I wanted to take on at the time.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.